Subtitles won't display with Serviio -> Sony

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
David A. Smith

Subtitles won't display with Serviio -> Sony

Post by David A. Smith »

I have tried all the options I could dope out, but I cannot seem to get an MKV that Serviio + Sony will display subtitles, if the source is Blu-Ray quality. DVDs are no problem. The Sony says "On:" or whatever, indicating that it recognizes that there are viable subtitles, just nothing ever displays. Tried the various selections before ripping, just no joy.

I apologize if this is an old problem, and is discussed elsewhere. Thank you for any help.
Chetwood

Re: Subtitles won't display with Serviio -> Sony

Post by Chetwood »

DLNA sucks and some TVs cannot play back bitmap-based subs over it. You shoul rip an 1 minute clip with MKVToolnix and try various subtitle formats (Vobsub, SRT, internal/external) to see if that makes a difference.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

As far as I know, DLNA (UPnP) supports only VOBSUB (DVD) and not HDMV/PGS (Blu-ray) subtitles.

Solution is to convert the HDMV/PGS subtitle(s) with the Java tool "BD Sup2Sub". Extract the subtitle track and use in the java tool the output format "SUB/IDX" and remux the new track with MKVTollNIX to the mkv file.
Good Luck :)

Post by Woodstock »

Piling on here, if I play the same file over SMB networking and DLNA, using the same playback hardware, subtitles will only be available via SMB. This is because SMB networking allows the player to see everything about the file, as if it were playing it back from a local device; DLNA does not.

My family accesses our network via DLNA, because they're using a "Smart" (sic) TV. They don't care about subtitles. I do, so my players use SMB.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging