Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Metallikahn

Re: Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV

Post by Metallikahn »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm
TheShoe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm
the latest lav update fixed all audio drop outs for me and others for atmos tracks.

give it a try.
I have, believe me. I was testing it on the JRiver forum when Nev was fixing it. It does not fix ALL the audio dropouts. It vastly improved the situation, but, with a MakeMKV rip of Incredibles 2 I still get audio drops periodically.
It's gotta be how make mkv goes about extracting seemless branching tracks, or just the tracks in general. Tried the remixed incredible 2 last night and had the first drop at 45 seconds and the whole thing froze at 69 seconds. Gonna try playing the folder rip/backup (once I figure out how to do that) and see how it works.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's been my theory, as well...that seamless branching on these discs is somehow causing these weird little issues that are just enough to screw up the audio. What's even more weird is if you rip just the TrueHD without the ATMOS extensions it plays just fine without issue.
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

Can that be done from within makemkv somehow or does it require using eac3to and a remux? I'd settle for just a basic True HD track on these problem discs.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Good question I'm not sure what they used. Alternatively those who kept the ATMOS extensions and play it on a receiver incapable of handling ATMOS also noticed no issues. It's kind of weird.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Metallikahn wrote:
TheShoe wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:23 pm
the latest lav update fixed all audio drop outs for me and others for atmos tracks.

give it a try.
Would, but I'm streaming to an Oppo 203 (so disappointed Oppo stopped making players and stopped updating the firmware on this... best player of any kind I've ever had!) , which has nothing to do with lav. Oh well... I've got Incredibles 2 multiplexing right now with the newly extracted atmos track. I'll give it a try later tonight when it's finished and see whats up.
Actually Oppo has stated firmware updates will continue current version is 65

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:15 pm
Good question I'm not sure what they used. Alternatively those who kept the ATMOS extensions and play it on a receiver incapable of handling ATMOS also noticed no issues. It's kind of weird.
Not everybody... I just upgraded to an atmos avr in the last couple weeks. Prior to that I was still getting the atmos skips on certain uhd mkv's, despite not having any atmos processing. Really wish this was being more actively looked at for solutions (or just being discussed more to help find work arounds at least.)
Metallikahn

Post by Metallikahn »

spl147 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:06 pm
Actually Oppo has stated firmware updates will continue current version is 65

Fair enough. Hadn't seen an update since June so figured they'd cut that off as well. Just saw they released one in February, but my player must have auto updated and is already on the most current firmware. Hopefully their next update in 3-4 months solves the audio dropouts on seemless branching atmos mkvs. :roll: lol
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Metallikahn wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 pm
Not everybody... I just upgraded to an atmos avr in the last couple weeks. Prior to that I was still getting the atmos skips on certain uhd mkv's, despite not having any atmos processing. Really wish this was being more actively looked at for solutions (or just being discussed more to help find work arounds at least.)
It's being actively looked at by a competing software as I have an open issue with them for it specifically. They are able to repro the issue so at some point I suspect they'll release a fix for it. MakeMKV hopefully will get the same kind of treatment but that's unknown if Mike's even looking at it. We know he's busy with LibreDrive support right now. But it definitely needs to be addressed at some point.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:That's been my theory, as well...that seamless branching on these discs is somehow causing these weird little issues that are just enough to screw up the audio. What's even more weird is if you rip just the TrueHD without the ATMOS extensions it plays just fine without issue.
How can you rip truehd without atmos? It’s the same track!

If the truehd track has atmos there is no option to unselect atmos

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

They're converting it with ffmpeg and stripping off the Atmos extension to create a thd track.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:They're converting it with ffmpeg and stripping off the Atmos extension to create a thd track.

But why? If you have a atmos receiver and no atmos speakers configured it plays truehd, if you have a truehd reciever but not atmos it plays truehd.

Seems pointless

spl147

Post by spl147 »

I watched Incredibles 2 on nVidia Shield with Kodi 18 and had 0 audio issues

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

That's great that it works for you. I'm telling you it doesn't for a lot of us.

spl147

Post by spl147 »

SamuriHL wrote:That's great that it works for you. I'm telling you it doesn't for a lot of us.

Sounds like a player or receiver issue to me

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

If it were a receiver issue the original disc wouldn't play correctly. In any case I am glad you have no issues playing it. I'm not going to spend more time attempting to "convince you" that some of us are seeing issues with these titles.