NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
just4kicks

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by just4kicks »

The_Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 am
Quick question
Apart from ripping to mkv, can these drives with the friendly fw be used to rip uhd disc to iso?

I would like to have 1:1 rips of my discs to stored on my NAS
FYI - thanks to this site's firmware 'fixer', I am doing exactly that - using latest AnyDVD to rip directly to iso, and it works just fine (ASUS BW-16D1HT, Firmware 3.03 flashed to DE 3.02 from this site) via USB 3.0 to SATA connector (Vantec). I chose the external USB connection because it had the most immediate option to test/use it now. Will get it into a separate internal rig install later (building an old Xeon 1366 machine from spare parts that will be used just for ripping UHDs and virus scanning drives from friends who surf and open things they shouldn't :) )
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

just4kicks wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:31 pm
The_Dude wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:58 am
Quick question
Apart from ripping to mkv, can these drives with the friendly fw be used to rip uhd disc to iso?

I would like to have 1:1 rips of my discs to stored on my NAS
FYI - thanks to this site's firmware 'fixer', I am doing exactly that - using latest AnyDVD to rip directly to iso, and it works just fine (ASUS BW-16D1HT, Firmware 3.03 flashed to DE 3.02 from this site) via USB 3.0 to SATA connector (Vantec). I chose the external USB connection because it had the most immediate option to test/use it now. Will get it into a separate internal rig install later (building an old Xeon 1366 machine from spare parts that will be used just for ripping UHDs and virus scanning drives from friends who surf and open things they shouldn't :) )
You're welcome! Glad you finally figured it out!!
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
pm_me_graph_problems

Post by pm_me_graph_problems »

Is there any advice for flashing a LG WH16NS40 on Linux?

I found this article (https://club.myce.com/t/help-revert-lg- ... /399700/61) that recommends using a flasher util: github.com/devilsclaw/flasher. However, this tool doesn't work and says "failed to get pattern", "failed to get firmware info".
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pm_me_graph_problems wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:44 pm
Is there any advice for flashing a LG WH16NS40 on Linux?

I found this article (https://club.myce.com/t/help-revert-lg- ... /399700/61) that recommends using a flasher util: github.com/devilsclaw/flasher. However, this tool doesn't work and says "failed to get pattern", "failed to get firmware info".
There are 3 options:

1. Use a windows machine!!

2. Create a windows 10 32 bit PE on usb stick. The ASUS flasher requires .net framework so not sure if it would work on the usb stick, but the LG flasher should work.

3. Create a windows 10 VM.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
joaopeniche

Post by joaopeniche »

I need help i need to downgrade my BW-16D1HT that is on firmware 3.10 to 1.01 is it possible or did i brick my drive? i have the drivers but it says update error #4
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Uhhhh, 1.01? I hope that was some kind of typo or something. We'd need to know exactly what you did, if your drive is in a usb enclosure or directly attached to a SATA port, what the exact file you were trying to flash was, etc. Cause what you just posted doesn't add up and if it's accurate that's not likely good.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

man i need to make a better video this is getting out of hand i gotten a few emails and youtube comments past few day about bricked ns40 drives
joaopeniche wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:13 pm
I need help i need to downgrade my BW-16D1HT that is on firmware 3.10 to 1.01 is it possible or did i brick my drive? i have the drivers but it says update error #4
but no dont flash 1.01 flash asus 3.10 mk i think the flasher saved you from bricking drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Or he already bricked it and is trying to “unbrick” it via the flasher, like so many others have.

But yeah, he needs to provide additional information as SamuriHL advised. As always, we’re not mind readers here.
Moglash

Post by Moglash »

Hi huys,

I'm french and I've got a problem.
I have a ASUS BW-16D1HT and I think I brick it when I downgrade it whith the DE 3.2 firmware.
Can you help me ?
I used anydvd too.

It don't read any disc.
And when try to use ODD, it's a fail.

Plz help me.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

There's nowhere near enough information for anyone to be able to truly help. Bricking going to 3.02 is not likely unless you flashed something with dosflash, which is most definitely not recommended. You'll need to detail what file you flashed, what program you used to flash it, etc. Then we can see what we can do to help.
jeffeb3

Post by jeffeb3 »

I have a new Asus BW-16D1HT with 3.03.

I don't have an ideal setup for this fw tool, and I spent the better part of yesterday trying to get this working. Here's where I'm at:

I have one desktop machine, running ubuntu 18.04 amd its significantly underpowered. Ultimately, the drive will be here, running the automatic ripping machine. I haven't really used windows in about a decade.

My wife's machine is a laptop and it's windows 10. The adaptor I have is for laptop harddrives and I don't think it's powering the drive right, so I couldn't get the flasher to detect there was a drive.

I painstakingly ran a windows 7 VM on my slow desktop machine, with the drive connected via sata. I say painstalingly just because I'm at all kinds of limits running windows on this tiny board. I managed to click enough drive passthrough settings to get the drive recognized, and I am getting an error #3. I suspect virtualbox is still emulating too much.

I see user sl1pkn07 mentioned trying mono and the convo. went private. Did this end up working? That would be the dream solution for me.

Otherwise, what are my options?

1) Buy a dongle that works with my wife's laptop? Seems like I'm not going to need it after this, so I'm not crazy about the waste.
2) Win 10 PE? Is there a guide to this somewhere? I am really a windows noob. I don't want to dork up my wife's machine either. There was mention of a dosflasher. Is that an option?
3) Ask around to my friends and family until someone has a windows desktop machine? Lol.

And thamk you so much for this tool. I hope I'm not sounding ungrateful. There is a lot of excellent work here.
jeffeb3

Post by jeffeb3 »

jeffeb3 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:35 pm
2) Win 10 PE? Is there a guide to this somewhere? I am really a windows noob. I don't want to dork up my wife's machine either. There was mention of a dosflasher. Is that an option?
Oh boy. I should have just found a friend that had a windows machine.

So it turns out Windows PE doesn't have .net? So this tool doesn't actually work with a windows PE bootable USB drive. This one does though:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 284#p70284

This works, even for the asus drive I own, in a windows PE environment. I'm sure no one will find this on pg. 17 here, but this is what worked for me to make a window PE drive in Ubuntu. Hint: It's not just a dd like many other boot images:

1) Get an iso. I found the "Hiren's Boot CD PE" and about 100 others, but this one was the one I used.
2) Use woeusb. Don't use bootiso. bootiso didn't work for me. Installing the woeusb is a little annoying, but it's the least painful method. It's pretty easy with that software: `woeusb --device Image.iso /dev/sdb` or something similar for your image and device.
3) You can mount the drive in Linux and put all the stuff you need on there, any bins and the flasher. I put mine in /stuff/ and it didn't bother anything.
4) Boot to that drive. I have a BIOS setup on this machine, so I didn't have to fight any uefi problems. This immediately got to a blue windows logo (compared to many previous attempts with just a prompt) and took about 3 mins to boot to a desktop.
5) The stuff you put on the drive will be in the C: folder.

IDK if this is normal, but the first time I tried it I got a checksum error and it said the drive was in "boot" mode and it disappeared from the list of drives. After a reboot, the tool said I had the 3.02 firmware on it, and when I flashed it again, it completed successfully. It's reporting 3.02 in makemkv and it's ripping away.

Next time, someone needs to just make a tool like this in javascript and have it run in chrome :) . Just kidding. Thanks for the tool and the fixed firmware files.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

jeffeb3 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:02 pm
jeffeb3 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:35 pm
Oh boy. I should have just found a friend that had a windows machine.

So it turns out Windows PE doesn't have .net? So this tool doesn't actually work with a windows PE bootable USB drive. This one does though:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 284#p70284

This works, even for the asus drive I own, in a windows PE environment. I'm sure no one will find this on pg. 17 here, but this is what worked for me to make a window PE drive in Ubuntu. Hint: It's not just a dd like many other boot images:

1) Get an iso. I found the "Hiren's Boot CD PE" and about 100 others, but this one was the one I used.
2) Use woeusb. Don't use bootiso. bootiso didn't work for me. Installing the woeusb is a little annoying, but it's the least painful method. It's pretty easy with that software: `woeusb --device Image.iso /dev/sdb` or something similar for your image and device.
3) You can mount the drive in Linux and put all the stuff you need on there, any bins and the flasher. I put mine in /stuff/ and it didn't bother anything.
4) Boot to that drive. I have a BIOS setup on this machine, so I didn't have to fight any uefi problems. This immediately got to a blue windows logo (compared to many previous attempts with just a prompt) and took about 3 mins to boot to a desktop.
5) The stuff you put on the drive will be in the C: folder.

IDK if this is normal, but the first time I tried it I got a checksum error and it said the drive was in "boot" mode and it disappeared from the list of drives. After a reboot, the tool said I had the 3.02 firmware on it, and when I flashed it again, it completed successfully. It's reporting 3.02 in makemkv and it's ripping away.

Next time, someone needs to just make a tool like this in javascript and have it run in chrome :) . Just kidding. Thanks for the tool and the fixed firmware files.
Good work!!

I read your previous comment and was going to reply with "Use the LG flasher in your win PE environment" but it appears you already figured that one out on your own!!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Hi everyone,

I have attached firmware LG BH16NS55_1.04_MK to my original post. This can be used to downgrade a drive on the latest firmware, such as BH16NS55_1.04, WH16NS60_1.02 etc.

Cheers!
JuicelessMango

Post by JuicelessMango »

So if I buy an LG WH16NS40 off of Amazon and then download and use this tool i'll be good to go?