Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
superfans124

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by superfans124 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:20 pm
That would be nice if they can add even single layer support. Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll get to play around with it. But as you said, unless they plan on hooking up a USB external official drive (LMAO) dual layer support isn't likely.
how's the new toy? was wondering if you tried streaming any official single-layered DV demos to start with.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

superfans124 wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:20 pm
That would be nice if they can add even single layer support. Mine arrives tomorrow so I'll get to play around with it. But as you said, unless they plan on hooking up a USB external official drive (LMAO) dual layer support isn't likely.
how's the new toy? was wondering if you tried streaming any official single-layered DV demos to start with.
It's quite the device! No luck with streaming any DV mp4 through plex at least. Maybe if kodi gets updated at some point we can try again.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:04 am
It's quite the device! No luck with streaming any DV mp4 through plex at least. Maybe if kodi gets updated at some point we can try again.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/ai-upscaling-n ... ?u=lock571

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Oh hell yeah. That's awesome. Yes I get that it says currently no plans for dual layer but there's at least a chance. Given the m2ts support we can have our cake and eat it to with regard to atmos. That's rather exciting.

astephon88

Post by astephon88 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 pm
Oh hell yeah. That's awesome. Yes I get that it says currently no plans for dual layer but there's at least a chance. Given the m2ts support we can have our cake and eat it to with regard to atmos. That's rather exciting.

The Plex beta with DV support was just released https://forums.plex.tv/t/release-announ ... 154124/241

So, is there currently a working method to extract mux a single layer DV into m2ts from a UHD Bluray?
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

SamuriHL wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 pm

X700 already has Atmos in M2TS. Honestly, any 4K TV capable of DV should be able to do MP4. So the shield really adds nothing in the case of DV. It's nice that it can have MKV Atmos if that's the case, on a positive side. But I am already doing M2TS on my X700 sooo… :roll:
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

bgalakazam wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:42 pm

X700 already has Atmos in M2TS. Honestly, any 4K TV capable of DV should be able to do MP4. So the shield really adds nothing in the case of DV. It's nice that it can have MKV Atmos if that's the case, on a positive side. But I am already doing M2TS on my X700 sooo… :roll:
My x700 is no longer connected to my LG OLED so that's not a great option for me. Besides the fact that I like to stick everything on my NAS. Plex curates it all for me in its library. So if it can handle atmos and DV in an m2ts off my NAS, I'll be happy.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

bgalakazam wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:42 pm

the x700 does play atmos in M2tS but only in HDR10. When Dolby vision is turned on in the display settings, you get fake DV converted from the HDR10 layer.
If the Shield can do DTS:x and DTS-HD with mp4 DV remux then this is something I'm interested in because the x700 needs LPCM audio to work.

plus there are a lot of audio drop-out with M2TS/Atmos. My HTPC and my old shield are way better for lossless passthrough.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:30 pm

the x700 does play atmos in M2tS but only in HDR10. When Dolby vision is turned on in the display settings, you get fake DV converted from the HDR10 layer.
If the Shield can do DTS:x and DTS-HD with mp4 DV remux then this is something I'm interested in because the x700 needs LPCM audio to work.

plus there are a lot of audio drop-out with M2TS/Atmos. My HTPC and my old shield are way better for lossless passthrough.
Oh they still have that nonsense "turn on Dolby Vision" issue on the x700? Yea, ok, well, yet another reason it's never going back on my OLED. LOL The UB20 is much nicer.

As for the SHIELD I shall be testing the living hell out of it once DV support is added to plex. Given that HD audio is not a true spec in MP4 land, I'm not sure if plex will handle it or not. It definitely will in an m2ts. We'll have to play and see what works once it's available.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

BETA Plex with DV single layer support is available now! :D
Please SamuriHL, let us know how it works.

superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 pm

I seem to recall my problem with Plex was that it doesn't support LPCM inside mp4 container (with MKV is fine, but not inside mp4), flat out no audio at all. Am I mistaken?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:32 pm

I would but it's not letting me install the beta version on the SHIELD. At least, I don't know how to do so. Right now mine's running 7.23 after getting the latest update. I'll see what I can find. I also have to make myself a single layer DV mp4 which will take a few minutes at most. But getting the right version of plex installed is my issue right now.

EDIT: I figured out how to get the test versions but it may take a few hours before it gets installed which means I won't get to it today unfortunately. I'll test it after work tomorrow.
Last edited by SamuriHL on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

superfans124 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

I seem to recall my problem with Plex was that it doesn't support LPCM inside mp4 container (with MKV is fine, but not inside mp4), flat out no audio at all. Am I mistaken?
yep, that's correct. I just tried with my old Shield: no audio at all.

I guess it will be The Shield for DTS:X / DTS-HD titles (if it works) and the x700 for atmos in lpcm. smh.
if someone could ever find a way to remux(not bluray structure) DV in M2TS properly, that would change everything.
superfans124

Post by superfans124 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:36 pm
superfans124 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 pm

yep, that's correct. I just tried with my old Shield: no audio at all.

I guess it will be The Shield for DTS:X / DTS-HD titles (if it works) and the x700 for atmos in lpcm. smh.
if someone could ever find a way to remux(not bluray structure) DV in M2TS properly, that would change everything.
yikes...I'm sure Plex can update that support, if they want to, at this point mp4 support is almost trivial (not to). I bet it's one of those stuck in a pile of feature requests they haven't gotten around to give any thoughts to. And, we can wait for MrMC to update, but have to wait for update, regardless :roll:
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Alright, I threw Wizard of Oz mp4 with AC3 audio up on my Plex server for now and tested it with the LG Plex app just to validate that it works at all. First MP4 I've tested so I just wanted to rule out issues with MP4 creation. I use CloneBD for that. So once the SHIELD decides to pick up the beta Plex version I can try it there, as well. With 7.23 I'm obviously getting HDR. Once 7.24 pushes to the thing it should show me DV. Then, as mentioned in the last couple posts, the fun begins with how we can maybe get some decent audio in this thing. One step at a time. Let's get DV working first. :)