Flashed wrong firmware and killed drive

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
Daskew78

Flashed wrong firmware and killed drive

Post by Daskew78 »

Hi all,

First time here and need some help please.

I have the BH16NS40 and tried to flash it to make it rip-friendly but messed it up being a n00b.

The PC still see's it but it's not reading anything now. Is it a door stop now or can it be salvaged?

Thanks.
Regards

Dave
d00zah

Re: Flashed wrong firmware and killed drive

Post by d00zah »

You're not alone. It's possible to recover, but a PITA. Start by reading this:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19071
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Man I hate these old NS40 drives.....I really do.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Indeed. A shame there's no way to avoid this sort of mishap. :roll:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea, there should be warnings posted about it. :roll: :lol:
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Hi Guys,

They are talking about a different drive in that post though... I'm a bit over my head to be honest. Is there anyone that might be able to give me some step by step instructions to fix it please?

Can my drive even rip blu-rays? i'm still not sure if it can?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

While the drive model might be slightly different it has the same issue. I don't know the differences between the drives, but, the same principal applies in that if it does NOT have an NS50 svc code on the sticker, then flashing an NS50 firmware will brick the drive. Given the symptoms you're posting, it's the exact same situation. In your case, to revive it you'd need the proper bin file for the BH16NS40 non NS50 SVC code drive so that you can follow the exact same process I outlined in the post that's been referenced. There is no other way to fix the drive, unfortunately.

(Specifically what I posted here:)

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 625#p71625

Also, I've attached a modified zip file of the latest firmware for the BH16NS40 that includes the extracted firmware bin file that'll be needed to restore the drive. You will still need to follow the EXACT process I outlined in the above post, but use this firmware file instead of the one for the WH14NS40.
Attachments
BH16NS40_1.03-A0(ew).zip
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 884 times
Last edited by SamuriHL on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

Okay thanks for clarifying that.

Where would I likely get the bin file from? Also does it support ripping blu-rays my drive if I flash it with a bin file for ripping them which is what I was trying to do in the first place?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

It already supported blu-ray ripping. You didn't need to flash anything for that. If you're referring to UHD ripping, then no, your drive is too old. Also I've updated my previous post with what you need.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

AMAZING, thanks very much.

My only other issue is with DosFlash... I've pout my PC in test mode (it's showing that in the bottom right corner of windows 10), but no matter how many times I try it says that it cannot install the portio.sys driver and suggests to disable driver signature enforcement as I have already done.

Can I use a USB boot disk with WindowsPE from anywhere or does it have to be from DosFlash?
Regards

Dave
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

You should read through a few posts after the one I linked to in that thread. Billy has a great video on how to do this whole process. You can't just use "safe mode" as that's not going to work. You have to create a USB bootable WinPE 32 bit Windows environment with the dosflash, data mover, and the firmware bin I gave you on it. And your SATA port must be set to IDE mode in the bios before you boot the WInPE 32 bit USB stick. Then you can run dosflash, and do the extract. That is THE most important part of the whole thing. If you don't do the extract of your existing firmware FIRST before doing ANYTHING else once you boot into the WinPE environment, you will permanently brick the drive. After the firmware is extracted, you run the data mover tool and it will ask for the clean bin, the extracted bin, and it will create a new combined bin file. That is what you will end up flashing in dosflash. That will restore your drive.
Daskew78

Post by Daskew78 »

I've seen the video but I can't get that far because I cannot get DosFlash to run.

Does the WinPE boot disk have to be created with DosFlash or can I use another WinPE boot tool and create it?
Regards

Dave
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Daskew78 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:40 am
I've seen the video but I can't get that far because I cannot get DosFlash to run.

Does the WinPE boot disk have to be created with DosFlash or can I use another WinPE boot tool and create it?
use the tool i linked in video to make a 32 bit bootable pe and set your bios to ide mode
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I don't know what you mean by "created with dosflash"... dosflash has nothing at all to do with anything but reading and writing firmware from am optical drive.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Billycar11 wrote:
Daskew78 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:40 am

use the tool i linked in video to make a 32 bit bootable pe and set your bios to ide mode
Yes exactly this.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk