DVD failed to open

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
ffbacklash

DVD failed to open

Post by ffbacklash »

I've started encountering a weird bug with DVD's. I'll insert one, press the button to read the disc, and instantly receive an error that the disc failed to open. No error, and nothing in debug, just disc failed to open, in just two seconds. To make matters more bizarre, I'll eject the disc, and physically it comes out fine, but the PC still thinks the disc is loaded, the light on the enclosure (not the drive itself) won't stop blinking, and I need to power cycle the drive to get it to work again. I've tried this with several DVD's, and it happens to all of them, but it won't happen to blu-rays.
Grauhaar

Re: DVD failed to open

Post by Grauhaar »

What happens if you access/open the DVD with VLC?
Good Luck :)

Post by ffbacklash »

It is able to play the DVD just fine.
ffbacklash

Post by ffbacklash »

UPDATE

Ok, so a bit more poking a prodding, and I think this isn't a problem with MakeMKV specifically. The whole drive stalls if I try to read a DVD now. I don't think its a problem with the drive, because I just recently reformatted my PC after a hard drive swap, and I'm now on the newest update for Windows 10, and it was working fine before that. Does anyone know if there's an issue with the newest version of Windows 10 and reading DVD's? If so, is there a fix? Or at least a way to get a proper (AND LEGAL) copy of Windows 10 before the July patch?
Crazywolf

Post by Crazywolf »

I just tried making an .MKV of Terminator Genisys (to stick on my Plex server) and kept having the same problem: the DVD plays correctly using VLC but MakeMKV spits out the "failed to open" message.

As I own a copy of DVD Cloner as well as of MakeMKV, I copied just the movie to a blank DVD 5, and although it plays correctly, MakeMKV can't convert the copy either.

I ended up having to convert the unprotected copy of the movie to MKV using Freemake Video Converter: which made and MKV copy of the movie that looks too blurry.

If the "failed to open" error is caused by a glitch/bug in Windows rather than MakeMKV, then I hope we find out so we can badger Microsoft to fix it.