Backup Copy of Movie Contains Unwanted Naration

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
1971Tedd

Backup Copy of Movie Contains Unwanted Naration

Post by 1971Tedd »

I am trying to backup my new Moulin Rouge Blu-Ray disk. Copying the largest file, which contains the movie, results in a version in which the movie is narrated. I had the same problem with the last blu-ray disk I tried to backup. Can anyone please explain why this is happening and how to backup the movie without the narration? Thanks for your help.
Woodstock

Re: Backup Copy of Movie Contains Unwanted Naration

Post by Woodstock »

If it's a backup, you can select the main movie audio track, rather than the "Descriptive Audio" track.

You can also use tools like mkvtoolnix to remove the DA track, so that your player doesn't confuse it with the main audio track.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
1971Tedd

Post by 1971Tedd »

Sorry. I'm just getting back to this. I gave up on it. I'm experiencing it again on another disk so I'd like to give it another shot. I copied the largest file fom MakeMKV into mkvtoolnix. It shows check marks beside 3 audio files: DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS, and AC-3. Which is the "Descriptive Audio File" that I should uncheck? Thanks for your help.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The descriptive audio track depends on the disk author. The DAT on Rogue One is not necessarily the same track number as on Last Jedi, as an example.

The only SAFE way to determine which one to exclude is to play them all, with something like VLC that will give you track numbers.
rui-no-onna

Post by rui-no-onna »

In general, the highest quality tracks are the main audio tracks (DTS-HD, TrueHD, Atmos). Regular 5.1ch or stereo DTS and AC3 are more likely to be descriptive audio tracks or commentaries.

Personally, I backup to ISO or BDMV folder first so I can easily preview the playlists/streams before extracting the MKV.
1971Tedd

Post by 1971Tedd »

Woodstock, I don't understand how I can play them using VLC. I can only see the 3 audio files while I am in MKVToolNix. How do I play a file using VLC while I am in MKVToolNix? Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You don't play it within mkvtoolnix.

You said you had done a backup; have MakeMKV open that backup (the index.bdmv file you'll find in the BDMV directory, and create an MKV file of the title you want. Play that MKV with VLC, and you'll be able to find which audio tracks are "right".

From there, you can have MakeMKV access the backup again and create the MKV file without the DAT, or you can use mkvmerge to copy everything you DO want to a new file.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

1971Tedd wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:52 pm
Woodstock, I don't understand how I can play them using VLC. I can only see the 3 audio files while I am in MKVToolNix. How do I play a file using VLC while I am in MKVToolNix? Thanks.
If you don't want to try playing the mkv file first, another option is to load your created mkv into mkvtoolnix and uncheck all of the audio tracks except for one. Mux this into a new "test" mkv file and see if it contains the correct audio. If not, delete the "test" mkv file, then do the same again, this time selecting a different audio track.

As it only takes a minute or two to mux, you should find the correct audio track within a few minutes of testing.

Also, as mentioned previously, the correct audio track is usually the best quality one. So TrueHD or DTS-HDMA track would be my first guess. Some older movies do only have DTS or AC3, so these can be a little trickier but using the process above should solve your issue.

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
1971Tedd

Post by 1971Tedd »

Woodstock & Marty: By “backup” I meant I used MakeMKV and my Blu-ray movie disk to make an MKV file. I put the disk in my drive and used MakeMKV to “open it”. The largest video file had three audio files associated with it: DTS-HDMA Surround Sound 5.1 English; nested under the DTS-HDMA Surround Sound 5.1 English was DTS Surround Sound 5.1; The third audio file listed was DD Surround sound 5.1. I selected the video file plus one of the above audio files and then clicked on “MakeMKV”. I repeated the procedure for the video file plus the second audio file. I did the same for the video file plus the third audio file. I then used VLC to view each of the 3 resulting mkv files. The result was the following.

