Volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Gojira74

Volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted

Post by Gojira74 »

There are other threads with this topic, but I couldn't find any usable information. I recently received my blu ray copy of Godzilla Star Eater from Japan, it gave me this error, now I get that same error no matter what disc I use. Is this a fixable issue or am I stuck? It happens on all computers and with all drives I put that disc into.
Woodstock

Re: Volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted

Post by Woodstock »

You may have an AACS version that revokes the MakeMKV key. Assuming you're running v1.14.3 of MakeMKV (current newest) that would be AACS newer than version 68. There should have been a message in the log window about it, with the path to a file to be sent in to deal with the lock-out.

Look in your MakeMKV data directory for a file with a name that starts with MKBv that has 69 or higher after the "v". If you find one, that needs to be sent to svq@makemkv.com so that MakeMKV can be updated.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Gojira74

Post by Gojira74 »

Thanks, I'll do that! There was a link at the top of the error messages that I clicked to send some info. The disc is brand new and from Japan, so it's possible that it's a new AACS. I'll wait to see if there is a patch for it.
Southrop

Post by Southrop »

I got a v70 Blu-ray myself today and ran into this error. Sent my tgz in to the email above; hope we can see an update soon :)