UHD USB drives (or laptop slimline?)

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
YouWho

UHD USB drives (or laptop slimline?)

Post by YouWho »

Hi All-

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere...I tried to search for relevant terms and didn't see anything obvious.

I use MacOS on a MacBook Pro and MacMini. Both those use slimline laptop drives. Are there any MacOS friendly UHD drives that are either:

1) slimline that can retrofit into either of the above cases, or
2) USB3 compatible that I can use as a standalone

Thanks!

yw.
MartyMcNuts

Re: UHD USB drives (or laptop slimline?)

Post by MartyMcNuts »

YouWho wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm
Hi All-

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere...I tried to search for relevant terms and didn't see anything obvious.

I use MacOS on a MacBook Pro and MacMini. Both those use slimline laptop drives. Are there any MacOS friendly UHD drives that are either:

Thanks!

yw.
The BU40N is a 9.5mm slim UHD drive.

A good external option is the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD. The drive inside the Archgon is also a BU40N.

You can find them both on Amazon.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Villodre

Post by Villodre »

I've been tempted to splurge on the Pioneer BDR-XD07J UHD Blu-Ray drive, with an USB Type-C connector which looks as slim as it can get and an absolute beast for reading media on the go. However, I read that Pioneer drives are a poor choice for MakeMKV.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Villodre wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 am
I've been tempted to splurge on the Pioneer BDR-XD07J UHD Blu-Ray drive, with an USB Type-C connector which looks as slim as it can get and an absolute beast for reading media on the go. However, I read that Pioneer drives are a poor choice for MakeMKV.
yes they are a poor choice for now unless your pc meets the powerdvd requirements and you just want to watch them
Last edited by Billycar11 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Villodre wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 am
Currently Pioneer drives are not good if you want to back-up your UHD discs. No ripping software is compatible with them. This is why we always recommend the LG or ASUS drives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

BU40N in Vantec enclosure. You want one of these and should email me to get one. alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

I now return to finishing off the units owed to people who have been waiting patiently.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Villodre

Post by Villodre »

jonghotti wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:29 am
BU40N in Vantec enclosure. You want one of these and should email me to get one. alexcoluzzi32@gmail.com

I now return to finishing off the units owed to people who have been waiting patiently.
Oh, well, I'm in the EU so I hardly think it would worth it, but I did see your units here in the forum and I think they're awesome.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Shipping to the EU is only $24 USD :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
YouWho

Post by YouWho »

Hi again-

Sorry, I was on holidays and just got this reply (thanks to MartyMc). I ordered the Archgon external so I could pass it between my MBP and MB Air as needed. Do I need to deal with firmware upgrade or downgrade on this unit? If so, is there a MACOS option for that or do I need to hijack my wife's Win10 worktop?

thanks again!

yw.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:24 am
YouWho wrote:
Hi All-

Thanks!

yw.

A good external option is the Archgon MD-8107S-U3-UHD. The drive inside the Archgon is also a BU40N.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

YouWho wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:01 am
Hi again-

Sorry, I was on holidays and just got this reply (thanks to MartyMc). I ordered the Archgon external so I could pass it between my MBP and MB Air as needed. Do I need to deal with firmware upgrade or downgrade on this unit? If so, is there a MACOS option for that or do I need to hijack my wife's Win10 worktop?

thanks again!

yw.
it may need a downgrade the Archgon i got had 1.01 and needed to be downgraded if you have a win 10 pc in the house it will be easier then setting up a vm of windows on mac thats the only way on mac for now.
Last edited by Billycar11 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

YouWho wrote:
Hi again-

thanks again!

yw.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
YouWho wrote:
Hi All-

Thanks!

yw.

You will most likely have to downgrade the firmware and yes, the quickest and easiest way is using a windows machine.
YouWho

Post by YouWho »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:15 am
YouWho wrote:
Hi again-

thanks again!

yw.
MartyMcNuts wrote:

You will most likely have to downgrade the firmware and yes, the quickest and easiest way is using a windows machine.
Gotcha. Assuming that the tutorials cover the how-to's in the root post of this forum (?). As a former UNIX hacker, should i assume there is now straight forward command line or otherwise option on MacOS's bastard child *NIX-esque system?