NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
TedBops

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by TedBops »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm
TedBops wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Apologies for being a newbie but I expected to get a new drive. Fortunately, it still works so I have already arranged a refund and return. I will source a new one from elsewhere and try to check that it is firmware 3.01 or above before I do anything. I'll also make sure I read everything possible on this thread.
Thanks
Yep, simply put, that drive is too old. I'm pretty sure that the UHD friendly models started being produced around October 2015 and the initial firmware was 3.00.

Return it for a new one!!
Got my brand new BW-16D1HT today and installed into my PC (it was manufactured March 19). Ran MakeMKV and it says drive platform MT 1959 and firmware version 3.10. Before any attempt to use the Asus modified flasher do I chose firmware version 3.02 (DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin) or 3.10 (ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin) in the MK folder. I am a bit confused as folks seem to use both.
Assuming it all works, I have MakeMKV and AnyDVD HD. I already use AnyDVD HD to create ISOs from Bluray discs but yet to try UHD.
Newbie help appreciated as I don't want to brick my brand new drive!
MartyMcNuts

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by MartyMcNuts »

TedBops wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:08 pm
TedBops wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Apologies for being a newbie but I expected to get a new drive. Fortunately, it still works so I have already arranged a refund and return. I will source a new one from elsewhere and try to check that it is firmware 3.01 or above before I do anything. I'll also make sure I read everything possible on this thread.
Thanks
Yep, simply put, that drive is too old. I'm pretty sure that the UHD friendly models started being produced around October 2015 and the initial firmware was 3.00.

Return it for a new one!!
Got my brand new BW-16D1HT today and installed into my PC (it was manufactured March 19). Ran MakeMKV and it says drive platform MT 1959 and firmware version 3.10. Before any attempt to use the Asus modified flasher do I chose firmware version 3.02 (DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin) or 3.10 (ASUS-BW-16D1HT-3.10-WM01601-211901041014.bin) in the MK folder. I am a bit confused as folks seem to use both.
Assuming it all works, I have MakeMKV and AnyDVD HD. I already use AnyDVD HD to create ISOs from Bluray discs but yet to try UHD.
Newbie help appreciated as I don't want to brick my brand new drive!
As your new drive has 3.10, you must flash BW-16D1HT 3.10-MK before you can flash any other firmware.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kitkimes wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 am
Hi Marty,

You ask:

A few questions:

1. How is your drive connected to PC?
2. What OS are you using?
3. How old is your drive?
4. Are you sure it came with firmware 3.03 (and not 3.10)?

I has a desktop tower with the ASUS mounted in a bay and connected to the MB with a SATA cable. I am running Win7 OS. I bought this drive early this year to replace an old one that went bad. As for the firmware, 3.03 is what MakeMKV displays so I believe that that is the firmware version on the drive.

Thanks,

KIt
Did you have anything running in the background that accesses the drive, such as AnyDVD, DVDFab etc? as these will hinder the firmware update process.

If not, can you please try it again. If you cannot get it to work, please try the LG flasher. Grab it from this link and place in the same folder as the ASUS flasher. Run it, click the little folder icon to choose a firmware, then click the play icon to flash.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... =75#p72531

Let us know how you go.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
kitkimes

Post by kitkimes »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am
kitkimes wrote:
Hi Marty,

You ask:

A few questions:

I has a desktop tower with the ASUS mounted in a bay and connected to the MB with a SATA cable. I am running Win7 OS. I bought this drive early this year to replace an old one that went bad. As for the firmware, 3.03 is what MakeMKV displays so I believe that that is the firmware version on the drive.

Thanks,

KIt
Did you have anything running in the background that accesses the drive, such as AnyDVD, DVDFab etc? as these will hinder the firmware update process.

If not, can you please try it again. If you cannot get it to work, please try the LG flasher. Grab it from this link and place in the same folder as the ASUS flasher. Run it, click the little folder icon to choose a firmware, then click the play icon to flash.

Let us know how you go.
Marty,

I tried it again unsuccessfully, so I downloaded the flasher you suggested and ran it and chose the DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin file. When I hit the flash button, nothing happened. I waited a long time since I was unsure as to how long it would take. Any other ideas?

If I choose the bin file in subdirectory MK (the 3.10 version), would that one upgrade me to 3.10 but let me downgrade it then to 3.02? I'm willing to try if you think it would work (using the original ASUS flasher).
lixee

Post by lixee »

Got my BW-16D1HT today and flashed it with DE 3.02 (Manifacture Date Dec 2018, 3.03).

Wasn't able to test UHD discs yet, but normal BD discs work perfectly so far! Thank you so much!!!

Not sure about this one, but I think the Serial Number displayed in MakeMKV is now a different one? Didn't backup the original FW since no one seems to do that... just curious, in case I want to restore factory default (usually by flashing the official firmware).
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

lixee wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:14 pm
Got my BW-16D1HT today and flashed it with DE 3.02 (Manifacture Date Dec 2018, 3.03).

