Trouble with Open Files in v1.14.4

Everything related to MakeMKV
rdkapp

Trouble with Open Files in v1.14.4

Post by rdkapp »

I am trying to convert some VOB files on my computer hard drive to MKV. I converted some VOB files about a year ago, using an older version of MakeMKV, without issue. My computer was and is currently running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

So, I downloaded and installed MakeMKV BETA v1.14.4. It opens and converts a DVD and its files just fine; however, when I either select Open Files under the File menu or click the Open Files icon on the toolbar, the program hangs and ultimately gives me the following error message: fatal error occurred, program will now exit.

After some research online, I have added the MakeMKV folder and the associated application files (makemkv.exe, makemkvcon.exe, and makemkvcon64.exe) as Exclusions in Windows Defender, with no change to the issue. I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling MakeMKV, also to no avail, and I am now at the proverbial brick wall and don't know what to do to make it work. I was hoping someone here could help me resolve this problem.
rdkapp

Re: Trouble with Open Files in v1.14.4

Post by rdkapp »

Bump

Can someone please help me? I'm still having the same issue.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely cause is that the last location you successfully opened is no longer a valid path. Especially if it was a network path. When you select "Open files", it tries to open the most recently used (MRU) path.

Have you recently disconnected a network resource?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rdkapp

Post by rdkapp »

Thanks for the reply Woodstock.

No, I haven't disconnected a network path, but I do have one (and may have used it in the past), and I've played around with it recently. After a recent Windows update, when I reboot, it doesn't automatically re-establish the connection with that network drive. To remedy the situation, all I have to do is click on it in File Explorer and it re-establishes the connection. However, I also made a shortcut to it.

I'm sure I've tried to Open Files in MakeMKV in both scenarios (network drive connected and not connected) and I always get the same result.

So, if MakeMKV is looking for a path that no longer exists, and then shuts down, is there a way to fix it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The registry entry Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MakeMKV\path_Openfile looks to be the place MakeMKV stores the initial directory for Open->File (at least on my Windows system).

Mine just has "Z:/" in it, because I always copy any ISO or backup files there if I'm going to open them.

If you clear it, the Open->Files box should open at "Computer" by default.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rdkapp

Post by rdkapp »

That registry entry was the culprit. It was pointed at a folder on the network drive that was still there, but it was pointed at the local IP address of the network drive (e.g. \\192.168.xxx.xxx/...). I guess MakeMKV wasn't able to handle it in that way. I cleared it and now we're back in business.

Pretty simple fix. I didn't even think to check the registry. Thank you so much for your help.