LibreDrive on a UH12NS40

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
avenger09123

LibreDrive on a UH12NS40

Post by avenger09123 »

Hello all, this is just to confirm that the current firmware will install correctly on an LG UH12NS40, however you will get a fail error at the end of the flashing. Libredrive will function and I currently get between 2 and 4x of the read speed I used to. I just ripped two 32GB files in just about 40 minutes, whereas 1x 32GB file used to be 45 minutes by itself.

For those that search and find this thread - you need to find the flasher mentioned or download the zip file attached here. It contains both the flasher required AND the firmware 1.01 file from these guys here, however, you may need to watch the mentioned youtube video in order to understand how it functions and how to do it correctly.
Attachments
BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.zip
(2.78 MiB) Downloaded 1245 times
jonghotti

Re: LibreDrive on a UH12NS40

Post by jonghotti »

You can put almost anything you want on those, it's odd. Also notice how your service code is NS40 not the required NS50. These drives can be cross flashed to use the ASUS firmware and damn near hit 8x rip speed. Good drives, and the last once I bought were $40 each.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
avenger09123

Post by avenger09123 »

+1 - It also reads 4k's - last night I ripped the UHD version of SpiderMan : Into the Spiderverse and while it was huge (47 GB).

I'm surprised it's such a good drive.

I just wanted a thread so that others that have the same drive can search for the software to do it and not have to watch the video, find the post, learn to read a foreign language, download the required Libredrive stuff AND risk a random link on a page in a foreign language to get the flashing software.

Glad it's worked out for you though, I'm pretty happy with it at least at this stage!
Exercate

Post by Exercate »

I was having problems with Downton Abbey, so I ran this Patch. Much cleaner now - thanks very much!!!
xollob

Post by xollob »

Thank you!

Worked perfectly on my LG UN12NS40. No errors, and got 10.5X >40M/s read speeds on my first BD.
I had upgraded to the 1.01 Firmware from LG first - https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/l ... 40.AVAA10B

Then ran your BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.zip patch [https://www.makemkv.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2017]

Drive Information
OS device name: E:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS40
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: SIK9LGxxxxxx
Firmware date: 2117-11-23 15:50
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 25

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled

Cheers!!
Reedman

Post by Reedman »

Thank you very much for posting this. I downloaded your ZIP, ran the patch with the BIN file, got the error, and it seems like that did the job.

Am I correct, there is no 2nd downgrade step with this drive? As seen in the video. It seems like all is working as shown, but I have not received the gains others have reported. I was at 5x speeds before and it's maybe a little faster than that now. But no where near the 10x others are reporting. These are for BD rips, not 4k.

Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BDDVDRW UH12NS40
Revision: 1.01
Serial number: K9NI26XXXXX
Firmware date: 2117-11-23 15:50
Bus encryption flags: 16
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Patched (microcode access re-enabled)
Firmware version: 1.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled