Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
tr000

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by tr000 »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am
tr000 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 pm
I actually already tried it with DVDFab 11.0.3.1, the TV said there were no video tracks on the mp4. Did they add more options to the newer versions?
They did, yeah: https://m.dvdfab.cn/dvd-fab-new try the latest version with single-layer conversion
Hm, I'll have to try it then. Just waiting for this 80GB BD to download!
ragico

Post by ragico »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am
tr000 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:48 pm
I actually already tried it with DVDFab 11.0.3.1, the TV said there were no video tracks on the mp4. Did they add more options to the newer versions?
They did, yeah: https://m.dvdfab.cn/dvd-fab-new try the latest version with single-layer conversion
I did some files using the latest version as per your guide. They play fine on Lg via plex server and also they play fine in a Panasonic Gx 800 and Dolby Vision logo pops up.. The interesting thing is that if DV is double layer they are played as HDR in Panasonic. So a step ahead.
Serviio do not recognize the files made by dvdfab so cant be used but Ples is Ok.
Thank you
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ragico wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 pm
I did some files using the latest version as per your guide. They play fine on Lg via plex server and also they play fine in a Panasonic Gx 800 and Dolby Vision logo pops up.. The interesting thing is that if DV is double layer they are played as HDR in Panasonic. So a step ahead.
Serviio do not recognize the files made by dvdfab so cant be used but Ples is Ok.
Thank you
good to hear. ya dvhe.05.06 is much more broadly supported than dv profile 7, so single layer DV should be the new focus for video files moving forward. I'm already working towards sneaking hd-audio into these mp4s so there's huge potential for full dv playback soon. you can try out a test clip in plex if you want 8)

DV MP4 with DTS-HD MA - DTS:X: https://pcdn-my.pcloud.com/publink/show ... LTnFU6HKty

I'll hopefully be writing a lil app to do the audio conversion automatically for y'all once I do more testing and, as always, have more time.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Grencola wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:12 pm
ragico wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:17 pm
Thank you
good to hear. ya dvhe.05.06 is much more broadly supported than dv profile 7, so single layer DV should be the new focus for video files moving forward. I'm already working towards sneaking hd-audio into these mp4s so there's huge potential for full dv playback soon. you can try out a test clip in plex if you want 8)

DV MP4 with DTS-HD MA - DTS:X: https://pcdn-my.pcloud.com/publink/show ... LTnFU6HKty

I'll hopefully be writing a lil app to do the audio conversion automatically for y'all once I do more testing and, as always, have more time.
Yes it plays correctly with dts hd master audio. Do you think you can do with dolby atmos? Carry on my friend the good work.
BozoXL

Post by BozoXL »

Very nice Grencolo! It works fine using LGs player on LG C7. Sounds great with soundbar :D Thank you (all) for continuing the search for possibilties!
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
I'm already working towards sneaking hd-audio into these mp4s so there's huge potential for full dv playback soon. you can try out a test clip in plex if you want 8)

It would be nice to mention the author and ask permission before reposting someone else's material.
ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am
Yes it plays correctly with dts hd master audio. Do you think you can do with dolby atmos? Carry on my friend the good work.
BozoXL wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pm
Very nice Grencolo! It works fine using LGs player on LG C7. Sounds great with soundbar :D Thank you (all) for continuing the search for possibilties!
You can find the original discussion here:
https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 280#p25319
ragico

Post by ragico »

@Grencola.I tried the original iso ripping of The Doors and dvdfab stops at 2%. Tried many times with many variables at no avail.
This movie has both the theatrical and final version. Could this be the reason? Have you got an idea?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:38 am
Grencola wrote:
I'm already working towards sneaking hd-audio into these mp4s so there's huge potential for full dv playback soon. you can try out a test clip in plex if you want 8)

It would be nice to mention the author and ask permission before reposting someone else's material.
ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:34 am
BozoXL wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:45 pm
You can find the original discussion here:
https://forum.mrmc.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 280#p25319
Oh don't worry I definitely was going to once I made a script, (and name it after you, with permission of course) for people to use as it's a fairly complicated process. Since it's just proof of concept so far as it hasn't been done with a full dv mp4, and like I said I would gladly take the reigns, I was just throwing out that little teaser clip to get some excitement. But yes guys, don't go thinking it's only me doing ANY of this! Yusesope is an evil genius when it comes to audio manipulation lol :)

Edit: EEK, re-reading it does sound a bit like I was stealing your thunder so I truly apologize for that! I just meant I was working toward sneaking hd-audio into dv mp4s (not just the test clips from demos) as in eventually build a little app to handle it all. I should have mentioned you from the start though, and definitely asked you first. Sorry again!
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Oh don't worry I definitely was going to once I made a script, (and name it after you, with permission of course) for people to use as it's a fairly complicated process. Since it's just proof of concept so far as it hasn't been done with a full dv mp4, and like I said I would gladly take the reigns, I was just throwing out that little teaser clip to get some excitement. But yes guys, don't go thinking it's only me doing ANY of this! Yusesope is an evil genius when it comes to audio manipulation lol :)

