NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
replicant69

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by replicant69 »

My optimism faltered when I checked and the rip had failed due to a SCSI error that points to the media being damaged :(
Plays ok on my standalone though and the surface looks clean as a whistle.
I'll try another one later and maybe it was just a one off.
replicant69

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by replicant69 »

:( :(

After the failure of my first attempt it gets worse.

Now my drive is refusing to scan my UHD discs let alone rip them ( i have tried two) and is just hanging with this error (and more the same but with different offset positions):

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02' at offset '32606060544'

Tried 2 standard Blurays, works fine, UHD's just refuse to even read so I guess it is a duffer drive (brand new on Thursday)?

Only option is to shell out and buy another drive I guess? Perhaps I'll try an LG rather than ASUS.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

replicant69 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm
:( :(

After the failure of my first attempt it gets worse.

Now my drive is refusing to scan my UHD discs let alone rip them ( i have tried two) and is just hanging with this error (and more the same but with different offset positions):

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.02' at offset '32606060544'

Tried 2 standard Blurays, works fine, UHD's just refuse to even read so I guess it is a duffer drive (brand new on Thursday)?

Only option is to shell out and buy another drive I guess? Perhaps I'll try an LG rather than ASUS.
How is your drive connected to the PC?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
mpippia

Post by mpippia »

Many thanks to Marty. I purchased a flashed ASUS drive off him and ripped two UHD discs so far and everything worked perfectly. Postage and communication were fantastic.
replicant69

Post by replicant69 »

Hi Marty
The drive is connected as the only optical inside the PC, not via external enclosure or cable adaptor.

I have subsequently borrowed another UHD disc and tried that and it worked 100%. It still won't even read the other two discs I have, just comes back with the same SCSI error. The suggest it may be the discs themselves I guess, or perhaps the encryption on them?

For reference the disc that succeeded was Oblivion, and the two that wont even read are Captain America - The Winter Soldier and The Martian.

If I was to consider getting an LG WH14NS40 in addition to the Asus, which firmware bin file would you recommend I flash it with from your files from page 1?

Thanks again.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

replicant69 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:39 pm
Hi Marty
The drive is connected as the only optical inside the PC, not via external enclosure or cable adaptor.

I have subsequently borrowed another UHD disc and tried that and it worked 100%. It still won't even read the other two discs I have, just comes back with the same SCSI error. The suggest it may be the discs themselves I guess, or perhaps the encryption on them?

For reference the disc that succeeded was Oblivion, and the two that wont even read are Captain America - The Winter Soldier and The Martian.

If I was to consider getting an LG WH14NS40 in addition to the Asus, which firmware bin file would you recommend I flash it with from your files from page 1?

Thanks again.
Yep, it could very well be the discs. Have you given the problem discs a very good clean? Doing this often solves these errors.

For a WH14NS40, if you only plan to use the drive with MakeMKV, then go with firmware WH16NS60 1.00.

Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
replicant69

Post by replicant69 »

Thanks Marty
I gave all the discs a pretty thorough clean off prior to trying them.
I've ordered an LG which is coming today, hopefully that will mean I have 2 functioning drives that between the two should cope with those troublesome discs (and any others going forward).
Thanks again
Choubs

Post by Choubs »

Good morning, everyone,
I bought an Asus BC-12D2HT with firmware 3.11. I tried to downgrade to firmware 3.00 but I get the error "Updating failure #4".
I guess this means I can't downgrade because firmware 3.11 is too recent ?

Edit : Sorry for this post, I finally managed to downgrade the firmware by following this post.
Last edited by Choubs on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Choubs wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm
Good morning, everyone,
I bought an Asus BC-12D2HT with firmware 3.11. I tried to downgrade to firmware 3.00 but I get the error "Updating failure #4".
I guess this means I can't downgrade because firmware 3.11 is too recent ?
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 821#p80596
Choubs

Post by Choubs »

Thank you d00zah :wink:
I was just editing my post to say that I managed to downgrade my reader by following this post.
replicant69

Post by replicant69 »

Hi all
Just wanted to let anyone considering the LG drive know that it has arrived, I flashed it and it has read all of the discs that the Asus refused - and MUCH faster read speed too.

Hopefully this has cracked it from here on. Thanks for all who helped out.
:D
linkghost

Post by linkghost »

Hi All,

I've just purchased another LG BU40N after my last one went bang :(, however unlike my previous purchase that came with firmware v1.02, this one came with firmware v1.03. I've been able to successfully flash it to MK1.03 thanks to: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19422, and it works fine with MakeMKV fine, however other software such as DVDFab Player etc. will not play and actually crashes the application when trying to read the disc.

Is there anything I can do to make this drive work across the board as v1.02 did when i flashed down to v1.00?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, and might I just add a massive thanks to mike and the rest of the team/contributors for the services you provide here.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

linkghost wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:41 pm
Hi All,

I've just purchased another LG BU40N after my last one went bang :(, however unlike my previous purchase that came with firmware v1.02, this one came with firmware v1.03. I've been able to successfully flash it to MK1.03 thanks to: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19422, and it works fine with MakeMKV fine, however other software such as DVDFab Player etc. will not play and actually crashes the application when trying to read the disc.

Is there anything I can do to make this drive work across the board as v1.02 did when i flashed down to v1.00?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, and might I just add a massive thanks to mike and the rest of the team/contributors for the services you provide here.
Yep, now that you have flashed MK firmware to it, you can downgrade it to 1.00.
linkghost

Post by linkghost »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Yep, now that you have flashed MK firmware to it, you can downgrade it to 1.00.
Thanks Marty, downgraded successfully.
stonko

Post by stonko »

How can i downgrade Buffalo BRUHD-PU3 with BU12 to BU10?
first,Upgrade to BU40N-BU12 using mk and downgrade to BU40N_BU10?

thank.