Optical drive keeps disconnecting

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
lynks101

Optical drive keeps disconnecting

Post by lynks101 »

I've just upgraded my optical drive to a LG WH14NS40 NS50 ripped a few DVD's with no problem. The drive is mounted in an external ICYDOCK enclosure with its own power supply and connected to the PC via a USB 2.0.

Attempted to rip a Blu-Ray, MakeMKV would attempt to open the disk then at the end the drive would disconnect and the immediately reconnect, the disk would be open, but wouldn't rip.

I bought the drive because it was UHD friendly and noticed that it was running 1.03 firmware, which I downgraded to 1.02 but this hasn't helped the issue.

any help would be appreciated.
lynks101

Re: Optical drive keeps disconnecting

Post by lynks101 »

UPDATE - I returned the drive and replaced it with a ASUS BW-16D1HT and the same problem persists, so can rule out it being faulty :?

I've now got the ASUS drive hanging out the side of my PC seeing if the ICYBOX enclosure is to fault

Its strange because it works flawlessly with my old Samsung SH-B123

But all is looking good, so a long sata cable and some modification to the enclosure is planned :twisted:

Thanks to anyone who was going to help, but think I've got it sorted
Coopervid

Re: Optical drive keeps disconnecting

Post by Coopervid »

The most likely reason is the enclosure. The firmwares are in most of the cases outdated and create problems. Please google for firmware updates or let me know what is the detailed version of this enclosure and I will google. Only second option of course!