Blu-ray Rewriter + discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
John310

Blu-ray Rewriter + discs

Post by John310 »

Hi everyone :)
I'm new here so please accept my apologises if this post is in wrong place. I have just upgraded my pc tower and wan to upgrade from a internal DVD rewriter to a Internal blu-ray rewriter.

I have tried to research online and it seems like opinions are very split between LG and Pioneer. can any one tell me what they use and maybe help me decide which one to go with? I will be using it along side Make Mkv for ripping and also will be burning as well in the future.

I have came across these two:
Pioneer BDR-209EBK 128GB 16x Multilayer BDRW
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-BDR-20 ... op?ie=UTF8

and
LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B 16 x Internal SATA BDRW
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-BH16NS55-AU ... merReviews

any advice or tips is welcomed. Thanks
John310
Woodstock

Re: Blu-ray Rewriter + discs

Post by Woodstock »

Do you want UHD ripping capability?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
John310

Post by John310 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:26 pm
Do you want UHD ripping capability?
Hi woodstock,
I don't really need it at the moment as I'm just Moving into blu-ray from DVD but it would be handy to have the capability I suppose.

what can you recommend either way?

thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The Pioneer gets high marks, EXCEPT when it comes to UHD. It is not currently supported, and may never be, for ripping UHD.

The LG works for everything, but, depending on its firmware, may need to be "reflashed" for UHD capability. There are also ASUS models with similar specs (and they seem to be the same hardware).

If/when you decide to move to UHD, you can worry about flashing drives. Neither needs anything to work for DVD and (regular) BD.
John310

Post by John310 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm
The Pioneer gets high marks, EXCEPT when it comes to UHD. It is not currently supported, and may never be, for ripping UHD.

The LG works for everything, but, depending on its firmware, may need to be "reflashed" for UHD capability. There are also ASUS models with similar specs (and they seem to be the same hardware).

If/when you decide to move to UHD, you can worry about flashing drives. Neither needs anything to work for DVD and (regular) BD.
Thanks for the reply. I think from that its probably best to go with a LG then and it seems Make MkV works well with LG as well. what LG internal drive would you recommend?

Thanks
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I can only comment directly on what I own. My current setup uses an ASUS BW-16D1HT and an LG WH16NS40 for primary duties, and both work well for DVD and BD. The LG is already UHD-enabled, and the ASUS can be, when I want to (only own two UHD titles, bought for testing).

Depending on the country you're in, there may be slight variations in the model numbers.

If you read through the LONG message topics in the UHD section, you'll see other recommendations.
John310

Post by John310 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:56 pm
I can only comment directly on what I own. My current setup uses an ASUS BW-16D1HT and an LG WH16NS40 for primary duties, and both work well for DVD and BD. The LG is already UHD-enabled, and the ASUS can be, when I want to (only own two UHD titles, bought for testing).

Depending on the country you're in, there may be slight variations in the model numbers.

If you read through the LONG message topics in the UHD section, you'll see other recommendations.
Woodstock once again thank you for the reply.
The ASUS BW-16D1HT caught my eye in my local PC parts shop for £49 which seems not a bad price I though.
How does the ASUS BW-16D1HT preform for both Blu ray and DVD in terms of ripping and burning? would it be a reliable enough drive? also its ASUS BW-16D1HT basically the same hardware ect as the LG?

Thanks
John310

Post by John310 »

Hi woodstock
just a follow up on my last reply

Thanks for all the information. it sounds like this Drive will be useful to me so I have now ordered it. I will keep this thread posted on how it goes for me.

Many Thanks
John310