So does LibreDrive require recent bd drives?

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
DavidPT

So does LibreDrive require recent bd drives?

Post by DavidPT »

I have an older lite-on blu-ray drive that works fine with MakeMKV so I am not gong to break it unnecessarily. MakeMKV doesn't show a libredrive information section in the right panel and I wonder if that mean libredrive is disabled in my copy or my drive is too old to support libredrive at all.
Drive Information
Manufacturer: ATAPI
Product: iHBS112 2
Revision: PL06

I'm pretty sure my drive won't support UHD. Is that required for libredrive?
aan3kk

Re: So does LibreDrive require recent bd drives?

Post by aan3kk »

With my "non-UHD" drive I learned that if MakeMKV is not showing any LibreDrive information the drive is not supported. I bought a new drive that is supported and at the very first start of MakeMKV it directly showed LibreDrive status.
flashback8

Re: So does LibreDrive require recent bd drives?

Post by flashback8 »

I'm guessing that LibreDrive leans on certain chips being in the drives. If the chipset is supported, that's the key. The chipset in the various LG/Asus UHD drives got first dibs since there was the most demand on that end. Beyond that, I'd assume more will be added over time, assuming support is easy enough to add.

FWIW, I do have a couple of 10-year-old LG drives that I occasionally use when attempting to rip finicky CDs/DVDs/Blus. LibreDrive doesn't support those drives. I don't mind. I'm just pointing it out.