Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
babypuncher

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by babypuncher »

I've seen mentions of firmware version BU10 being compatible with LibreDrive but I can't get my drive on BU11 to read any UHD disks.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

babypuncher wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm
I've seen mentions of firmware version BU10 being compatible with LibreDrive but I can't get my drive on BU11 to read any UHD disks.
Do you have a copy of the BU10 firmware?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
babypuncher

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by babypuncher »

No. Near as I can tell, BU10 is the version that originally shipped on this model when it first rolled out of the factory, so a download of it was never available from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find someone who managed to dump BU10 from an older unit.

The updater here can update a drive with BU10 to BU11 and that's about it.

EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

babypuncher wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am
No. Near as I can tell, BU10 is the version that originally shipped on this model when it first rolled out of the factory, so a download of it was never available from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find someone who managed to dump BU10 from an older unit.

EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.
Confusing. The link to the updater you provided says Version 1.00, not BU11. Also, I thought that the BRUHD-PU3 was a rebadged Pioneer drive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@babypuncher,

You may have to open it up to see what drive it actually is. Also, if you open it up, you can check the connection type. Hopefully it has a SATA connection and not a direct USB connection.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am
babypuncher wrote:

Confusing. The link to the updater you provided says Version 1.00, not BU11. Also, I thought that the BRUHD-PU3 was a rebadged Pioneer drive.
I believe it is a rebadged LG bu40n
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

That could prove helpful if it is a BU40N.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

babypuncher wrote:
Thanks for sharing the link. The updater contains firmware for two re-branded HL-DT-ST drives - BH16NS58 1.01 and BU40N BN11 . The first is already supported with MK firmware. And for BN11 the MK firmware should be available in a day or two.

How do you get the download link? Is there a page with all available firmware updates for Buffalo drives, that a gaijin like me can read?
planet1

Good news indeed !

Post by planet1 »

Good evening,

here is an older FW updater called:

fwupdateroddpt_102.exe

It has an even greater model support list (still keeping my fingers crossed that some of those might be UHD compatible with MK FW after all :roll: :oops: :mrgreen: ):

BRUHD-PU3-BK, BRXL-PT6U3, BRXL-PT6U3-C, BRXL-PT6U3-D
BRXL-PT6U2V, BRXL-PT6U2V-C, BRXL-PT6U2V-D
DVSM-PTS58U2, DVSM-PTS58U2-C, DVSM-PTS58U2-D
DVSM-PT58U2V, DVSM-PT58U2V-C, DVSM-PT58U2V-D
Extracting the EXE-updater yields a 3.5MB firmware file and a FW update utility called Buffalo_105xFWUpg3100_13040911A00A_V1.exe
We can assume that Bufallo uses SATA to USB controllers from Asmedia (ASM 105x).

My drive is detected as follows:
ASMedia-Bufallo-FW.PNG
ASMedia-Bufallo-FW.PNG (2.75 KiB) Viewed 31708 times
ASMedia-Bufallo-Info.png
ASMedia-Bufallo-Info.png (393.42 KiB) Viewed 31708 times
Last but not least here is Bufallo's old FW selection webpage and an overview of their optical drive models.
mike admin

Re: Good news indeed !

Post by mike admin »

planet1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm
here is an older FW updater called:
fwupdateroddpt_102.exe
It has an even greater model support list (still keeping my fingers crossed that some of those might be UHD compatible with MK FW after all :roll: :oops: :mrgreen: ):
Nah, this is upgrader for the firmware enclosure USB chip (the Asmedia one). I did not know they ever released FW upgrade for USB enclosures.

If you do have BN10 drive (you mentioned that you don't have it anymore, but if you do), please send me the discatt.dat made from this drive, before flashing it with MK firmware.

The MK firmware for BN11 is attached. It will be added to the main pack on next update. Please post the result here.
Attachments
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BN11-0M00300-211711201351.zip
MK firmware for Japanese Buffalo BU40 clone, based on BN11
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 899 times
planet1

Partial success!

Post by planet1 »

Hello,

happy news - the crossflash has worked with MartyMcNuts' modified flasher tool,
crossflash-FINISH.PNG
crossflash-FINISH.PNG (10.96 KiB) Viewed 31599 times
it can read Blu-ray discs, :)
makemkv1.png
makemkv1.png (43.45 KiB) Viewed 31599 times
and is LIBRE! :mrgreen:
makemkv2.png
makemkv2.png (32.66 KiB) Viewed 31599 times
Sadly UHD blu-ray discs are still off limits ... :?

@ mike admin
Sorry, I haven't got the FW version BN10 since I flashed my drive to BN11 a year ago.
What I can tell you though that it also did NOT allow to read UHD discs and was dated 2017-05-30 (vs 2017-11-20 @BN11).
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@mike admin,

A while ago I had downloaded the Buffalo 1.00 firmware updater (and forgotten about it!). It contains 3 different firmwares. (2 of them you already have in the MK pack (BN11 and BH16NS58_1.01)). The third is BU11. I thought if might be of use to you for your MK firmware pack.

I was hoping for BU10 or BN10 but no luck. Anyway, here it is.

Let me know once you have it (or if you already have it) and I'll remove the attachment.

(Edit: downloaded, Thanks!)

Cheers!
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

Hi. I have a drive with the BU10 firmware still on it. Is there any way I can help out with extracting the firmware or otherwise doing something Mike or other devs will find useful? I'm technically competent but haven't been following all the flashing tools. Just let me know the steps to follow and I can make it happen.

Thanks.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

flashback8 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 pm
Hi. I have a drive with the BU10 firmware still on it. Is there any way I can help out with extracting the firmware or otherwise doing something Mike or other devs will find useful? I'm technically competent but haven't been following all the flashing tools. Just let me know the steps to follow and I can make it happen.

Thanks.
@flashback8, I know that @mike admin is after the discatt.dat made from the drive. He can probably fill you in on exactly what he needs.

Cheers!
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

Cool.

EDIT: Data sent to Mike.