Video quality when backing up to blu-ray discs is reduced

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Woodstock

Re: Video quality when backing up to blu-ray discs is reduced

Post by Woodstock »

A backup is copying the files from the Bluray to your hard drive, optionally removing the encryption. Unless your playback software deliberately reduces its playback quality when playing MKV files (there have been a few), it should be identical, and always has been for me.

MakeMKV does no conversion of the data, other than removing copy protection.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
BlueMac77

Post by BlueMac77 »

@PaulineSinclair. MakeMKV does not downsample the quality of the blu-ray or 4K UHD movie from my experience. Picture and Audio quality has the exact same quality compared to the disc. I’ve compared a direct playback from the blu-ray disc and a playback from a MKV file. Another way to tell is comparing the file size of the Blu-Ray disc to the file size of the backed up MKV file size and they are identical.
Lstewart2525

Post by Lstewart2525 »

Surely PaulineSinclair is not talking about the MKV files alone. I would guess that she is using some program or another to compress the files down to fit onto a 25 GB Bluray blank disc, which is where the loss of quality is coming from. Her settings on whatever "shrinking" program she is using are likely not where they should be.

So Pauline. Exactly what programs are you using to back up your Blurays?

I use MakeMKV to create decrypted m2ts files. Then I use BD Rebuilder to compress those files to fit onto a 25 GB Bluray blank. And finally I use ImgBurn to burn the compressed files that BD Rebuilder made onto the 25 GB Bluray blank disc.

You?