Glitching after ripping blu ray

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
incutonez

Glitching after ripping blu ray

Post by incutonez »

I've been using this software for a little while now, and I've never had this issue, so I figured I'd post here. I tried ripping Independence Day on blu ray, and I'm getting random flashes of different patterns like the image attached. The glitched images flash for a minimal amount of time, and then the movie continues to play just fine... after a few more minutes, another flash... rinse and repeat.

I've tried playing the blu ray in a blu ray player, and I do not see the flashing. I've also tried ripping Independence Day Resurgence (they both were bundled together), and it plays just fine, so I can only assume it's the software with this particular blu ray. I just tried updating my blu ray drive's firmware, but that didn't seem to fix the issue. I have selected "Always created BD+ dumps," but I haven't been able to find any sort of log, unless this means just logging to the application's console as it's ripping.

If there's any sort of log file or output that I can upload to help y'all, that'd be great, and if anyone has anything they'd like me to try, I'd appreciate that as well.
Attachments
glitching.png
glitching.png (622.29 KiB) Viewed 6649 times
Grauhaar

Re: Glitching after ripping blu ray

Post by Grauhaar »

Looks like an video decoding problem.

Can you tell us something about the viewing software/hardware and if media servers like plex etc. are involved.
Good Luck :)

Post by incutonez »

Absolutely. I was opening the mkv file, without converting from Handbrake, in both Windows Media Player and one of the other generic video apps on Windows 10 64bit. I did the same with the other mkv file for Independence Day Resurgence, and I didn't have the issue.
incutonez

Post by incutonez »

Interesting, I think you're spot on here... I tried opening the file in VLC, and it didn't have the glitching. I'm going to try converting it with Handbrake, and getting it on Plex... I'll have a follow-up post with those results.
incutonez

Post by incutonez »

Yeah, all seems well after converting and putting on Plex. Silly mistake on my part. Thanks for the help!