Progress on AACS 2.1?

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
filmgeek47

Progress on AACS 2.1?

Post by filmgeek47 »

I know this is something lots of people are asking about, but I was wondering if there are any updates on getting access to these keys for MakeMKV? Fury is the only 4K disk I can't backup!

Thanks!
MartyMcNuts

Re: Progress on AACS 2.1?

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Tell me about it! (hahaha, No pressure there Mike!!)

I refuse to buy DeUHD to be able to back-up 1 movie!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

He's likely been busy on some "small" feature he added called LibreDrive but that's just a guess. LOL AACS 2.1 support is a lot of work for 2 titles. I'm sure Mike's probably thought about it but when you're just one developer you have to prioritize features that are going to help them most people. At least, that's how I develop. LOL I'm obviously only theorizing as I don't know what Mike is or isn't working on but this is my guess on why it's not done yet.
Deano86

Post by Deano86 »

Exactly!.... It's weird.....I actually have no problem going to the effort of loading and unloading an actual disc and letting it spin to watch 1 title(Fury)... lol! :D
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Sometimes it is a matter of principle. Eventually there will be more than 2 titles that use it.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

And eventually it'd probably move higher on the priority list. :)
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I just wanted to mention i was able to backup both regular bluray not 4k yet,i thought both versions of the movies both 4k and regular Blu-ray shared same 2.1 encryption :?: i was able to access the fury movie and patriot content on hard drive after using makemkv.i repeat 4k disc still not working but Blu-ray 1080 will decrypt
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Blu-ray uses AACS 1.x so that makes sense. UHD is using the more secure AACS 2.x.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

smartieyoung wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:41 pm
I just wanted to mention i was able to backup both regular bluray not 4k yet,i thought both versions of the movies both 4k and regular Blu-ray shared same 2.1 encryption :?: i was able to access the fury movie and patriot content on hard drive after using makemkv.i repeat 4k disc still not working but Blu-ray 1080 will decrypt
As SamuriHL mentioned, yeah... that’s NOT how AACS versioning works. Would be too expensive and could cause playback compatibility problems in too many scenarios to have standard BDs on AACS 2.x. It’s forward thinking. A UHD BD on 1.x yes, that will work. There is at least one out there like this. But NOT the other way around.
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

OK my bad i was confused,i didn't realize that,i'm still learning the difference between aacs 1.x and accs 2.1x, i still find it interesting that just fury and the patriot are so far the only accs 2.1 discs i wonder if the industry is running experiments on us uhd rippers :wink:
Louie

Post by Louie »

yes i agree would like to see this fixed i have THE PATRIOT and FURY with aacs 2.1 that i cant backup and i will not purchase DEUHD just to make backup copies of these 2 discs so would like to see this fixed Mike no pressure
filmgeek47

Post by filmgeek47 »

To be clear, I didn't mean this topic to come off as "why isn't this fixed!" I really appreciate all the hard work Mike's done on this program over the years. Being able to rip this stuff is fantastic, both as a matter of principal and convenience.

For those asking why it's relevant... 4K disk players are still stupidly expensive for those on a budget, and I don't have one. I've got a desktop drive capable of ripping, and a Vero that can playback the files, but I literally don't own a device that can play back a UHD disc on my home theater system.

I'm also no expert (obviously), but I'd imagine that if 2.1 is more difficult to crack, more distributors will start using it, and the number of locked discs will go up.
midnighwatcher

Post by midnighwatcher »

Any progress to share on this one by chance? Also, does the Bluray that's included with the 4K package also include the same Atmos track found on the 4K disc, or is it the same as the Bluray-only release?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

midnighwatcher wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm
Any progress to share on this one by chance? Also, does the Bluray that's included with the 4K package also include the same Atmos track found on the 4K disc, or is it the same as the Bluray-only release?
The Blu Ray disc only has DTS-HDMA 5.1. I think this is very low on Mike's priority list.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
smartieyoung

Post by smartieyoung »

I was thinking that if more people where to buy 4l movies there would more workarounds on internet for these two movies but as far as i can tell right now the only way to get patriot and fury is buy deuhd which i think cost too much.