NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
SDplus
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by SDplus » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Ok, this method might change my whole approach. I already had a Win7 PC with all that Sata as IDE setup as an old Audio Studio PC that never really needed upgrades for what it is doing.
But with this it should be easier.
However. I have a brand new Asus BW-16D1HT with original 3.02 Bios.
Is the provided 3.01 or 3.02 Bios UHD friendly, or do I still need to dump my current BIOS and modify it with 1.02?
I know it says the BIOS provided would be already UHD friendly, but with all those options I just want to be certain I do the right thing.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:05 pm

SDplus wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:37 pm
Ok, this method might change my whole approach. I already had a Win7 PC with all that Sata as IDE setup as an old Audio Studio PC that never really needed upgrades for what it is doing.
But with this it should be easier.
However. I have a brand new Asus BW-16D1HT with original 3.02 Bios.
Is the provided 3.01 or 3.02 Bios UHD friendly, or do I still need to dump my current BIOS and modify it with 1.02?
I know it says the BIOS provided would be already UHD friendly, but with all those options I just want to be certain I do the right thing.
Hi,

If your ASUS BW-16D1HT already has 3.02 firmware on it, and 4K UHD discs are working, I'd leave it as is. Have you tried ripping a UHD disc yet?

FYI, there were infact 2 versions of 3.02 firmware. (ASUS re-released 3.02 around Jan 2018 which is not UHD Friendly.) The version we have as part of this tool is UHD Friendly.

PS: I'm shocked that a new drive would come with 3.02. New ASUS drives have been shipping with 3.03 for around a year now.

Anyway, if it works with UHD as is, leave it alone. If not, flash it with 3.02.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

arrbee99
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by arrbee99 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Please excuse the newbie no idea what I'm talking about questions, but -

To be able to rip UHD I need something like this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVWLGW ... f=pricespy ?

If I buy one of those and leave whatever firmware it comes with untouched, Mike will soon be introducing software that'll rip UHDs from it no matter what version firmware it is ?

If I buy something like that now and want to rip without waiting I need to downgrade to firmware version 3.02 (or whatever) assuming its a higher version and the easiest way to do that is by following your first thread post ?

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:38 am

arrbee99 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:23 pm
Please excuse the newbie no idea what I'm talking about questions, but -

To be able to rip UHD I need something like this https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/DVWLGW ... f=pricespy ?

If I buy one of those and leave whatever firmware it comes with untouched, Mike will soon be introducing software that'll rip UHDs from it no matter what version firmware it is ?

If I buy something like that now and want to rip without waiting I need to downgrade to firmware version 3.02 (or whatever) assuming its a higher version and the easiest way to do that is by following your first thread post ?
Yes, that is correct.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

arrbee99
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by arrbee99 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:50 am

Jolly good. Thank you.

arrbee99
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:44 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by arrbee99 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 am

Oh. And if I do change firmware using this method, The LG drive can be in any computer, new or old, SATA or whatever it is, UEFI or not, any connection ? In my case probably a Tower PC, maybe 3 or 4 years old, replacing an existing BR drive.Thanks again.

zorin66
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by zorin66 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am

I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:50 am

arrbee99 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 am
Oh. And if I do change firmware using this method, The LG drive can be in any computer, new or old, SATA or whatever it is, UEFI or not, any connection ? In my case probably a Tower PC, maybe 3 or 4 years old, replacing an existing BR drive.Thanks again.
Yes, not an issue at all.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 am

zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am
I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr
And that's why you should research these things a little better before jumping right in!!!

I have attached the WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) 1.01 firmware (downgrade enabled) for you to try.

Try using this method first. (I have a feeling it won't work and you might get a checksum mismatch error.) If this happens, you will need to use the old dosflash/eeprom data mover method.

Good luck!
HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.01_NOBJ_DE.bin.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 171 times
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

zorin66
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by zorin66 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 am
zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am
I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr
And that's why you should research these things a little better before jumping right in!!!

