Alien 40th Anniversary 4K - volume key unknown

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
nathanddrews

Alien 40th Anniversary 4K - volume key unknown

Post by nathanddrews »

FYI, I just got my new 4K disc today and could not back it up with 1.14.3 latest hashed keys.

I have submitted the dump.
SamuriHL

Re: Alien 40th Anniversary 4K - volume key unknown

Post by SamuriHL »

I just submitted mine, as well. Hadn't seen this thread yet before I did it.
Hockeydave

Post by Hockeydave »

Whoops,,, me too. Guess everyone got their disk today from Amazon.

Dave
snafu_

Post by snafu_ »

Ah, came here to do the same.
demon

Post by demon »

Samesies. I think he's probably got it now... :D
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Submitted mine as well.
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

Just for fun, we could all resend our reports again. LOL
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Oh hell please don't. LOL We want to get this supported. Inundating Mike with a bunch of reposted dumps would NOT speed up that process. LMAO :D

I did watch this on my UB820 last night while I wait to get it ripped and I must say, they did a fantastic job on this one.
tsartin

Post by tsartin »

Same here, I sent my dumps first thing last night. Can't wait for this one!
Sonartech

Post by Sonartech »

I think this is just more proof that this process needs to be automated (opt-in to filing reports, obviously), so that the flow of duplicate information can be controlled. It would be quite easy for the software to check to see if it's already been submitted and is therefore a duplicate, and let the user know that it's already being worked on. If it's not submitted and appears new, the TGZ is e-mailed/uploaded automatically and the user is informed that the required information has been submitted for examination. There's no need for all these duplicate reports and unnecessary e-mails; a little automation could fix all of this and make the flow of information much more manageable.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

We could certainly do it ourselves. There's an ID in the dump filename. If people want to post that when saying they submitted a dump others could look and see if the same version was already sent. Or something.
Sonartech

Post by Sonartech »

The sucky bit about the way we do this today is that unless you went looking for this forum, took the time to sign-up and then mined for this "kind" of information, you likely had no idea that we were even having this discussion in the first place. Boat loads of MakeMKV users are just using the tool, and when it fails (for some "unknown" reason), they dismiss it for any number of reasons - perhaps unaware of how the whole process works or what's happening behind the curtain in the land of OZ where the great Wizard cuts the magic keys. These same people are likely unaware of the log files that were made, what they contain, how they're used or where they're located on their machine. Then there's the layer of fat people have to overcome to send the TGZ to someone they don't know through their personal e-mail account. If it was automated, you'd have near 100% collection & return on all failed/new discs that need groping (assuming you opted in to automatic collection) and no duplicates to wade through - and no one would have to wonder where log files are, where this forum is, or have to worry about sending unknown data through a personal e-mail account to some 'sketchy' character named "svq@makemkv.com" :shock: You could even get extra credit by having MakeMKV keep track of what media was attempted to convert (but failed due to a lack of key), and then alert the use when keys are cut that would now be available to decrypt a previously failed title. Finally, it would likely make MakeMKV work faster. If it reads a disks, asks for keys and learns that they're not available but have already been submitted for examination, MakeMKV wouldn't need to waste time gathering a TGZ in the first place since it wouldn't be necessary to generate something that had already been uploaded by someone else - it could just report that "the disc cannot currently be decrypted but necessary data has already been provided and you'll be notified when the disc can be decrypted in the future"... or something like that.

Sorry, this is my curse for being a former product designer. My nickname in the past was Featurecreep. Sorry about that. :mrgreen:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

And if Mike had a team of developers, instead of you know just himself, that'd all be wonderfully feasible. For now I'm just grateful there's a process at all. The fact that it normally takes under 2 days to get new discs supported is fantastic. I suspect Mike needs to sleep and eat once in a while but sometimes he goes into robot mode I think. LOL
demon

Post by demon »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:30 pm
And if Mike had a team of developers, instead of you know just himself, that'd all be wonderfully feasible. For now I'm just grateful there's a process at all. The fact that it normally takes under 2 days to get new discs supported is fantastic. I suspect Mike needs to sleep and eat once in a while but sometimes he goes into robot mode I think. LOL
Exactly. The man's got to have some semblance of a life besides slaving away on MakeMKV for all of us ungrateful bastards. I want to be able to rip the disc, but I'm not gonna harass him over it.
nathanddrews

Post by nathanddrews »

Since I don't really understand the exact process for generating keys from the TGZ files, does Mike only need one submission to get the job done? Is the same exact file with the exact file name generated by every identical disc? Some sort of transactional database would have to be built and hosted somewhere to manage uploads from users and tell the application whether or not it was already submitted could probably be scripted into e-ticket type software.

Free github software:
https://osticket.com/ (free and paid versions)
http://www.opensupports.com/ (totally free)