The file containing the Video + DTS HDMA surround sound: no sound
The file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1: no sound
The file containing the video + DD Surround 5.1: narration
The file containing the video + DTS Surround 5.1: no sound
Just the video file: no sound
The file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1 + DD Surround 5.1: narration

NEXT I TRIED MKVTOOLNIX
I loaded by the mkv file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1 + DD Surround 5.1 into mkvtoolnix. The result was: MPEG-4p10/AVC/H.264; DTS-HD; AC-3; “15 entries”. I don’t know what “15 entries” means. It just said “15 entries”. One at a time, I muxed the video file with each audio file. The result was:
DTS-HD: no sound
AC-3: narration
DTS-HD + AC-3 +”15 entries”: no sound
“15 entries”: no sound
Any advice where to go from here? Thanks for your help.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

1971Tedd wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 pm
Woodstock & Marty: By “backup” I meant I used MakeMKV and my Blu-ray movie disk to make an MKV file. I put the disk in my drive and used MakeMKV to “open it”. The largest video file had three audio files associated with it: DTS-HDMA Surround Sound 5.1 English; nested under the DTS-HDMA Surround Sound 5.1 English was DTS Surround Sound 5.1; The third audio file listed was DD Surround sound 5.1. I selected the video file plus one of the above audio files and then clicked on “MakeMKV”. I repeated the procedure for the video file plus the second audio file. I did the same for the video file plus the third audio file. I then used VLC to view each of the 3 resulting mkv files. The result was the following.

The file containing the Video + DTS HDMA surround sound: no sound
The file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1: no sound
The file containing the video + DD Surround 5.1: narration
The file containing the video + DTS Surround 5.1: no sound
Just the video file: no sound
The file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1 + DD Surround 5.1: narration

NEXT I TRIED MKVTOOLNIX
I loaded by the mkv file containing the video + DTS HDMA surround sound+ DTS Surround Sound 5.1 + DD Surround 5.1 into mkvtoolnix. The result was: MPEG-4p10/AVC/H.264; DTS-HD; AC-3; “15 entries”. I don’t know what “15 entries” means. It just said “15 entries”. One at a time, I muxed the video file with each audio file. The result was:
DTS-HD: no sound
AC-3: narration
DTS-HD + AC-3 +”15 entries”: no sound
“15 entries”: no sound
Any advice where to go from here? Thanks for your help.
What are you playing them on? If a TV, I'm not surprised there is no sound as there are a lot of TV's that can't play HD audio.

If you are playing them on your computer, they all should have sound. If no sound on computer, you should install a codec pack such as k-lite. Also, what player do you use? I suggest Media Player Classic Home Cinema.

I'm still sure that the HDMA track is the correct track.

Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Most of the TVs cannot play DTS in general and/or the higher resolution HD formats from DTS and Dolby Digital (formaly known as AC3). If the TV sould play it (direct or indirect via HDMI) this gives no sound. You need an external Media Client player which converts the DTS and/or HD formats to an compatible Dolby Digital or PCM format. By the way, an Blu-ray player does this, it makes an Downmix to DD or PCM.
Good Luck :)

Post by 1971Tedd »

I am playing the mkv files on my computer using VLC media player. Most of the time there is no problem. Every once in a while I get a blu-ray disk that produces a narrative audio when I used MakeMKV to make a backup to store on my hard drive. It has never happened on a DVD. Maybe 1 out of every 10 Blu-ray disks produce a narrative audio.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

1971Tedd wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:51 pm
I am playing the mkv files on my computer using VLC media player. Most of the time there is no problem. Every once in a while I get a blu-ray disk that produces a narrative audio when I used MakeMKV to make a backup to store on my hard drive. It has never happened on a DVD. Maybe 1 out of every 10 Blu-ray disks produce a narrative audio.
Then you are definitely selecting the wrong audio. You can be quite certain (99% certain) that the correct audio track will be the one that is the best quality.

In order:
  • TrueHD / DTS-HDMA
  • DTS
  • AC3
Also, as you said you were not getting any sound on the HD audio tracks, it sounds like you are missing some codecs. I suggest you install the K-Lite Mega Codec pack on your PC. You should be able to play any audio track. I used to use VLC a few years ago but made the switch to MPC-HC and never looked back. I find it to be miles better than VLC and have never had an issue playing any of the common file types.

Cheers
1971Tedd

Post by 1971Tedd »

I installed the K-Lite Mega Codec pack and changed my default video player from VLC to Media Player Classic. The problem when away. Thank you so much!