Edit: EEK, re-reading it does sound a bit like I was stealing your thunder so I truly apologize for that! I just meant I was working toward sneaking hd-audio into dv mp4s (not just the test clips from demos) as in eventually build a little app to handle it all. I should have mentioned you from the start though, and definitely asked you first. Sorry again!
It sounds better now. We're cool!
As I have already said, you have full access to what I discover/invent.
I only ask for proper recognition for my work.
A mention is more than enough.

Having said that, there is a problem: the tools provided by Bento4 do not work with large files (they crash).
I have already found a solution for both dual layer (DL) and single layer (SL) files.

I seem to have understood that you are much more interested in SL files.
Therefore, I anticipate you that the last command

Code: Select all

mp4box.exe -add %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4muxer_out.mp4 -add %userprofile%\Desktop\lpcm.mov -brand mp42isomdby1 %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4box_out.mp4
it becomes

mp4box.exe -add %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4muxer_out.mp4 -add %userprofile%\Desktop\lpcm.mov -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4box_out.mp4
The optional step is no longer necessary.

Regarding the DL files, I'm writing a program to patch the file produced by mp4box.
I tried with the UHD of the Alita movie and it works perfectly.

During the next weekend, I will update my post on the mrmc forum.
Stay tuned.
Last edited by yusesope on Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:39 pm
Having said that, there is a problem: the tools provided by Bento4 do not work with large files (they crasch).
I have already found a solution for both dual layer (DL) and single layer (DL) files.

I seem to have understood that you are much more interested in SL files.
Therefore, I anticipate you that the last command

mp4box.exe -add %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4muxer_out.mp4 -add %userprofile%\Desktop\lpcm.mov -brand mp42isomdby1 %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4box_out.mp4
it becomes

mp4box.exe -add %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4muxer_out.mp4 -add %userprofile%\Desktop\lpcm.mov -brand mp42isom -ab dby1 %userprofile%\Desktop\mp4box_out.mp4
The optional step is no longer necessary.

Regarding the DL files, I'm writing a program to patch the file produced by mp4box.
I tried with the UHD of the Alita movie and it works perfectly.

During the next weekend, I will update my post on the mrmc forum.
Stay tuned.
Nice fix, makes sense to me. Also I actually prefer dual layer files since, well, first of all they're free lol (dvdfab is super pricey), but it's not as much work either. It's just that, as I said, only people with Oppo uhd-bd players or the odd e-arc TV can benefit from it. All the external media devices that can do hd-audio (ATV, Fire TV, Kodi boxes, etc) only support single layer DV, which makes sense cuz it's probably meant for netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. It would be amazing to get more dual layer support, but it seems futile.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:44 am
Also I actually prefer dual layer files since, well, first of all they're free lol (dvdfab is super pricey)
DVDFab is a reverse engineering tool: I don't think dolby has released information for creating a single-layer file. It is therefore a workaround and does not always work (for example with the Alita movie).
The only official tool is mp4muxer.
Grencola wrote:
only people with Oppo uhd-bd players or the odd e-arc TV can benefit from it.
Devices with eARC begin to spread and those who own an OPPO certainly do not read this forum.
Regarding OPPO, I advise you to inform yourself about the M9702 V3 Player and take a look HERE (for EU people)

Grencola wrote:
All the external media devices that can do hd-audio (ATV, Fire TV, Kodi boxes, etc) only support single layer DV, which makes sense cuz it's probably meant for netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
We are on the same page.
I don't believe that all the "streaming" devices that support dvhe.05 will ever have the ability to process dual layer files and will never have the opportunity to decode TrueHD/ATMOS (combined with DV).
This is not a technological limit but a commercial strategy.
Think about this: Dolby only charges for one technology per device, which means that the implementation of Dolby Vision and/or TrueHD/ATMOS effectively costs nothing in devices that include their existing technologies.
Why doesn't a 4K ATV support TrueHD/ATMOS?
Why doesn't a NVIDIA Shield TV support Dolby Vision?
Grencola wrote:
It would be amazing to get more dual layer support, but it seems futile.
right now, I'm curious to know if a device like the Sony X700 can play one of my Dual Layer files:
those interested can find it HERE
Let me know...

OT:
How long does it usually take a post to pass moderation on this forum?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:45 am
Grencola wrote:
Also I actually prefer dual layer files since, well, first of all they're free lol (dvdfab is super pricey)
DVDFab is a reverse engineering tool: I don't think dolby has released information for creating a single-layer file. It is therefore a workaround and does not always work (for example with the Alita movie).
The only official tool is mp4muxer.
Exactly. The only tool to make single layer mp4s is expensive, yet dual layer ones via mp4muxer is free.
yusesope wrote:
Grencola wrote:
only people with Oppo uhd-bd players or the odd e-arc TV can benefit from it.
Devices with eARC begin to spread and those who own an OPPO certainly do not read this forum.
Regarding OPPO, I advise you to inform yourself about the M9702 V3 Player and take a look HERE (for EU people)
Oh trust me, I know all too well about the Oppo clone, and have followed its progress since its inception. It's over $500, so it's not a viable option for me and many others. I even went through all the Chinese forums to gather every tool used to build one myself (fw files, custom programs, finding an mtk8581 soc, etc) but eventually abandoned my efforts.
yusesope wrote:
Grencola wrote:
All the external media devices that can do hd-audio (ATV, Fire TV, Kodi boxes, etc) only support single layer DV, which makes sense cuz it's probably meant for netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
We are on the same page.
I don't believe that all the "streaming" devices that support dvhe.05 will ever have the ability to process dual layer files and will never have the opportunity to decode TrueHD/ATMOS (combined with DV).
This is not a technological limit but a commercial strategy.
Think about this: Dolby only charges for one technology per device, which means that the implementation of Dolby Vision and/or TrueHD/ATMOS effectively costs nothing in devices that include their existing technologies.
Why doesn't a 4K ATV support TrueHD/ATMOS?
Why doesn't a NVIDIA Shield TV support Dolby Vision?
True enough. although I suppose as, like you said, more and more e-arc support comes out, these devices will begin to support full hd-audio since TV manufacturers will help with the push for it. ATV 4k or Fire TV 4k using lpcm 7.1 is fine for me personally right now though because I don't have an atmos setup anyway.
yusesope wrote:
Grencola wrote:
It would be amazing to get more dual layer support, but it seems futile.
right now, I'm curious to know if a device like the Sony X700 can play one of my Dual Layer files:
Let me know...
I actually did a bunch of testing on the x700 with a reddit friend, pervin, using the full m2ts file, bdmv folder, and dual layer dv mp4s made with dolbymp4muxer. they all play in hdr10 only so they do not trigger dv properly via both usb and dlna (plex server). BUT the single layer mp4s (LG test demos) DO trigger DV properly on both the player and tv. We then gave up testing, and even returned the unit, as it was no real benefit from what TV's did as no single layer DV movies existed. Now that dvdfab can make single layer files though, it's worth revisiting for sure, especially considering you can force hd-audio into these mp4s. and since the x700 supports all audio formats, even True-HD/Atmos etc, and also has dual hdmi for those with legacy AVRs, it might be the most cost effective way to get DV with full hd-audio. one downside is the device isn't the greatest for playing this stuff though as it bugs out a bit with fast forwarding / skipping and occasionally locks up completely.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm
Now that dvdfab can make single layer files though, it's worth revisiting for sure, especially considering you can force hd-audio into these mp4s. and since the x700 supports all audio formats, even True-HD/Atmos etc...
Hoping that DVDFab will improve.

I have updated and simplified my previous commands (HERE).
Now there is no need for the Bento4 SDK, Python and custom atoms (and related custom patching tool)

Enjoy!
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

yusesope wrote:
Let me know...
Hi, I have tried you files (Test_DL_DV_DTS_HD_MA, Test_DV_ALAW, Test_DV_FLAC, Test_DV_LPCM, Test_DV_LPMC_BigEnd, Test_DV_MULAW) on the Sony X700 and they all play in DV, but I have got sound only with Test_DV_LPCM, Test_DV_LPMC_BigEnd. The player showed PCM 7.1, however my AV receiver did not show any text. But I guess the sound was in all channels correctly. Is it the same quality as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

powdeau wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Hi, I have tried you files (Test_DL_DV_DTS_HD_MA, Test_DV_ALAW, Test_DV_FLAC, Test_DV_LPCM, Test_DV_LPMC_BigEnd, Test_DV_MULAW) on the Sony X700 and they all play in DV, but I have got sound only with Test_DV_LPCM, Test_DV_LPMC_BigEnd. The player showed PCM 7.1, however my AV receiver did not show any text. But I guess the sound was in all channels correctly.
Sounds cool. Thanks for sharing.
powdeau wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Is it the same quality as TrueHD or DTS-HD MA?
The audio quality is the same!
The conversion process (TrueHD -> LPCM) only involves the loss of the metadata connected to the audio track:

Keep in mind that most modern AVR are able to analyze and process incoming audio and compensate for the lack of this metadata.