VLC, makemkv and BD+

Everything related to MakeMKV
legluondunet

VLC, makemkv and BD+

Post by legluondunet »

Hello,

I installed makemkv, use the libmmbd emulation to play my blu ray with VLC, all but the BD+.
VLC can not read BD+ with makemkv.
Is it a know issue?
VLC complained about a java error:

Code: Select all

VLC media player 4.0.0-dev Otto Chriek (revision 4.0.0~rc1~~git20190303+r79643+178~ubuntu19.04.1)
[000055c3d29989c0] main libvlc: Lancement de vlc avec l'interface par défaut. Utilisez « cvlc » pour démarrer VLC sans interface.
dec.c:245: WARNING: using libmmbd for BD+. On-disc menus won't work with all discs.
[00007ff390000e60] libbluray access: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
HDMV Titles: 5, BD-J Titles: 86, Other: 0
bdj.c:861: Detected Java 9 or later JVM - support is experimental !
Exception in thread "main" PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/objectweb/asm/commons/SimpleRemapper

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/org.videolan.BDJClassFileTransformer.rename(BDJClassFileTransformer.java:64)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/org.videolan.mmbd.Adapter.<init>(Adapter.java:78)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:490)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:584)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/org.videolan.Libbluray.loadAdapter(Libbluray.java:98)

PrintStream.java:java.io.PrintStream.println:899: 	at java.base/org.videolan.Libbluray.init(Libbluray.java:345)

bdj.c:733: Failed to initialize BD-J (uncaught exception)
GUIManager:0: ERROR: getInstance(): no instance !
bluray.c:3169: Can't play BD-J title 65535
[00007ff390000e60] libbluray access: Closing overlays.
I can reproduce this issue with all my BD+ played with vlc/makemkv and you?
legluondunet

Re: VLC, makemkv and BD+

Post by legluondunet »

No answer?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV only uses an installed Java interpreter for playlist obfuscation. For BD+, it has its own limited interpreter for dealing with JUST BD+, when it is writing to a backup or MKV files.

The error says that VLC is trying to use Java, so this should be a VLC support issue.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
legluondunet

Post by legluondunet »

Than you for your reply, but can you tell me if you can read BD+ with VLC and makemkv emulation?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That I cannot tell you - I do not operate MakeMKV in that mode. I have it create MKVs of the content immediately, and have VLC play those. Actually, I process them through handbrake and put them on the media server, because I don't want to waste the space, or have to go digging through disks to find what I want to play; it's all online.

I have no interest in the menus or most other features - I bought the disk for the movie or series, not for conversations with people on what THEY think of the show.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging