NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
conrailguy

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by conrailguy »

Thank you SamuriHL for the quick reply,I am pretty much a rookie on this stuff,I know I need to read my bin file before I do anything,that being said,I think I will sit tight.I cant seem to get Dos flash to work,I even went as far as to install Windows x86 on an old PC,thinking my problem was running the 64 bit system on my main computer? On the 32 bit system I get an error stating I can't run a 16 bit application on a 32 bit system or something to that effect.I'll just keep reading and plugging along till I can get Dos flash working.I just wish there was a way I could read and save my bin file using the H&L program or some other windows based program.Oh well!
Thanks again for the assistance.
SamuriHL

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL »

If you're trying to screw around with dosflash then you didn't read what I posted carefully enough. Take your time and make sure you fully read and understand cause dosflash is *NOT* needed and is NOT used. However, the very important thing I said was to ensure that your drive has the NS50 SVC code on the label. This requires taking the drive out and looking at it. If you fail to do this and flash it anyway, you very well may brick the drive. *IF* it has SVC code of NS50, then it's safe to flash it with either of the 2 Windows flasher programs and a DE firmware. But please...PLEASE do not flash your drive with ANYTHING until you VERIFY that it's NS50. I don't want you to end up in a situation where your drive can't read anything and then have to try to use dosflash to recover it.
grock1722@gmail.com

Post by grock1722@gmail.com »

WHAT A LEGEND

Just got a BW-16D1HT delivered that arrived from Amazon with 3.03 firmware, and woudln't open a 4k disc, assumed I'd have to return it. This downgraded my drive 3.02. Thank you so much!
conrailguy

Post by conrailguy »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 pm
If you're trying to screw around with dosflash then you didn't read what I posted carefully enough. Take your time and make sure you fully read and understand cause dosflash is *NOT* needed and is NOT used. However, the very important thing I said was to ensure that your drive has the NS50 SVC code on the label. This requires taking the drive out and looking at it. If you fail to do this and flash it anyway, you very well may brick the drive. *IF* it has SVC code of NS50, then it's safe to flash it with either of the 2 Windows flasher programs and a DE firmware. But please...PLEASE do not flash your drive with ANYTHING until you VERIFY that it's NS50. I don't want you to end up in a situation where your drive can't read anything and then have to try to use dosflash to recover it.
Hello again SamuriHL,
First off,thanks for your reply and concern for me screwing it up!My WH16NS40 does have theNS50 SVC code.I have done a ton of reading and am trying to be cautious.I guess I may be overthinking it,from a lot of the posts I read it seemed imperative to read and save the flash bin and save it in a few places,just in case you had any problems flashing you could revert back to your "factory"bin.After a little more reading,it seems that the DE firmware only changes 2 data bytes which converts it to the friendly firmware.So please correct me if I am wrong-flashed with the new DE.102 bin,I can freely flash other bins and not have to worry about being unable to reflash unless I flashed locked firmware.Is this Correct?
Once again thanks for your time and effort
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

conrailguy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm
Hello again SamuriHL,
First off,thanks for your reply and concern for me screwing it up!My WH16NS40 does have theNS50 SVC code.I have done a ton of reading and am trying to be cautious.I guess I may be overthinking it,from a lot of the posts I read it seemed imperative to read and save the flash bin and save it in a few places,just in case you had any problems flashing you could revert back to your "factory"bin.After a little more reading,it seems that the DE firmware only changes 2 data bytes which converts it to the friendly firmware.So please correct me if I am wrong-flashed with the new DE.102 bin,I can freely flash other bins and not have to worry about being unable to reflash unless I flashed locked firmware.Is this Correct?
Ok, first things first, NS50 is exactly what you want. So that's good. The DE firmware is patched so that with the patched Windows flasher (Either the LG one or Marty's ASUS one) will allow the firmware to flash to the drive. With your 1.03 firmware on there now, if you tried to downgrade to a UHD friendly 1.02, as an example, it will fail because a stock unpatched 1.02 firmware is not downgrade enabled. So hopefully that clears up that part.

