"Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Sush1988

Re: "Fake playlist" protection - help needed

Post by Sush1988 »

I ripped Johnwick both versions, Both are having Fake playlists.

Any solution found for the process ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As mentioned above, for the BLURAY version of JW and JW2, MakeMKV detects the proper play list and highlights it near the top of the listing.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jayper

Post by jayper »

Posting here for some visibility. In the last month or so, I have noticed two Lionsgate titles which MakeMKV suggests the incorrect playlist:

Gloria Bell - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19711

High Life - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19918

Is there something specific about Lionsgate that makes playlist identification more difficult, or is it a coincidence that they are both Lionsgate titles?
dbtayag

Post by dbtayag »

jayper wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:29 pm
Posting here for some visibility. In the last month or so, I have noticed two Lionsgate titles which MakeMKV suggests the incorrect playlist:

Gloria Bell - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19711

High Life - https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19918

Is there something specific about Lionsgate that makes playlist identification more difficult, or is it a coincidence that they are both Lionsgate titles?
Not a coincidence. If it is a Lionsgate title, it will most likely have fake playlists.
Sush1988

Post by Sush1988 »

What is the best solution as of now for the Fake playlist of all Lionsgate movies ? I appreciate your advice.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

Apologies for the newbie question, but what happens if I have ripped and re-encoded the wrong playlist?

On the few, that I have encountered, and I didn't make a note of which these were, I have just picked the largest or first.

TIA.
rco133

Post by rco133 »

If you pick the wrong playlist one of several Things can happen.

1. At some point during the movie, a screen will show some text saying that this is not an original disk, but a copy. This usually lasts for 5-10 seconds, or more, and can be at any point in the movie.

2. The order of the m2ts files is wrong, which means that the flow of the movie will make no sense, since the encode will jump to wrong Places in the movie when it changes to the next m2ts file.

Lionsgate seems to be getting better and better at hiding the correct playlist. I have even seen the method with PowerDVD and proccess monitor turn up the wrong playlist. Guess they have some way to detect that proccess monitor is running or whatever.

I find the only trustworthy way to find the correct playlist, is the hard way. Extract all the playlists to a file, sort it, and then simply play the m2ts files manually to find how they should play. When there is 400+ playlists, it can take some time. But after sorting the list, one can very fast narrow it Down to maybe 20 or so playlists, since all the others makes absolutely no sense, when playing the files.
Mr_Orange

Post by Mr_Orange »

rco133 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:51 am
If you pick the wrong playlist one of several Things can happen.

1. At some point during the movie, a screen will show some text saying that this is not an original disk, but a copy. This usually lasts for 5-10 seconds, or more, and can be at any point in the movie.

2. The order of the m2ts files is wrong, which means that the flow of the movie will make no sense, since the encode will jump to wrong Places in the movie when it changes to the next m2ts file.

Lionsgate seems to be getting better and better at hiding the correct playlist. I have even seen the method with PowerDVD and proccess monitor turn up the wrong playlist. Guess they have some way to detect that proccess monitor is running or whatever.

I find the only trustworthy way to find the correct playlist, is the hard way. Extract all the playlists to a file, sort it, and then simply play the m2ts files manually to find how they should play. When there is 400+ playlists, it can take some time. But after sorting the list, one can very fast narrow it Down to maybe 20 or so playlists, since all the others makes absolutely no sense, when playing the files.
Thank you for your reply.

I guess I could be in for some suprises in the future then.

I have only completed about 20 of my BD collection and many of them only had single playlists so it might not be too hard for me to go back and double-check them now.

At least I know to look out for them now and spend some time working out the correct playlist.
DarthSolidus

Post by DarthSolidus »

Update. I just tried to rip JW3 and the programs give 400 titles. I even enabled JRE but to no vail. I saved the first option but when I scrubbed it the scenes where completely off. :( :(
vila2k

Post by vila2k »

I think 3 from hell has this protection
jason1202

Post by jason1202 »

I'm using 1.14.5

I tried to rip the blu ray "Long Shot (2019)" with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan. The makemkv list shows main feature 26gigs and I noticed a long list of very similar in length ones to choose from. The one makemkv thought was the right one was not. The very beginning was right but the next scene was not.

What, if any, additional info can I provide to help? It is Lionsgate as I've seen from other posts in this forum as being a problem.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The very first message in this topic has the list of things Mike needs, and how to get them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
rdgrimes

Post by rdgrimes »

I sent in the requested files for Cotton Club Encore with some kind of screenpass.
Cigar

Post by Cigar »

This whole fake playlists thing does seem to interest me quite a lot. I just recently sorted out the Angel Has Fallen UK Blu Ray. The last time I checked a Lionsgate movie was with 47 Meters Down: Uncaged (the sequel to the original) USA disc.

