Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 am

A question for this MP4 muxing.

I've just ripped Star Wars Last Jedi 4k bluray disc, and to play from beginning to the end, it plays two m2ts files.

The first 3~5 minutes:
00007.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00007.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00007.track_4352.ac3

The rest of the movie:
00018.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00018.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00018.track_4352.ac3

Can anyone tell me how to package them into a single MP4? (Is it even possible?)

MartyMcNuts
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MartyMcNuts » Tue May 28, 2019 4:19 am

tango306 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 am
A question for this MP4 muxing.

I've just ripped Star Wars Last Jedi 4k bluray disc, and to play from beginning to the end, it plays two m2ts files.

The first 3~5 minutes:
00007.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00007.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00007.track_4352.ac3

The rest of the movie:
00018.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00018.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00018.track_4352.ac3

Can anyone tell me how to package them into a single MP4? (Is it even possible?)
I think CloneBD can now rip to DV mp4.

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:51 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 4:19 am
tango306 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:17 am
A question for this MP4 muxing.

I've just ripped Star Wars Last Jedi 4k bluray disc, and to play from beginning to the end, it plays two m2ts files.

The first 3~5 minutes:
00007.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00007.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00007.track_4352.ac3

The rest of the movie:
00018.track_4113.hevc (base layer)
00018.track_4117.hevc (enhancement layer)
00018.track_4352.ac3

Can anyone tell me how to package them into a single MP4? (Is it even possible?)
I think CloneBD can now rip to DV mp4.
Just tried the CloneBD 1.2.5.0 for Star Wars: The Last Jedi rip.
It worked wonderfully. Thank you!

Grencola
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue May 28, 2019 1:15 pm

tango306 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 am
sm0ke83 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:16 am
Hi tango306,

Read your discussion with Grencola...
I'm having trouble creating good mp4 from mkv. Been reading on this forum for that and it's hard ignore the discussion :P
...I was wondering why u think original UHD Dolby Vision Blu-ray discs are 12-bit? Or did I misunderstood?
A few months ago (when DV profiles was being discussed) I found this pdf from Dolby Laboratories, maybe u find this interesting:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologie ... levels.pdf

Nowhere in this file is 12-bit mentioned... Look at table 1 at page 9, only 10-bit HEVC is being used in DV profiles.
Hi sm0ke83,
You are not missing anything. In fact, you're right. I've been searching and digging for the last couple of days. Thanks for the link.

A few facts I've found and learned.

1. 4K UHD Blurays use H.265 HEVC Main 10 profile. H.265 HEVC Main 10 supports up to 10-bit. (No 12-bit support)

2. On 4K UHD Bluray disc supporting Dolby Vision, both base layer and DV enhancement layer are encoded in H.265 HEVC Main 10. This basically means they all are 10-bit.

3. Dolby Vision Profile 7 (dual layer) is used in 4K UHD Bluray and Dolby Vision Profile 5 (single layer) is used for iTunes and Netflix 4K streaming.

4. Dolby Vision may supports up to 12-bit color depth and 10,000 nits of peak luminance. However, this "up to" specifications are to future proof their tech. Currently, all DV supported media in consumer market are in 10-bit color depth.
Dolby Labs own DV demo files are encoded in H.265 HEVC Main 10 and are in fact in 10-bit color depth.

5. What Oppo-203 player is doing when 4K UHD Dolby Vision disc is played is padding 10-bit into 12-bit container. I guess this mislead-ed many people (including myself). And lots of 4K Bluray title review sites stating Dolby Vision Bluray titles having 12-bit color are flat out misinformed.

Edit: typo.
thanks for the research / information, this is good to know and will surely calm a lot of peoples' tits! :lol: I'm glad my eyes weren't missing something; I was starting to question them heh :)

sm0ke83
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sm0ke83 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm

Ola!

Just managed to create my first working DV mp4 from mkv source (no stutter) :-)
Thank you guys for helping out! (Grencola and fib1985 especially...)
Used tsMuxeR to decode the base layer and DV enhancement layer (individually, error in tsMuxeR otherwise; something about 2 tracks possibly not sync). Used eac3to to demux/convert DTS-HD audio track to ac3 and finally used mp4muxer to mux these files.

@tango306: Glad I was able to provide with good info and help clarify things. Didn't look that deep into the matter, did know your fist 3 facts, not the last 2.
Do have a question for you: I read u used CloneBD to merge 2 m2ts files together and convert to mp4... Was CloneBD the only tool u used for the process? Because I just installed it (not use it to test) and it only seems to use ffmpeg, not mp4muxer. If so, is CloneBD able to mux HD-audio in the DV mp4-file? That would be a big plus and something to look into...

