Samsung SE 506 info

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Jabes

Samsung SE 506 info

Post by Jabes »

So this LibreDrive thing has just popped up to say that it is possible for my drive - a Samsung SE 506 (external). What will it do if it gets enabled? I can rip pretty much everything already (although not UHD)

Code: Select all

Drive Information
Manufacturer: TSSTcorp
Product: BDDVDW SE-506BB
Revision: TS00
Serial number: xxx
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 66

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1939
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 02.20
DVD all regions: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw data read: Possible, not yet enabled
BD raw metadata read: Possible, not yet enabled
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
Woodstock

Re: Samsung SE 506 info

Post by Woodstock »

Once it is enabled, probably through a firmware change, one main advantage is that things like AACS version 70 won't lock you out from ripping older disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fretzke

Post by fretzke »

Can someone please post how to enable this? I, too, have a similar Samsung drive (SE-506CB). And assuming the process is similar for these drives I would be gratefull for getting a short instruction.
daiken002

Post by daiken002 »

Just checking if there has been any update regarding enabling LibreDrive on Samsung TSST SE-506BB TS01?
Thanks in advance.
AlvaroB

Post by AlvaroB »

daiken002 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:28 pm
Just checking if there has been any update regarding enabling LibreDrive on Samsung TSST SE-506BB TS01?
Thanks in advance.
I'm also interested. I can lend a hand if needed so it can be cracked.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Guys, so far, Mike has only made available MK firmware for ASUS and LG drives (and their clones). What I would suggest you do:

1. You would need either a copy of your drive firmware or a grab it from a download link if available. (If you are unable to obtain your firmware, Mike does have his own method that may work).
2. You should then contact "mike admin" and give him a copy of your firmware or let him use his method to extract it.
3. Hope, someday, he can create a MK version of your firmware that you can flash.

Hope that helps.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
CarmelApple

Post by CarmelApple »

I just read Woodstock’s reply above and am concerned as I have the SE-506BB drive:

Does this mean if I insert a Blu-ray disc with AACS 70, that it will automatically update/disable the drive such that it will no longer be able to rip all earlier AACS discs?

Just asking due to the reply above that it would lock out being able to rip lower AACS version discs — which would seriously suck.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

AACS v70 is one of what I refer to as a "revoking" version. It contains a new lock-out table that drives WILL load when inserted, which will tell the drive not to accept MakeMKV's key. So, yes, it can block you from ripping ANY BD, even older ones, until you update MakeMKV.

Technically, every version of AACS contains a revocation table, but they do not matter unless it revokes the key being used by MakeMKV.

Revocation tables are read in before the drive even talks to the operating system.
CarmelApple

Post by CarmelApple »

Woodstock, thanks so much for confirming my concern. So until a firmware update is available for this drive, how can we best manage this situation short of buying a new external BD drive?

For example:

1) Are there any online resources (in addition to our favorite search engines) that keep track of each AACS version used for each blu-ray release? That way, we could know in advance before inserting a higher AACS version disc. (Kind of like safe-sex for our drives. :? )

2) Will MakeMKV continue to work on non-LibreDrives like the SE-506BB as long as newer AACS versions are continued to be added to it (as the release notes for 1.14.4 seem to suggest)?

Thanks again, just trying to figure out how to deal with this without having to purchase a new drive when my existing device works just fine (for now anyway).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I haven't seen any "this movie uses AACS version XX" resources, but I have not actually gone looking for them. I usually find out about them when someone says they're having an issue here on the forum, but I sometimes get them myself - my anime supplier will often ship me stuff as much as 6 weeks before the official release, and I've hit a revoking release twice on new stuff. Anime vendors aren't quite as fast to adopt new versions of AACS as theatrical releases, but they do keep up.

My "protection" is that I have multiple drives here, and it's the drive that will be lock things out, not the computer. If D: gets zapped, I still have E:, another computer with BD drives, and a couple of USB BD drives I can use (for other disks, obviously) until MakeMKV is updated.

LibreDrive mode makes it so that the revocation table is irrelevant, although it still won't decode a newer version of AACS than MakeMKV knows about. So, while (say) v70 revokes MakeMKV's key, in LD mode, a pre-v70 disk will read just fine.
CarmelApple

Post by CarmelApple »

Okay, now I get the revocation function, and how LD essentially bypasses the table via direct access, thanks.

Here’s where I’m still a bit confused: The release notes state that with ver. 1.14.4 and newer, MakeMKV has added AACS 70 (for us “poor souls without LibreDrive”). If we have a non-LD drive, what does that mean?

For instance, I’m not sure if that means when I insert an AACS 70 disc in my drive:

a) MakeMKV will rip that disc, BUT now can no longer rip any lower-version AACS discs (because of the updated revocation table in my drive), OR

b) MakeMKV will rip that disc AND still be able to rip all prior AACS ver. discs, even without having LD enabled,

OR...???
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

CarmelApple wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:35 am
Okay, now I get the revocation function, and how LD essentially bypasses the table via direct access, thanks.

Here’s where I’m still a bit confused: The release notes state that with ver. 1.14.4 and newer, MakeMKV has added AACS 70 (for us “poor souls without LibreDrive”). If we have a non-LD drive, what does that mean?

For instance, I’m not sure if that means when I insert an AACS 70 disc in my drive:

a) MakeMKV will rip that disc, BUT now can no longer rip any lower-version AACS discs (because of the updated revocation table in my drive), OR

b) MakeMKV will rip that disc AND still be able to rip all prior AACS ver. discs, even without having LD enabled,

OR...???
B is correct. Mike added host certificate for v70 so without libredrive you can rip all discs up to and including v70.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
CarmelApple

Post by CarmelApple »

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know. Was concerned inserting an AACS 70 disc was a one-way trip without LibreDrive. Great to know it’s not.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 am
B is correct. Mike added host certificate for v70 so without libredrive you can rip all discs up to and including v70.
MKBv72 is currently supported on 1.14.5 with latest key updates.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

fretzke wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 pm
Can someone please post how to enable this? I, too, have a similar Samsung drive (SE-506CB). And assuming the process is similar for these drives I would be gratefull for getting a short instruction.
Ok, I've added a post with a status for all supported (and not) firmwares - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 856#p79712 .