Error flashing LG BH16NS40

Discussion of LibreDrive mode, compatible drives and firmwares
Papy de la mer

Error flashing LG BH16NS40

Post by Papy de la mer »

Bonjour.
I'm a millstone" ...
In wanting to flash my burner to make it compatible with libredrive I made a first mistake in deceiving me completely type (I flash for LG WH16NS40) ...
Obviously the following was very tricky because the application update LG refused to flash the original firmware, the burner is deemed no longer have the right type.
Thanks to our friends from CDRinfo.pl I thought I could cope with the LG Blu-Ray Crossflash. I could flash with version 1.02 of what I thought was, this time, the good burner reference. "Small detail", the firmware version used is for the BH16NS40 - NS50 and the burner still does not work ...
I naturally have the solution in principle: find the binary file version 1.02 or 1.03 adapted to my LG and flash. But, currently on the web, I only find the LG update executable and not the binary file alone. Would anyone have this precious file in LG version unmodified ... or better ... in libredrive compatible version?
Thank you all.
Billycar11

Re: Error flashing LG BH16NS40

Post by Billycar11 »

Your drive would still work if it was crossflashed to wh16ns40 if it was the same svc code as the firmware. I'm guessing your drive is an svc ns40 and made before 2015 if you flashed to an ns 50 firmware you will now need to use the dosflash method to fix your drive
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Papy de la mer

Post by Papy de la mer »

I totally agree but ... what I'm looking for is a binary file of a compatible version of my BH16NS40 since LG only has executables for updates, which in my case obviously does not work.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

First, I created a firmware extractor for the LG firmware files to extract the bin. You'll find it if you search the UHD forum.

HOWEVER....

I just want to clarify that if your expectation is that you can just flash it with one of the patched Windows flashers and restore your drive, then you're in for massive disappointment as that will not work. Once you get the proper bin file for your drive, you will need to use the dosflash process as follows:

-Extract your current firmware bin from the drive. This is the most critical step.
-Prepare a new firmware bin using the data mover tool to copy your encryption and calibration data to a copy of the clean firmware bin you extract from the LG flasher
-Flash the newly prepared firmware bin

That's the only way to repair an NS40 drive with the wrong service code that's been flashed with the NS50 firmware.
Papy de la mer

Post by Papy de la mer »

First of all a big thank you to SamuriHL who took the time to explain to me the process to achieve as a whole. I had collected bits of this process on the net but I did not have the overview.
For the firmware extraction I found the tool and I tested it: it's OK.
For DOS Flash, I did some tests. Although being in the latest version of windows 10, I managed to bypass the Driver Signature Enforcement to install "portio64.sys" but I can not go back to IDE mode with my current PC. I will look for a solution with a less evolved PC.
Regarding the preparation of the new binary, I'm not comfortable even if the post SamuriHL gave me ideas to find a more detailed procedure that I think I found elsewhere on the forum.
I will look at this a little closer when I have a (big) free moment ...

In the meantime, I put 2 slaps and ... I broke my piggy bank to buy an ASUS BW-16D1HT. Now arises the question of whether I try again the compatibility jump with libredrive by flaming with the procedure given by MartyMcNuts (see post of 17/02/19 at 16:30) ... without risking losing this new burner ...
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

The dosflash method of flashing is not for the faint of heart. But it's the only way to recover your NS40 at this point. You can't run dosflash in 64 bit windows 10. You need to use a 32 bit version of windows. Most of us used WinPE environments for that. The data mover tool is fairly straight forward. You give it your drive's current firmware binary, then give it to the new firmware binary you want to flash (the one extracted from the LG flasher), and it'll create a new firmware bin that can be flashed with dosflash. It does all the encryption and calibration data moving for you. That all being said.....

Yes, you definitely need IDE mode to be able to use dosflash.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

As for you BW-16D1HT, flashing that with one of the patched windows flashers is quite safe. It's not easy (possible?) to brick that drive with this method. It's also one of the drives I use and I've put mine through flashing hell. LOL
Papy de la mer

Post by Papy de la mer »

Bonjour.
This last post to conclude on the subject ...
I just received my Asus BW-16D1HT burner. In the process, I decided to upgrade the firmware from the official version 3.03 to libredrive version 3.10 MK (I had my fingers crossed in my back ... nobody saw it ...).
Everything seems OK and I started ripping my blu-ray collection to my NAS.
For the LG BH16NS40, I did not say my last word, if only to learn and understand in an area where I am ignorant.
Thanks again to SamuriHL for his support.
Thetruth78

Post by Thetruth78 »

My LG BH14NS40 stopped working after I tried flashing. I used the unlocked flasher tool. When I insert disc into drive it doesn’t read. I tried using authentic lg firmware update to put back to current Firmware. Drive still not working. Is the drive broken. Or can I use the dos flash to fix it. If so how do I get program to work on my 64 bit win 10. Thanks.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Thetruth78 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 pm
My LG BH14NS40 stopped working after I tried flashing. I used the unlocked flasher tool. When I insert disc into drive it doesn’t read. I tried using authentic lg firmware update to put back to current Firmware. Drive still not working. Is the drive broken. Or can I use the dos flash to fix it. If so how do I get program to work on my 64 bit win 10. Thanks.
Read this entire thread:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=winpe

Same may apply to you.
Thetruth78

Post by Thetruth78 »

Thanks. Installed 32bit windows on another partition. I set my drive to port 1 on SATA. But I’m getting this error when trying to read flash on dosflash.

“No known flash chip on this port”

Can anyone help me figure this out. Thanks.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You didn't say that you switched the SATA port to IDE mode but that is required.
Thetruth78

Post by Thetruth78 »

I have the drive in IDE mode. I kept opening and closing the dosflash we finally got it to read. Followed the steps and started to write firmware. Then my computer went blue screen. I restarted computer then the drive was not there. There is no power going to the drive. Any thoughts? I unplugged the power cable and SATA to the drive and reconnected made sure connections are tight. Still no power.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Thetruth78 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:35 am
I have the drive in IDE mode. I kept opening and closing the dosflash we finally got it to read. Followed the steps and started to write firmware. Then my computer went blue screen. I restarted computer then the drive was not there. There is no power going to the drive. Any thoughts? I unplugged the power cable and SATA to the drive and reconnected made sure connections are tight. Still no power.
Most likely permanently dead sorry.
One thing to check is download the official flasher from LG and see if the drive is in recovery mode that would be able to restore it but it is very unlikely since dos flash erases the flash before writing.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com