Custom firmware discussion

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
GyroDragona

Custom firmware discussion

Post by GyroDragona »

Tried to flash my BC-12B1ST b 1.00.

Successfully bricked the drive.

Can we please just get a list of LibreDrive supported drives now so I can not mess with this stuff? I just want to get a drive that does UHD ripping and works with LibreDrive. Can we even get a short list of suggested UHD drives that work with LibreDrive? Please?
Billycar11

Re: Custom firmware pack with LibreDrive patches

Post by Billycar11 »

GyroDragona wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:49 pm

Can we please just get a list of LibreDrive supported drives now so I can not mess with this stuff? I just want to get a drive that does UHD ripping and works with LibreDrive. Can we even get a short list of suggested UHD drives that work with LibreDrive? Please?
im sorry you bricked your drive but i have the needed things posted right above MT1959 is really the most telling i think
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

GyroDragona wrote:

Well there are literally dozens of post like this one:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1ST#p72200

And many others discussing and describing the requirements and/or what NOT to do based on learning experiences from others. YOU have to do your own due diligence on this. This is an online forum. We CANNOT hold your hand through the process and/or do it for you. The forum search function does work. You have to do your part in all this.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... =BC-12B1ST
GyroDragona

Post by GyroDragona »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:16 am
GyroDragona wrote:

im sorry you bricked your drive but i have the needed things posted right above MT1959 is really the most telling i think
No reason for you to be sorry. I'm the one that messed it up. XD

Thank you though.
GyroDragona

Post by GyroDragona »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:26 am
GyroDragona wrote:

Well there are literally dozens of post like this one:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1ST#p72200

And many others discussing and describing the requirements and/or what NOT to do based on learning experiences from others. YOU have to do your own due diligence on this. This is an online forum. We CANNOT hold your hand through the process and/or do it for you. The forum search function does work. You have to do your part in all this.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/search.ph ... =BC-12B1ST
I'm not saying it's anybody's fault but my own. I'm just looking to move forward. I have been needing to replace the drive anyway. I'm just hoping for a list, even a short one with support for UHD and LibreDrive so I can replace the drive and get back to ripping my movies.

MakeMKV is amazing and Mike is awesome for making all this for us. It's why I had no problems buying a licence about 4 years ago. Frankly, it's a bargain.
Last edited by GyroDragona on Fri May 03, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The two "best" drives IMO are the LG NS60 official drive and the ASUS BW-16D1HT friendly drive. Both of those drives are LibreDrive supported with the right firmware (found in Mike's MK firmware package) and are super simple to flash. They read damn near everything I've thrown at them.
GyroDragona

Post by GyroDragona »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:53 pm
The two "best" drives IMO are the LG NS60 official drive and the ASUS BW-16D1HT friendly drive. Both of those drives are LibreDrive supported with the right firmware (found in Mike's MK firmware package) and are super simple to flash. They read damn near everything I've thrown at them.
Do you know of any UHD drives that don't need the firmware messed with to work with LibreDrive as-is out of the box? I have tried searching about online but have not really had any luck finding such information due to LibreDrive just being so new and not many details being posted just yet.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No, not at this point. Almost any drive you get at this point is going to need a firmware update. If this is not something you're comfortable with johngotti and a few others sell drives that are ready to go.
cbickel

Post by cbickel »

I checked on LG's website and there is only one firmware version for my drive. I even tried flashing the patched MK firmware using the dosflash method but because the drive is on a USB bus the computer couldn't get IDE level access to the drive. I was just wondering if there was another unlocked flasher that was written for this particular drive. I'm not sure what goes into building an unlocked flasher, but I'm not shying away from that as a possibility.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I really wish people would stop trying to use dosflash. There are two patched windows flashers on this forum that do not require sata tricks. They've been documented to death at this point. One is the patched asus flasher and the other is a patched LG flasher. Either will work to flash your drive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

spl147

Post by spl147 »

cbickel wrote:I checked on LG's website and there is only one firmware version for my drive. I even tried flashing the patched MK firmware using the dosflash method but because the drive is on a USB bus the computer couldn't get IDE level access to the drive. I was just wondering if there was another unlocked flasher that was written for this particular drive. I'm not sure what goes into building an unlocked flasher, but I'm not shying away from that as a possibility.
SO? Why are you not using the patched flasher?

A little reading would tell you the dosflash method is now obsolete! Use the patched windows flasher and MK firmware and call it a day!

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

cbickel wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:38 am
I checked on LG's website and there is only one firmware version for my drive. I even tried flashing the patched MK firmware using the dosflash method but because the drive is on a USB bus the computer couldn't get IDE level access to the drive. I was just wondering if there was another unlocked flasher that was written for this particular drive. I'm not sure what goes into building an unlocked flasher, but I'm not shying away from that as a possibility.
What is this particular drives model number that is USB only
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
cbickel

Post by cbickel »

I've tried to use the patched LG flasher to flash the MK firmware to the drive. For some reason the patched LG flasher linked in this forum doesn't work with my drive. Every time I try and use it to flash the firmware it gets stuck at 0% I have an LG BP55NB40. It's an external usb drive. I know the DosFlash method is obsolete, I'm just trying to find a way to flash to firmware to the drive successfully. I think the problem is the unlocked LG flasher on the forum is not compatible with the drive I'm trying to flash. But if anyone has any other thoughts I'd really appreciate it.
jerryfudd81

Post by jerryfudd81 »

Just to throw something in that an external drive will almost always be an internal drive in a caddy... remove it out and pop on the sata bus could be worth a shot (if all else is correct).
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

jerryfudd81 wrote:Just to throw something in that an external drive will almost always be an internal drive in a caddy... remove it out and pop on the sata bus could be worth a shot (if all else is correct).
And this is not one of those times.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829