I have attached the WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) 1.01 firmware (downgrade enabled) for you to try.

Try using this method first. (I have a feeling it won't work and you might get a checksum mismatch error.) If this happens, you will need to use the old dosflash/eeprom data mover method.

Good luck!

HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.01_NOBJ_DE.bin.zip
I think that I got it flashed correctly. I had to boot from usb stick with live windows 7. I had to use DosFlash32_BH16NS40.exe. I picked your bin file and it wrote it.

I still have the same problem, if I put a music CD into the drive and click on the drive, it spits out the CD and tells me to insert a disc.

You have anything else for me to try? I really appreciate your help.

thanks,
Matt

zorin66
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:59 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by zorin66 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 am
zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am
I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr
And that's why you should research these things a little better before jumping right in!!!

I have attached the WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) 1.01 firmware (downgrade enabled) for you to try.

Try using this method first. (I have a feeling it won't work and you might get a checksum mismatch error.) If this happens, you will need to use the old dosflash/eeprom data mover method.

Good luck!

HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.01_NOBJ_DE.bin.zip
It looks like the file you game me was for the SVC code: NS50. I need the SVC code :NS40

Do you happen to have it?

thanks,
Matt

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:47 pm

zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:17 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 am
zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am
I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr
And that's why you should research these things a little better before jumping right in!!!

I have attached the WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) 1.01 firmware (downgrade enabled) for you to try.

Try using this method first. (I have a feeling it won't work and you might get a checksum mismatch error.) If this happens, you will need to use the old dosflash/eeprom data mover method.

Good luck!

HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.01_NOBJ_DE.bin.zip
I think that I got it flashed correctly. I had to boot from usb stick with live windows 7. I had to use DosFlash32_BH16NS40.exe. I picked your bin file and it wrote it.

I still have the same problem, if I put a music CD into the drive and click on the drive, it spits out the CD and tells me to insert a disc.

You have anything else for me to try? I really appreciate your help.

thanks,
Matt
You did what!?!?

Did you use the eeprom data mover as per the old dosflash method's instructions to copy your calibration data to the attached firmware before flashing with dosflash? Geez, I hope so......
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:53 pm

zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:10 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:00 am
zorin66 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:07 am
I have the LG model WH16NS40 SVC Code: NS40

I flashed it with DE_LG_WH16NS40_1.02_NS50.bin

Now when I put a disc in, windows does not think a disc in in the drive. I went to the LG site and got their 1.03 firmware and flashed that but still have the same issue.

Anyone know how to get the drive working again? Guess I should not have flashed it with NS50 when I have NS40. grrrrrr
And that's why you should research these things a little better before jumping right in!!!

I have attached the WH16NS40 (SVC NS40) 1.01 firmware (downgrade enabled) for you to try.

Try using this method first. (I have a feeling it won't work and you might get a checksum mismatch error.) If this happens, you will need to use the old dosflash/eeprom data mover method.

Good luck!

HLDS_JB7_BRAND_1.01_NOBJ_DE.bin.zip
It looks like the file you game me was for the SVC code: NS50. I need the SVC code :NS40

Do you happen to have it?

thanks,
Matt
Why do you think that? It is certainly the NS40 1.01 firmware. See the images below. One is for the NS50 firmware and the other is for the firmware I attached for you (NS40). Generally if a firmware is for the NS50, it will say NS50 in the text.
Attachments
NS50.jpg
NS50.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
NS40.jpg
NS40.jpg (13.85 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

goody83
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:00 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by goody83 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:04 am

Just checking if i get a asus BW-16D1HT with frimware 3.03 can i use this to downgrade

thanks,

sorariku124
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 am

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher

Post by sorariku124 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:24 am

I'm also just checking in to make sure this works, if I buy this drive here, the LG WH16NS40, which I believe is a supported drive, this will work if it comes with too new of firmware, right?

Post Reply