What I've discovered here is that Lionsgate seem to be getting even more wise. You can't always trust using the Process Monitor route as I've noticed that problems can happen and you can't always guarantee it will be correct. I did find out that infact trying to watch 47 Meters Down: Uncaged (USA Version) that infact it wouldn't even play in PowerDVD18 which it should have done but failed. For customers who buy movies produced by Lionsgate this is slightly worrying as buying a Legit disc and playing it on a laptop can be troublesome as I found out. The problem that I experienced with 47 Meters Down: Uncaged was that the scene near the beginning of the movie there was a point where the family sit around the dinner table and they talk about what's going on in their lives and suddenly the next scene comes after where they catch a ride into town and they get dropped off by their family or something along those lines. I noticed by watching the movie in PowerDVD18 that infact the scenes would jump around when playing the BD on the computer. Playing the scenes on a Blu Ray player I used a 4K Panasonic and it worked just fine. There was no problems with the player but with the computer it was jumping between having dinner at their home and catching the ride into town and back again all jumbled up. It was a bit of a mess really I'm sorry to say. Thankfully somebody put the correct playlist on here so I was able to use it and do a correct rip.

The other day I had to work out Angel Has Fallen UK disc and it was a bit of a job as I'm more concerned now about things going wrong. It happened to be okay this time, I had to write the whole thing out it took me 2 hours to check it all and write a list of different scenes and how they join together. It was 20 segments and I wrote it out in 4 blocks of 5. The first one was easy as that was used in every playlist on the disc. The second scene wasn't very long this scene where he gets into his car. The next one where he goes home and he's with his wife. It was fairly easy. I mapped them out properly noting each duration of each m2ts file and made a note of each number and where it began in the movie. Then took the disc to a Blu Ray player and played the movie on a TV working out if all the order was correct. This did infact work okay, the playlist that Process Monitor gave was actually correct so I was glad. In the future not so glad if this information is somehow incorrect. It is a bit worrying, obviously if there's a great many segments it will take even further work to write the whole thing down clearly and note it all so it can be checked. Also checking the total duration to make sure it is all properly mapped out.

Simply just ripping the entire disc to the hard drive and you can then gain access to all the files that you need, just make sure you go through them on your PC. Look at the ones that have large file size and you'll notice those are the important scenes. I noticed with Angel Has Fallen that there were some long scenes so it was easier with those. You just fast forward the movie to the extact point in time where it should end up and if you've done it right you should spot the scene in question and then you know if that's the right part. You can even do this if you've not watched the movie, it doesn't spoil it really or anything you've just gotta skip to each join and check it.

You can't really beat writing things down, it's the sure way to make sure that it's accurate. In the future really being very careful and checking things like this is essential. Just write a brief description of each scene and note it properly and then you can't go wrong. At least then if you check it you'll be able to see if it's all joining up properly. I'm not sure really how Process Monitor would get the wrong Playlist but if that's what's going on then I have no idea how they are doing that but that 47 Meters Down: Uncaged movie was the first time I've seen anything of its kind.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Cigar wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:00 pm
I did find out that infact trying to watch 47 Meters Down: Uncaged (USA Version) that infact it wouldn't even play in PowerDVD18 which it should have done but failed. For customers who buy movies produced by Lionsgate this is slightly worrying as buying a Legit disc and playing it on a laptop can be troublesome as I found out. The problem that I experienced with 47 Meters Down: Uncaged was that the scene near the beginning of the movie there was a point where the family sit around the dinner table and they talk about what's going on in their lives and suddenly the next scene comes after where they catch a ride into town and they get dropped off by their family or something along those lines. I noticed by watching the movie in PowerDVD18 that infact the scenes would jump around when playing the BD on the computer.
This is probably where I would have fun with Lionsgate through email or even on the phone. I would explain to them the disc master is defective or something as you've exchanged the movie 5 times and still have the same issue. Let them know your setup, ie, PowerDVD 18. You could also raise a little hell with the Attorney General's office as well if that conversation doesn't go well. A legitimately purchased movie should play correctly on a legitimate setup, period.
Reminds me of the days when EA games for the PC came on disc. Sometimes you'd get a game that, no matter what, keeps yelling to insert the original disc or it would not work right, and the only solution is to find a crack for your legitimately purchased game. EA Games of course plays stupid and blames your system, but ultimately it was their copy protection.