Read Speeds are slow on new drive?

Everything related to MakeMKV
TheCrippledModder

Read Speeds are slow on new drive?

Post by TheCrippledModder »

I have just gotten a new optical drive (BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.03) and have noticed that my read speeds are a lot slower than on my old drive (DVD +R-DL TSSTcorp CDDvDW TS-H653Z 4303) when ripping regular DVDs.

For the same disk:
BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.03: 5.0X (average) - time: 11:48 min
DVD +R-DL TSSTcorp CDDvDW TS-H653Z 4303: 9.2X (average) - time: 06:38 min

More info: When ripping, after a few seconds my old drive starts to turn really fast and it becomes pretty loud and we can see the read rate increase drastically. However, my newest drive doesn't do that and seams to be stuck at a specific read rate. Why?
jonghotti

Re: Read Speeds are slow on new drive?

Post by jonghotti »

Just a wild guess as i"ve noticed the same phenomenon as well is possibly makemkv is now optimized for ripping 4K UHD blu rays??? And that is just a guess I don't know shit. I regularly see ASUS BW16D1HTs max out at 8.0X (7.0-7.5 sustained during the longest m2ts file) same with the LG WH16NS60 but these are with brand new 4K UHD blu rays only. The slim drives BU40/BU50 routinely hit their max of 6.0X and stay pegged, like they're being throttled to avoid rattling themselves to pieces, but again only with 4K blu rays. "2K" blu rays, 1080p blu rays whatever you want to call them I see 4 - 5.0X yeah we'll get there when we get there lol.
Am I alone in these observations?
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829