NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
d00zah

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by d00zah »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:58 pm
Ferengi, of course. :)
Phew! Never really got the other model... :?
SamuriHL

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by SamuriHL »

LOL

The 1.02 firmware for the NS60 isn't posted on the LG site yet so I would say the only option at this point is the work around I outlined above. Flash MK 3.10 BW-16D1HT first, then flash DE 1.00 NS60. That should solve the issue.
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Billycar11 wrote:3.10 definitely does not fix the sleep bug I have verified this myself
What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Infinite66 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:44 am
Hello everyone. Completely new here. I recently purchased an LG WH16NS60 with firmware 1.02 loaded. It's an official UHD capable drive and regardless of the flasher used (The modified Asus one, and the LG official one) and regardless of what firmware I attempt to load, I always get the same error. "Write DRAM NG". I'm assuming this is because my current firmware is not downgrade enabled. That said, how would I go about flashing an older firmware so I can rip UHD? I appreciate any help.
Please do let us know if flashing asus 3.10MK works for you i have not gotten a WH16NS60 with 1.02 yet mine still have 1.01 and build dates of 3/22/19, then i will update my newer oem firmware section. i'll even do a free remote flash if you want because i would be learning.

Thanks,
Billy
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

Hi everyone,
I am new here and new to ripping of UHD Bluray discs
Just bought the Asus BW-16D1HT and it was manufactured Jan 2019 so I assumed it came with the latest "unfriendly" firmware of 3.03

I am ordered the Vantec from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3 ... B01MRUN0HQ

which with then be connected to my i7 NUC

"Here are some links to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/axxwfwr6 ... s.zip/file
https://dailyuploads.net/9mon7ptz5o6i

Here is just the modified ASUS Flasher if you already have the 'DE' enable firmwares. Just put it in the folder with the firmwares.

ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 2035 times............."

Reading from the 1st post, I am unsure what I should do to downgrade the fw.
Should I download and the run the 1st exe from mediafile/dailyuploads OR just download the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).zip and run the exe from there?
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

BluRay444 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:56 am

UHD disc loaded and ripped to ISO normally.
ISO rips from both drives generated same MD5

What software do you use to rip to ISO?
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

The_Dude wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm
Hi everyone,
I am new here and new to ripping of UHD Bluray discs
Just bought the Asus BW-16D1HT and it was manufactured Jan 2019 so I assumed it came with the latest "unfriendly" firmware of 3.03

I am ordered the Vantec from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-536S3 ... B01MRUN0HQ

which with then be connected to my i7 NUC

"Here are some links to the modified ASUS FW Flasher + Downgrade Enabled Firmware:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/axxwfwr6 ... s.zip/file
https://dailyuploads.net/9mon7ptz5o6i

Here is just the modified ASUS Flasher if you already have the 'DE' enable firmwares. Just put it in the folder with the firmwares.

ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 2035 times............."

Reading from the 1st post, I am unsure what I should do to downgrade the fw.
Should I download and the run the 1st exe from mediafile/dailyuploads OR just download the ASUS_ODD_FW_Changer_(Modified).zip and run the exe from there?
Simple:
Have you already downloaded the folder of firmwares? If so, just download the modified flasher. If you have not already downloaded the folder of firmwares, then download the flasher + firmwares.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

Quick question
Apart from ripping to mkv, can these drives with the friendly fw be used to rip uhd disc to iso?

I would like to have 1:1 rips of my discs to stored on my NAS
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Not with MakeMKV. But yes, it's entirely possible from a friendly drive perspective.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

The_Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 am
Quick question
Apart from ripping to mkv, can these drives with the friendly fw be used to rip uhd disc to iso?

You could use other software that can rip directly to iso or you could just rip to folder using MakeMKV then use ImgBurn to create an iso from the folder.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 pm
The_Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 am
Quick question

You could use other software that can rip directly to iso or you could just rip to folder using MakeMKV then use ImgBurn to create an iso from the folder.

Yes, I plan to use AnyDVD-HD to do 1:1 rips to ISO
Worst case, use makemkv to rip to mkv and then imgburn to ISO....though it's no longer a 1:1
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

The_Dude wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:32 pm
Worst case, use makemkv to rip to mkv and then imgburn to ISO....though it's no longer a 1:1
As Marty mentioned, use MakeMKV to rip to FOLDER, then create ISO w/ ImgBurn. Still 1:1.
The_Dude

Post by The_Dude »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm
The_Dude wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:32 pm
As Marty mentioned, use MakeMKV to rip to FOLDER, then create ISO w/ ImgBurn. Still 1:1.
Ah yes....I missed that. Thanks for making me re-read Marty's earlier post
just4kicks

Post by just4kicks »

Hello,

Noob (to this concept), and band-wagon jumper to do something about my 4K discs not being usable on my computer/media server. I was reading a forum post on AnyDVD about friendly drives (huh? WTH is friendly? And, while I'm at it, WTH is not friendly). I started at this post here:
https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/anydvd- ... tus.74435/ -- this fired me up into taking action.

