Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
babypuncher
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by babypuncher » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm

I've seen mentions of firmware version BU10 being compatible with LibreDrive but I can't get my drive on BU11 to read any UHD disks.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:04 pm

babypuncher wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:14 pm
I've seen mentions of firmware version BU10 being compatible with LibreDrive but I can't get my drive on BU11 to read any UHD disks.
Do you have a copy of the BU10 firmware?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

babypuncher
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by babypuncher » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am

No. Near as I can tell, BU10 is the version that originally shipped on this model when it first rolled out of the factory, so a download of it was never available from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find someone who managed to dump BU10 from an older unit.

The updater here can update a drive with BU10 to BU11 and that's about it.

EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am

babypuncher wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am
No. Near as I can tell, BU10 is the version that originally shipped on this model when it first rolled out of the factory, so a download of it was never available from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find someone who managed to dump BU10 from an older unit.

The updater here can update a drive with BU10 to BU11 and that's about it.

EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.
Confusing. The link to the updater you provided says Version 1.00, not BU11. Also, I thought that the BRUHD-PU3 was a rebadged Pioneer drive.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 am

@babypuncher,

You may have to open it up to see what drive it actually is. Also, if you open it up, you can check the connection type. Hopefully it has a SATA connection and not a direct USB connection.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

Billycar11
Posts: 584
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:49 am

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by Billycar11 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:07 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:19 am
babypuncher wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am
No. Near as I can tell, BU10 is the version that originally shipped on this model when it first rolled out of the factory, so a download of it was never available from the manufacturer. I'm hoping to find someone who managed to dump BU10 from an older unit.

The updater here can update a drive with BU10 to BU11 and that's about it.

EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.
Confusing. The link to the updater you provided says Version 1.00, not BU11. Also, I thought that the BRUHD-PU3 was a rebadged Pioneer drive.
I believe it is a rebadged LG bu40n

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:10 am

That could prove helpful if it is a BU40N.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

mike admin
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by mike admin » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:51 pm

babypuncher wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:05 am
The updater here can update a drive with BU10 to BU11 and that's about it.
EDIT: I believe this drive is a rebadge of the LG BU40N or BU50N, so I'm wondering if it might be possible to use LG firmware on it.
Thanks for sharing the link. The updater contains firmware for two re-branded HL-DT-ST drives - BH16NS58 1.01 and BU40N BN11 . The first is already supported with MK firmware. And for BN11 the MK firmware should be available in a day or two.

How do you get the download link? Is there a page with all available firmware updates for Buffalo drives, that a gaijin like me can read?

planet1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Good news indeed !

Post by planet1 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm

Good evening,

here is an older FW updater called:

fwupdateroddpt_102.exe

It has an even greater model support list (still keeping my fingers crossed that some of those might be UHD compatible with MK FW after all :roll: :oops: :mrgreen: ):

BRUHD-PU3-BK, BRXL-PT6U3, BRXL-PT6U3-C, BRXL-PT6U3-D
BRXL-PT6U2V, BRXL-PT6U2V-C, BRXL-PT6U2V-D
DVSM-PTS58U2, DVSM-PTS58U2-C, DVSM-PTS58U2-D
DVSM-PT58U2V, DVSM-PT58U2V-C, DVSM-PT58U2V-D
Extracting the EXE-updater yields a 3.5MB firmware file and a FW update utility called Buffalo_105xFWUpg3100_13040911A00A_V1.exe
We can assume that Bufallo uses SATA to USB controllers from Asmedia (ASM 105x).

My drive is detected as follows:
ASMedia-Bufallo-FW.PNG
ASMedia-Bufallo-FW.PNG (2.75 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
ASMedia-Bufallo-Info.png
ASMedia-Bufallo-Info.png (393.42 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Last but not least here is Bufallo's old FW selection webpage and an overview of their optical drive models.

mike admin
Posts: 3636
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:26 am
Contact:

Re: Good news indeed !

Post by mike admin » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:41 pm

planet1 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:03 pm
here is an older FW updater called:
fwupdateroddpt_102.exe
It has an even greater model support list (still keeping my fingers crossed that some of those might be UHD compatible with MK FW after all :roll: :oops: :mrgreen: ):
Nah, this is upgrader for the firmware enclosure USB chip (the Asmedia one). I did not know they ever released FW upgrade for USB enclosures.

If you do have BN10 drive (you mentioned that you don't have it anymore, but if you do), please send me the discatt.dat made from this drive, before flashing it with MK firmware.

The MK firmware for BN11 is attached. It will be added to the main pack on next update. Please post the result here.
Attachments
HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BU40N-BN11-0M00300-211711201351.zip
MK firmware for Japanese Buffalo BU40 clone, based on BN11
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 152 times

planet1
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Partial success!

Post by planet1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:28 pm

Hello,

happy news - the crossflash has worked with MartyMcNuts' modified flasher tool,
crossflash-FINISH.PNG
crossflash-FINISH.PNG (10.96 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
it can read Blu-ray discs, :)
makemkv1.png
makemkv1.png (43.45 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
and is LIBRE! :mrgreen:
makemkv2.png
makemkv2.png (32.66 KiB) Viewed 4282 times
Sadly UHD blu-ray discs are still off limits ... :?


@ mike admin
Sorry, I haven't got the FW version BN10 since I flashed my drive to BN11 a year ago.
What I can tell you though that it also did NOT allow to read UHD discs and was dated 2017-05-30 (vs 2017-11-20 @BN11).

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:45 am

@mike admin,

A while ago I had downloaded the Buffalo 1.00 firmware updater (and forgotten about it!). It contains 3 different firmwares. (2 of them you already have in the MK pack (BN11 and BH16NS58_1.01)). The third is BU11. I thought if might be of use to you for your MK firmware pack.

I was hoping for BU10 or BN10 but no luck. Anyway, here it is.

Let me know once you have it (or if you already have it) and I'll remove the attachment.

(Edit: downloaded, Thanks!)

Cheers!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

flashback8
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by flashback8 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi. I have a drive with the BU10 firmware still on it. Is there any way I can help out with extracting the firmware or otherwise doing something Mike or other devs will find useful? I'm technically competent but haven't been following all the flashing tools. Just let me know the steps to follow and I can make it happen.

Thanks.

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by MartyMcNuts » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:29 am

flashback8 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:26 pm
Hi. I have a drive with the BU10 firmware still on it. Is there any way I can help out with extracting the firmware or otherwise doing something Mike or other devs will find useful? I'm technically competent but haven't been following all the flashing tools. Just let me know the steps to follow and I can make it happen.

Thanks.
@flashback8, I know that @mike admin is after the discatt.dat made from the drive. He can probably fill you in on exactly what he needs.

Cheers!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD drives in AUS & NZ visit: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=18747

flashback8
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Re: Is there a way to downgrade the firmware on a Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 from BU11 to BU10?

Post by flashback8 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 am

Cool.

EDIT: Data sent to Mike.

Post Reply