How to rip BD from hardrive version?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thewallace

How to rip BD from hardrive version?

Post by thewallace »

When ripping a BD I ran into the attached error. Could be due to either the disk or my drive. So I decided to copy the entire disc to my hardrive and rip from there. I was able to copy all the BD contents over with no issues.

--My question is how do I covert the HD version to a mkv? Makemkv recognizes the structure from a physical BD, but how do I get it to rip from a BD contents on a hardrive? I can't see a way to select the HD version to begin the process.
Attachments
error.png
error.png (108.08 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
wmcclain

Re: How to rip BD from hardrive version?

Post by wmcclain »

"Open File" and select index.bdmv
Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

For the original error, did you see this message? https://makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18833

If you "just" copied the disk to your drive, you will also need to get the key information from the disk, so MakeMKV can decrypt it. Creating a "non-decrypted backup" will save that information automatically; if you get a "Volume key is unknown" error with opening the disk as wmcclain says, I'll point you to that information.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thewallace

Post by thewallace »

I'm not getting any hash errors despite it not being listed in the current keys_hashed file. Its Dances with Wolves theatrical version from the Steelbox edition...btw.

The error points to a bad disc because it keeps failing at the same spot. But...my BD drive is embarrasingly old. I just ordered a new one that should be here tues. I'll test again then.
thewallace

Post by thewallace »

Well...I just replaced my old Lite-On BD drive with a new LG WH14NS40. It blazed through reading the disc in 1/4 of the time without slowing and made a seamless mkv. Really surprised me.

So in my case at least the error shown at the top of the post was solved by using a new drive. Go figure.