Error when muxing 2 disc's to single file

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
techquest

Error when muxing 2 disc's to single file

Post by techquest »

Hi All

I'm new to the site and to using MKVToolNix. Trying to use it to mux 2 discs, same format, into a single movie I came across the following issue:

Can anyone tell me why I would get this, I understand it might be to do with Audio Codecs, but can't figure out why.

Also is there a definitive guide anywhere to using MKVToolNix as I'm not sure how you use the merge facility etc.

Thanks
Grauhaar

Re: Error when muxing 2 disc's to single file

Post by Grauhaar »

No Image !

For a merge, all streams must be identical, used codecs and formats and number of streams and sequence.
Good Luck :)

Post by techquest »

Thanks @Grauhaar the discs are from a 2 disc set and so the format, codecs etc are all the same.

I put Disc 1 into source and then added Disc 2.

The message I'm getting is MPC -HC could not render some of the pins, which I thought had something to do with codecs. I did put a link to the image but that doesn't seem to be working.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Did you 'Append' the 2nd file?

The music is annoying, but if you mute...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFuoFBPP_ew
techquest

Post by techquest »

Thanks @d00zah, that might just be the problem as I didn't realise you had to append the 2nd file, I just dragged or added it.
Will certainly give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I got on.
techquest

Post by techquest »

Thanks once again @d00zaH, the append worked and I have managed to merge two discs into a single file.

Now going to try deleting the credits etc at the end of the movie. My guess is that there are markers or the likes that contain them or otherwise perhaps cutting them out of the time frame somehow. It's certainly interesting whatever.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

techquest wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:01 pm
Thanks once again @d00zaH, the append worked and I have managed to merge two discs into a single file.

Now going to try deleting the credits etc at the end of the movie. My guess is that there are markers or the likes that contain them or otherwise perhaps cutting them out of the time frame somehow. It's certainly interesting whatever.
Center-left on the 'Output' tab...'Splitting'. You can specify before/after a certain chapter marker, timestamp, etc..
techquest

Post by techquest »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:18 pm

Center-left on the 'Output' tab...'Splitting'. You can specify before/after a certain chapter marker, timestamp, etc..
You are indeed a mind full of information and your help is much appreciated. I will take a look at that next and let you know how I get on.
techquest

Post by techquest »

Thanks @d00zah, worked out fine on the merge having used the Append facility.

Will be looking at how you do the split etc as it's interesting to find out all that can be done with MKVToolNix.

It seems quite complex when looking at stuff like VTS_01 .BUP .IFO & .VOB files/tracks then the 02's 03's and 04's etc that go to make a movie. I think I know what they are all for individually now but still not sure why 02's, 03's & 04's are there, other than maybe should one fail a player then seeks the next good one in the sequence. Have been looking at using these as far as MKVToolNix goes, which seems to duplicate, even triplicate the movie if used to make a single .mkv file out of them.

Hope this all makes sense.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

techquest wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 pm
VTS_01 .BUP .IFO
The IFO file describes the DVD structure and content, the BUP is the backup file.
now but still not sure why 02's, 03's & 04's are there, other than maybe should one fail a player then seeks the next good one in the sequence. Have been looking at using these as far as MKVToolNix goes, which seems to duplicate, even triplicate the movie if used to make a single .mkv file out of them.
This are not backup files! Each VOB file has a max size of 1 GB (limitation), so if a movie has f.e. 5,5 GB you have VOB files ending with 0,1,2,3,4,5 (this all together is called a VTS)
Last edited by Grauhaar on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck :)

Post by techquest »

Thanks for the explanation @Grauhaar it is much appreciated and adds to my understanding.