Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse UHD question

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
deathtical

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse UHD question

Post by deathtical »

I got mine from Amazon and it is the US release. The two files I see are these...

Title information
Name: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Source file name: 00249.mpls
Duration: 1:56:50
Chapters count: 16
Size: 46.7 GB
Segment count: 2
Segment map: 1,340
File name: Spider-Man- Into the Spider-Verse_t01.mkv

or

Title information
Source file name: 00250.mpls
Segment map: 1,341
File name: Spider-Man- Into the Spider-Verse_t02.mkv

Aside from the source file and file name, the only thing that raises a flag for me is the segment map. Everything else appear identical. Has anyone seen a difference in the two files?

Thanks
SamuriHL

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse UHD question

Post by SamuriHL »

I don't know what the difference is. I ripped 249. I've not had a chance to watch it yet. I was wondering the same thing though as to what the difference is.
lightsout

Post by lightsout »

I just sat down to rip mine and have the same question.
lwndow

Post by lwndow »

I ripped both. Same run time, 250 is ~25MB bigger. Haven’t had time to do a detailed comparison of them visually yet. Seems like English credits either way (Best Buy version).
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

OK. So I ripped them both. I only ripped the video, the Atmos (English 7.1), Dolby Digital (English 5.1), and all English subtitles. I never rip more than I need. That said 249 ended up being 30.5MB smaller than 250. I ran through the chapters and they both appear to be the same. The chapter count and run time is exactly the same for both. So, not sure what the 30.5MB difference is all about.

Good Luck!
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

One more thing to add. Before I run handbrake on my rips, I use mkvtoolnix and split out the video and audio streams. The size difference I noted before is only in the video streams and not the audio. So I'm curious what the difference is. Maybe some kind of watermarking or something. Let me know if you guys figure it out.

Thanks
jayper

Post by jayper »

I have a hunch as to what the difference is... I have only confirmed this with the regular blu-ray. I will run the same test tomorrow on my UHD disc. I only had time to check the BRs tonight.

There is only one difference in the segment maps for the BR that I bought (Amazon US), and that is 0408.m2ts and 0409.m2ts. When looking at those files, it is the end credits.

I compared them side by side and it looks like 0408.m2ts is the "full credits," in that in includes the actors names displayed on screen in the first minute. Here are some screenshots to illustrate my point. Taken from 0408.m2ts:

Here are screenshots of the same-ish timestamps from 0409.m2ts:

This is most likely triggered when the BR is set to a visually impaired mode with descriptive audio. Just a guess.
deathtical

Post by deathtical »

Good idea. I just looked at that on my rips and you appear to be correct. The "smaller" file has the actor names in and the larger does not. So if you want the actor names and other info during the ending credits, use...

Title information
Source file name: 00249.mpls
Segment map: 1,340
File name: Spider-Man- Into the Spider-Verse_t01.mkv

Good luck guys.