Now, as for flashing, you can flash the patched 1.02 firmware for your drive or the MK version that Mike created that restores LibreDrive functionality to the 1.03 firmware. Either option can be flashed with the windows flashers. The windows flashers use the safe method for updating a drive so there's no need to read the firmware that's on the drive first. You can just flash it and be good to go.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Once you settle on the firmware you want to use, flashing the drive should take only a couple of minutes and you'll be done. After you have it working with LibreDrive, I'd leave it alone and never flash it again. Once a drive is LibreDrive enabled, there's zero benefit to touching it again.
conrailguy

Post by conrailguy »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:57 pm
conrailguy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm
Hello again SamuriHL,
Ok, first things first, NS50 is exactly what you want. So that's good. The DE firmware is patched so that with the patched Windows flasher (Either the LG one or Marty's ASUS one) will allow the firmware to flash to the drive. With your 1.03 firmware on there now, if you tried to downgrade to a UHD friendly 1.02, as an example, it will fail because a stock unpatched 1.02 firmware is not downgrade enabled. So hopefully that clears up that part.

Now, as for flashing, you can flash the patched 1.02 firmware for your drive or the MK version that Mike created that restores LibreDrive functionality to the 1.03 firmware. Either option can be flashed with the windows flashers. The windows flashers use the safe method for updating a drive so there's no need to read the firmware that's on the drive first. You can just flash it and be good to go.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask. Once you settle on the firmware you want to use, flashing the drive should take only a couple of minutes and you'll be done. After you have it working with LibreDrive, I'd leave it alone and never flash it again. Once a drive is LibreDrive enabled, there's zero benefit to touching it again.
Hi SamuriHL,
Thanks for such a detailed explanation,I fully understand now.I will be flashing my drive soon.Can't thank you enough!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

I have made a couple of updates to the ASUS Flasher.

1. (FIX) I found out a few days ago that the application was previously unable to flash BU40N drives. It works fine now.

2. (UPDATE) The application doesn't like really long firmware file names (such as the one's from Mike), so it edits the name displayed under "FW Selected:" (The application will show the MakeMKV firmwares with "MK" at the end).

Both the link and attachment in the first post have been updated...

Thanks everyone!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks man. Great work on this.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bleachmech

Post by Bleachmech »

Hi there. I'm trying to flash my BW-16D1HT using the ASUS ODD FW CHANGER from 3.00 to 3.02. The drawer opened but it's been about 5 hours now and the 'start' and the 'exit' buttons are still grayed out. I'm guessing something has gone wrong?
New at this so I'm probably stupid.
subman

Post by subman »

Bleachmech wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:15 am
Hi there. I'm trying to flash my BW-16D1HT using the ASUS ODD FW CHANGER from 3.00 to 3.02. The drawer opened but it's been about 5 hours now and the 'start' and the 'exit' buttons are still grayed out. I'm guessing something has gone wrong?
New at this so I'm probably stupid.
The same hapenned to me for a couple of times
The drive after 30 seconds or a minute Is flashed you can confirm under rightclick properties - hardware - properties - events
Note: Firmware MK 3.10 is working fine

My asus bc-12d2ht is working fine with the MK 3.10 bw-16d1ht firmware
Tntdruid

Post by Tntdruid »

Getting:

Updating Failure #1

Drive: ASUS-BC-12D2HT
subman

Post by subman »

Tntdruid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Getting:

Updating Failure #1

What firmware are you on now ?
Japio

Post by Japio »

Just tried to update my drives.

On my BW-16D1H-U I immediately get "Updating Failure #1."

On my LG BP60NB10 The drive only opens and immediately get "Updating Failure #3."
Tntdruid

Post by Tntdruid »

subman wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:28 pm
Tntdruid wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:44 am
Getting:

Updating Failure #1

What firmware are you on now ?
used ASUS-BC-12D2HT-3.01-WM00900-211711151926 from viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19113 now drive looks dead tho