@Grencola: For me you don't need to use your time to adjust your script to use tsMuxeR and eac3to... I'll manage, maybe even copy some of your code in a batch file. Do find it strange though, there are only a few people addressing this issue. Or maybe the majority tries something and when having problems don't take the time to give feedback or give up, don't know...

Cheers everybody!

Grencola
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 pm

sm0ke83 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm
Ola!

Just managed to create my first working DV mp4 from mkv source (no stutter) :-)
Thank you guys for helping out! (Grencola and fib1985 especially...)
Used tsMuxeR to decode the base layer and DV enhancement layer (individually, error in tsMuxeR otherwise; something about 2 tracks possibly not sync). Used eac3to to demux/convert DTS-HD audio track to ac3 and finally used mp4muxer to mux these files.

@tango306: Glad I was able to provide with good info and help clarify things. Didn't look that deep into the matter, did know your fist 3 facts, not the last 2.
Do have a question for you: I read u used CloneBD to merge 2 m2ts files together and convert to mp4... Was CloneBD the only tool u used for the process? Because I just installed it (not use it to test) and it only seems to use ffmpeg, not mp4muxer. If so, is CloneBD able to mux HD-audio in the DV mp4-file? That would be a big plus and something to look into...

@Grencola: For me you don't need to use your time to adjust your script to use tsMuxeR and eac3to... I'll manage, maybe even copy some of your code in a batch file. Do find it strange though, there are only a few people addressing this issue. Or maybe the majority tries something and when having problems don't take the time to give feedback or give up, don't know...

Cheers everybody!
Yay I'm glad we got it all figured out. Now since you're doing every step individually you might as well use Xmedia Recode to make your audio 1536kbps dd+ e-ac3 instead of 640kbps dd ac3 :) demux the lossless audio track with tsmuxer then encode it to eac3 with Xmedia. the full steps are outlined earlier on in this thread.

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:52 am

sm0ke83 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm
@tango306: Glad I was able to provide with good info and help clarify things. Didn't look that deep into the matter, did know your fist 3 facts, not the last 2.
Do have a question for you: I read u used CloneBD to merge 2 m2ts files together and convert to mp4... Was CloneBD the only tool u used for the process? Because I just installed it (not use it to test) and it only seems to use ffmpeg, not mp4muxer. If so, is CloneBD able to mux HD-audio in the DV mp4-file? That would be a big plus and something to look into...
Yes, CloneBD is the only tool I used. It did everything.

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 am

sm0ke83 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:37 pm
Donpablo80 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 am
Is it possible to encode a Dolby Vision mp4 mux to a smaller file size? When i try to do with handbrake i lose the Dolby Vision layer.

And btw thanks for this great program! I'm using it a lot and works great!
Technically I don’t think so at the moment. DV is only possible with original Blu-ray and appropriate player or muxed mp4 for now. So no compression. The DV enhancement layer is at a 1080p resolution if i’m not mistaken, maybe converting main/base layer to 1080p and mux to mp4 will work. Doubt it though, even when muxing works, player would still have to agree with it.
Don’t know why you want that though? DV is an improvement over HDR and therefore best we have today. Most x256 mkv rips have lower bitrate than source, while both use HEVC. When going for best quality available, I wouldn’t want to downgrade on bitrate...
Not familiar with handbrake anyway
I have not tried nor looked into it. But quick googling came up with this. http://x265.org/x265-delivers-dolby-vision-streams/
I think it can be done now.

sm0ke83
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sm0ke83 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:39 am

Grencola wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 pm
sm0ke83 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:08 pm
Ola!

Just managed to create my first working DV mp4 from mkv source (no stutter) :-)
Thank you guys for helping out! (Grencola and fib1985 especially...)
Used tsMuxeR to decode the base layer and DV enhancement layer (individually, error in tsMuxeR otherwise; something about 2 tracks possibly not sync). Used eac3to to demux/convert DTS-HD audio track to ac3 and finally used mp4muxer to mux these files.

@tango306: Glad I was able to provide with good info and help clarify things. Didn't look that deep into the matter, did know your fist 3 facts, not the last 2.
Do have a question for you: I read u used CloneBD to merge 2 m2ts files together and convert to mp4... Was CloneBD the only tool u used for the process? Because I just installed it (not use it to test) and it only seems to use ffmpeg, not mp4muxer. If so, is CloneBD able to mux HD-audio in the DV mp4-file? That would be a big plus and something to look into...