Wasn't able to test UHD discs yet, but normal BD discs work perfectly so far! Thank you so much!!!

Not sure about this one, but I think the Serial Number displayed in MakeMKV is now a different one? Didn't backup the original FW since no one seems to do that... just curious, in case I want to restore factory default (usually by flashing the official firmware).
The serial number should not change. Even when cross flashing, it stays the same.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kitkimes wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:40 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
kitkimes wrote:
Hi Marty,

You ask:

A few questions:

Thanks,

KIt

Let us know how you go.
Marty,

I tried it again unsuccessfully, so I downloaded the flasher you suggested and ran it and chose the DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.bin file. When I hit the flash button, nothing happened. I waited a long time since I was unsure as to how long it would take. Any other ideas?

If I choose the bin file in subdirectory MK (the 3.10 version), would that one upgrade me to 3.10 but let me downgrade it then to 3.02? I'm willing to try if you think it would work (using the original ASUS flasher).
For further assistance please answer the questions previously asked. Thanks 😊
kitkimes

Post by kitkimes »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm
kitkimes wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Let us know how you go.
Marty,

Thanks Marty,

If you are referring to something else running that would prevent the flasher from working, there wasn't. I did check it out but failed to mention it.

I did solve my problem though and I'll mention it here in case others run into the same situation.

I have a ASUS motherboard with 6 SATA ports. The first 4 ports have to be set in the same mode and then other ports have to be set together but they can be in a different mode. My first 4 ports are set to RAID because I have a 2 disk RAID setup in my tower. The last 2 ports are set to IDE. None of them are set to AHCI.

I had my ASUS optical drive plugged into one of the RAID ports. I changed it so that it was plugged into one of the IDE ports and rebooted. As soon as it came up my computer reported it had found new hardware and installed drivers. I then tried to downgrade my optical disk firmware to v3.02 and it worked the first time. I just grabbed any old Blu-ray disc and tried to rip it with MakeMKV and it worked first time.

So my warning to others is to not set your SATA port to either AHCI or RAID.

Thanks again. I'm a happy camper.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kitkimes wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:12 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 pm
kitkimes wrote:

Marty,

Thanks Marty,

If you are referring to something else running that would prevent the flasher from working, there wasn't. I did check it out but failed to mention it.

I did solve my problem though and I'll mention it here in case others run into the same situation.

I have a ASUS motherboard with 6 SATA ports. The first 4 ports have to be set in the same mode and then other ports have to be set together but they can be in a different mode. My first 4 ports are set to RAID because I have a 2 disk RAID setup in my tower. The last 2 ports are set to IDE. None of them are set to AHCI.

I had my ASUS optical drive plugged into one of the RAID ports. I changed it so that it was plugged into one of the IDE ports and rebooted. As soon as it came up my computer reported it had found new hardware and installed drivers. I then tried to downgrade my optical disk firmware to v3.02 and it worked the first time. I just grabbed any old Blu-ray disc and tried to rip it with MakeMKV and it worked first time.

So my warning to others is to not set your SATA port to either AHCI or RAID.

Thanks again. I'm a happy camper.
Ok, good to know. Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm lost as to where I can find these LG 1.04 MK or Asus 3.20 MK. Here are my specs.

Brand new LG WH16NS60
FW: 1.02
Windows 10 Pro 1903

I have downloaded all files from OP's original post.

Have read this thread but still kind of lost.

Thanks
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

BoneDaddy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:24 pm
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm lost as to where I can find these LG 1.04 MK or Asus 3.20 MK. Here are my specs.

Brand new LG WH16NS60
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Thanks
If you downloaded the flasher + fw + mk firmware pack from the first post, you will find the BH16NS55 1.04 MK firmware file in MK/LG/BH16NS55. Flash this 1.04 firmware first, then you can flash whatever fw you want after that. For your drive, I recommend DE_WH16NS60_1.00.

Cheers!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 am
BoneDaddy wrote:

Brand new LG WH16NS60
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Thanks
If you downloaded the flasher + fw + mk firmware pack from the first post, you will find the BH16NS55 1.04 MK firmware file in MK/LG/BH16NS55. Flash this 1.04 firmware first, then you can flash whatever fw you want after that. For your drive, I recommend DE_WH16NS60_1.00.

Cheers!
side note WH16NS60 1.02MK is out in the new pack
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:52 am
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:33 am
BoneDaddy wrote:

Brand new LG WH16NS60
Windows 10 Pro 1903

Thanks

Cheers!
side note WH16NS60 1.02MK is out in the new pack
Should I wait and flash with that (where is the new pack). Or use the NS55 option?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

BoneDaddy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:01 am
Should I wait and flash with that (where is the new pack). Or use the NS55 option?
It does not really matter it just makes it so you only have to flash 1 firmware to it instead 2 of crossflashing and then downgrading
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
BoneDaddy

Post by BoneDaddy »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:23 pm
BoneDaddy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:01 am
It does not really matter it just makes it so you only have to flash 1 firmware to it instead 2 of crossflashing and then downgrading
So where do I find 1.02 MK?