For those of you, like me, who think you can read parts of info and instantly become an expert... :( WRONG! I failed and flailed around a lot and lucky I didn't end up with some serious problems and a broken drive for my arrogance. So, on that AnyDVD thread, I saw a post about ordering LG or ASUS 'friendly' drives, and to hurry up and order one. So I thought, "Oh Crap - before the 'friendly' ones are gone, I better go get one" and ordered an ASUS BW-16D1HT from Amazon (July 2019, with Prime, it arrived in 24 hours). Popped open the box. Found the manufacture date of May, 2019. :( Probably too new, and not good for me. So, I saw some posts about downgrading the Firmware.
[NOTE: I am posting it here for your reference, BUT I DON'T RECOMMEND you go to this dvd-cloner link!!!] https://www.dvd-cloner.com/knowledge/ho ... e_378.html!!! I started perusing the info on that dvd-cloner link... It had a link to a Windows 7 PE download that you could use to run some firmware tools to downgrade your drive. I thought, "okay, hey, I'm an IT guy, I have spare machines back all the way to a Pentium II, Pentium 4, Core 2 duos/quads, 1st gen I7s, 4th gen i7s, and could load DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 OS options - I should be able to come up with something here, right?" MAYBE... Well that link to the Windows 7 PE on that DVD-cloner site took me to a site that my Antivirus/Firewall started alerting me I was being attacked. Still, I was hell bent on getting this done, so trusting in my Antivirus to protect me, I proceeded, but no matter what I did, to get to the point to get the software, I'd have to install some other software (one was a PDF merger and another a twitter utility that really did not seem reputable or safe and I decided not to proceed further). Yeah, Antivirus is alerting me and so I think this software is SAFE to install? NOT! I am not going any further with that link. Specifically, the error said: "Malicious Site: Malicious Domain Request 22" and it was related to an attack/signature against Chrome.

So, I did a search, and ended up here next. THANK GOD for you all here and for doing what you do and taking the time you do take for such things - things that despite my background, I have no clue how to properly updated hex values and modify firmware without bricking my hardware and/or without breaking anything (last time I tried that, was to try and break the floppy disk requirement of the video game Thexder - yes, I'm that old!). While reading this post (at least I think it was this one), I saw someone say something about putting their drive in an external USB enclosure and patching the drive that way. I really didn't want to bring back to life an old machine to run that other site's solution, but I do have a system on standby that is old and new enough to have IDE option needed for that other solutions. I put that on hold for the time being, and though, "hmmm. I can afford to brick the drive and try again once or twice before my financier and CFO (wife) starts to ask questions and shake her head at me". So, using my slightly old, but capable Vantec USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA plug, I added the ASUS drive to my current 8th Gen i7 and Windows 10 machine in a USB 3.0 port. Drive came up. AnyDVD reported the drive firmware as 3.03. RAD, it's not the latest firmware, 3.10 on the ASUS site, I thought I was saved. WRONG. 3.03 wasn't working. So, I downloaded the links on this page for the ASUS Flasher and the updated firmwares.

I ran the utility, picked the 3.02 firmware version, and clicked START. I was worried that having two virtual clone DVD drives, and a physical SATA Bluray reader/burner drive might cause problems. Suddenly, the drive tray popped open. Well, in very NOOB fashion, not having read ALL the instructions before doing anything - you know the smart way you should do things - I decided that closing the tray was the prudent choice. I then read that it opens when the firmware update starts and closes when it's done. OOPS. About 10 mins later, the firmware patcher (the one from this site) popped some memory error related to the patch failing. I exited the program, and it would not start again. I saw in task manager it was still running. Tried to kill the exe file and a few other options - nothing would kill it. I rebooted.

Next, tried again - ran the executable, picked the ASUS 3.02 firmware and clicked START... Waiting... Waiting... 60 minutes later, no change, no status update, nothing. I finally exited the patcher again. THIS time, I exited the always on AnyDVD client (you know, the icon in the bottom right, right click, and selected Exit). I then loaded up the patcher one more time, even let it run as administrator (just in case) and if this failed this time, I was going to try it on an old machine setup. Again, selected the 3.02 DE ASUS Firmware, and with fingers crossed, I clicked START. This time, unlike all attempts before, I saw a blue status bar move across the ASUS patcher pop up/executable. I'd not seen that before. In about 60 seconds, via my USB connected drive, it patched, and now reported FW version 3.02 in the Patcher pop up (and, as it would later in AnyDVD). I unplugged the USB from the computer, unplugged power so I could reboot the drive (just to be sure) and rebooted the computer. Came back up, AnyDVD auto restarted (as it always does) and everything looks perfect! I am now starting my first RIP... And it completed successfully. Now to find a machine I can play it on with a 4K TV (I have such a device, but have to go to work in the morning, so despite my OCD nature, I can put this off until later today I guess).

Thank you again, very much, for all your hard work on this. By posting the above, I'm hoping to help anyone else that experiences some of the same issues or had some of the same doubts.

[updated]: first rip was a success