@Grencola: For me you don't need to use your time to adjust your script to use tsMuxeR and eac3to... I'll manage, maybe even copy some of your code in a batch file. Do find it strange though, there are only a few people addressing this issue. Or maybe the majority tries something and when having problems don't take the time to give feedback or give up, don't know...

Cheers everybody!
Yay I'm glad we got it all figured out. Now since you're doing every step individually you might as well use Xmedia Recode to make your audio 1536kbps dd+ e-ac3 instead of 640kbps dd ac3 :) demux the lossless audio track with tsmuxer then encode it to eac3 with Xmedia. the full steps are outlined earlier on in this thread.
Actually the 640kbps dd is best for me. My receiver doesn’t support 4K and also no Dolby Atmos. LG tv does, but I prefer audio from receiver so use optical which only supports up to dd/dts. :P

Going to try with CloneBD though, just curious if it supports lossless audio. Maybe upgrade receiver in a few months :-)

sm0ke83
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sm0ke83 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:49 am

tango306 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:51 am
sm0ke83 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:37 pm
Donpablo80 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 7:04 am
Is it possible to encode a Dolby Vision mp4 mux to a smaller file size? When i try to do with handbrake i lose the Dolby Vision layer.

And btw thanks for this great program! I'm using it a lot and works great!
Technically I don’t think so at the moment. DV is only possible with original Blu-ray and appropriate player or muxed mp4 for now. So no compression. The DV enhancement layer is at a 1080p resolution if i’m not mistaken, maybe converting main/base layer to 1080p and mux to mp4 will work. Doubt it though, even when muxing works, player would still have to agree with it.
Don’t know why you want that though? DV is an improvement over HDR and therefore best we have today. Most x256 mkv rips have lower bitrate than source, while both use HEVC. When going for best quality available, I wouldn’t want to downgrade on bitrate...
Not familiar with handbrake anyway
I have not tried nor looked into it. But quick googling came up with this. http://x265.org/x265-delivers-dolby-vision-streams/
I think it can be done now.
Looks like it... think it was confirmed here. I recall someone using base layer from compressed file and enhancement layer from full rip or mux. CloneBD has similar option, convert to bd-25 or smaller.
Not something i’m looking for anyway

Donpablo80
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Donpablo80 » Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm

CloneBD works well with Dolby vision, it even can compress to a smaller file size, but it creates a Dolby digital track with audio description for people who are blind. So a man is telling what is happening on screen. I can not choose a different audio track. This happens with te uhd bluray of Cold Pursuit.

sm0ke83
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sm0ke83 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 pm

Donpablo80 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm
CloneBD works well with Dolby vision, it even can compress to a smaller file size, but it creates a Dolby digital track with audio description for people who are blind. So a man is telling what is happening on screen. I can not choose a different audio track. This happens with te uhd bluray of Cold Pursuit.
That can’t be serious, right!? That would be a big f*ck up from CloneBD if that’s true. Think I would send them a mail so it can be fixed...
Or you could use eac3to and mp4muxer

Donpablo80
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Donpablo80 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:42 pm

sm0ke83 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:48 pm
Donpablo80 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm
CloneBD works well with Dolby vision, it even can compress to a smaller file size, but it creates a Dolby digital track with audio description for people who are blind. So a man is telling what is happening on screen. I can not choose a different audio track. This happens with te uhd bluray of Cold Pursuit.
That can’t be serious, right!? That would be a big f*ck up from CloneBD if that’s true. Think I would send them a mail so it can be fixed...
Or you could use eac3to and mp4muxer
I did a second mux and now its working great! Think the first time i messed up.

tango306
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 am

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tango306 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:14 pm

Donpablo80 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm
CloneBD works well with Dolby vision, it even can compress to a smaller file size, but it creates a Dolby digital track with audio description for people who are blind. So a man is telling what is happening on screen. I can not choose a different audio track. This happens with te uhd bluray of Cold Pursuit.
You need *uncheck* those soundtracks and make sure the only main soundtrack it checked.

Grencola
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Grencola » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Donpablo80 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 pm
CloneBD works well with Dolby vision, it even can compress to a smaller file size, but it creates a Dolby digital track with audio description for people who are blind. So a man is telling what is happening on screen. I can not choose a different audio track. This happens with te uhd bluray of Cold Pursuit.
So do you just select the bdmv folder on your hdd in clonebd, choose mp4 with no compression, and then get a dolby vision mp4 like what mp4muxer makes? can I see the mediainfo of the finished file?
Last edited by Grencola on Thu May 30, 2019 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply