Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Angryunibrow

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Angryunibrow »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:45 pm
I have made a dual layer and a single layer with dvdfab off fate of the Furious and played them both back on my LG C7, there really is no difference, the light out-put looks the same, cyan, yellows and greens have the same tint, nothing is ‘obviously’ different at all,I like to think I have a very critical eye.

Same, I've tested numerous movies dual and single layer and the colors are identical. DVDFab single layer files are the real deal.

Tested on my LG C8
baker99

Post by baker99 »

yusesope wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:35 pm
The weekend has arrived! It's time to test!

In the last few days I have taken a look at the Google ExoPlayer library (GITHUB).
Today I patched their code to add support for TrueHD/ATMOS tracks inside an MP4 container.
The implementation is far from perfect but is good for testing purposes. For now it should be able to play the most common type of TrueHD/ATMOS track: 8 channels @ 48kHz in L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb configuration.
I also added FFmpeg (ver 4.2) to decode the audio if your device is not equipped with the right Hardware/Software decoder

The ExoPlayer library should be able to play video files with dvhe.05 profile (on devices that are clearly provided with the appropriate decoder + license). So, in theory, it should be possible to play MP4 files with Dolby Vision + TrueHD/ATMOS.

HERE you can find my custom Player.
HERE you can find a sample video (dvhe.05.06 + TrueHD/ATMOS)
I currently don't have any Android devices capable of decoding 4K HDR tracks. For now, I have to stop here: I can't debug the code and fix any problems because I don't have any valid device.

The Player is based on client-server logic:
  • Start the server on PC/Mac and follow the instructions (You will find a version already compiled for Windows and the source code for those using Linux/macOS)
  • Start the application (apk) on Android.

WARNING!
Being a test version, the server address is hard-coded inside the apk.
Therefore your PC/Mac must have 192.168.1.130 as local IP address.
HERE a guide for Windows/macOS (those who use Linux know how to take care of themselves 8) )

If for some reason (IP conflict, different subnet, etc..) you need to change the IP of the server:
  • Create a folder and place the apk file in it.
  • Rename the .apk file to .zip
  • Unzip the archive here (not inside a sub-folder)
  • delete the original apk
  • Go to the "assets" folder and open "media.exolist.json" with a text editor.
  • Change the ip address (do not edit after the colon ":") and save
  • Go back to the main folder. Open the META-INF folder and delete the existing * .RSA and * .SF files
  • Go back to the main folder. Select all the files and create a new zip archive. Make sure the archive is structured as follows: zip-->files&folders and not zip-->sub-folder-->files&folders
  • rename the .zip archive in .apk
  • Now it is necessary to sign the apk. Who uses Windows can utilize the tool I prepared (HERE). Start the "sign_apk.bat" file and follow the instructions. Who uses Linux/macOS can refer to the project by Patrick Favre-Bulle (GITHUB). HERE you'll find the jar file to use.
  • At the end of the process, you will find, in the same folder as the initial apk, a new signed apk file.
VirusTotal Scan
Streaming Server (eight false positives. If your antivirus detects an anomaly, HERE the reason why)
Player
When trying this on my Shiele 2019 pro (server on Windows 10 PC) all I get is a message saying cleartext traffic not supported. I'm using your test file dropped into the server.

I have tried your default app with my server PC's Wi-Fi IP set to 192.168.1.130. , I've also tried ethernet on 192.168.1.200 after modifying, signing and sideloading your apk (I can't change the ethernet address on the PC itself as have several things dependent on ot)..

Same result for both, it's like it's either not seeing the mp4 or not seeing the server, I'm not sure which.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:

In the last few days I have taken a look at the Google ExoPlayer library (GITHUB).
Today I patched their code to add support for TrueHD/ATMOS tracks inside an MP4 container.
The implementation is far from perfect but is good for testing purposes. For now it should be able to play the most common type of TrueHD/ATMOS track: 8 channels @ 48kHz in L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb configuration.
I also added FFmpeg (ver 4.2) to decode the audio if your device is not equipped with the right Hardware/Software decoder

The ExoPlayer library should be able to play video files with dvhe.05 profile (on devices that are clearly provided with the appropriate decoder + license). So, in theory, it should be possible to play MP4 files with Dolby Vision + TrueHD/ATMOS.
is there a way you / we can make it play local files directly from the device?
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm
yusesope wrote:

Local play would be nice, but as of right now this is not a functional solution (at least for me). was having the "Cleartext traffic not permitted" issue. fixed that with info from
https://medium.com/@imstudio/android-8- ... c1c9e3b803
and
https://stackoverflow.com/a/57330386 (just copied the modified files[from build directory] back into the zip/apk)
and then resigned.
But the video (not the GUI) will freeze on the current frame and audio will play. only plus is that it does trigger DV and ATMOS.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 am
yusesope wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 pm
it works, AVR show atmos with my htpc.
FusionNeo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am
The new file you just posted has proper ATMOS support too when played back on a HTPC using your tutorial. Confirmed I am getting ATMOS audio and I was able to hear sound come out of my ATMOS speakers.
Thank you both for your feedback.
RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 pm
I tried again with a movie and it works with the htpc. i wonder why it didnt work when i tried a couple days ago(didnt update any software since then)
it's magic!
FusionNeo wrote:
Yusesope, you are the man!
Thanks but the credit also goes to the user likeadoc (look HERE).
FusionNeo wrote:
Just tried the new Plex beta out on my Shield 2019 with your Dolby Vision DTS-X and DTS-HD MA and both files played back in Dolby Vision with DTS-X and DTS-HD MA audio.
I assume, the Single Layer files. Excellent news anyway!
FusionNeo wrote:
That same file will NOT play back on my NVIDIA Shield vía Plex...Do the PLEX devs need to add support?
Correct . We must inform the developers (Plex, MrMC, etc.) about the existence of this possibility and they will implement the correct decoding (as did the developers of LAV Filters).
FusionNeo wrote:
Once this file plays back on the SHIELD, then I would assume it would be trivial to use a Dolby Vision video track in place of the video track you used in that file for full TRUEHD + Dolby Vision support, is that correct?
Correct again. I've just updated my "HOW TO".
Sorry if this is a stupid question, what if there are dummy or obsvicated playlists? How does ffmpeg know which one to choose when you rip the dts-hd?
Thank you.
Hi,

You linked to a newer version of GPAC, everytime I go to the developers site the download links are always down, is there another place to get the pre-built 0.9.0 installer for Win64?

Thank you.
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:35 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 am
yusesope wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 am

Thank you both for your feedback.

it's magic!

Thanks but the credit also goes to the user likeadoc (look HERE).

I assume, the Single Layer files. Excellent news anyway!

Correct . We must inform the developers (Plex, MrMC, etc.) about the existence of this possibility and they will implement the correct decoding (as did the developers of LAV Filters).

Correct again. I've just updated my "HOW TO".
Sorry if this is a stupid question, what if there are dummy or obsvicated playlists? How does ffmpeg know which one to choose when you rip the dts-hd?
Thank you.
Hi,

You linked to a newer version of GPAC, everytime I go to the developers site the download links are always down, is there another place to get the pre-built 0.9.0 installer for Win64?

Thank you.
Here's a links to their good drive backup (link pulled from there download page)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 4sSsc1TIRL
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

justinadams wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:58 pm
...only plus is that it does trigger DV and ATMOS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In Italy when we start a sentence with "only", most of the time, it has a sarcastic and negative meaning.
I'm the one who showed you how to insert ALL lossless audio formats into an MP4 container along with a Dolby Vision track (at least one frame :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ).
What else do you want? My heart?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
baker99 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:39 pm
...all I get is a message saying cleartext traffic not supported...
justinadams wrote:
...was having the "Cleartext traffic not permitted" issue...
Seriously, thank you for your feedback.
The error is determined by the fact that the server does not include any SSL certificate and Android prevents my app from communicating with it.
I thought that by leaving the app in debug mode, Android would turn a blind eye. I was wrong, my fault!
I will fix the bug when I return from the University or at most in the next few days (in the meantime, those who want can follow justinadams 's advice)
Grencola wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:48 pm
For now I am using the demo version of their code as a structure and there is no possibility to choose a local file. I thought it was simpler and more functional to code a local streaming server: less work for me and then not everyone has available many GB of space on their devices (see new SHIELD)

Regarding the problem of video freeze, I only modified the "audio part" of the source code of the ExoPlayer library (remember, I'm the audio guy).
As far as I'm concerned, my goal is reached:
DV + ATMOS inside MP4.
If the video doesn't work it's Google's fault!

To try to figure out what's wrong, I need the app logs. As I said earlier, the player is in debug mode.
With adb it is possible to recover them.
THIS VIDEO shows how to enable debugging on SHIELD.
HERE it explains how to install adb on all operating systems.

I'm interested in the command:

Code: Select all

adb logcat > logcat.txt
Run the command (after "adb connect IP_ADDRESS") and then try to start the video on the device.
the logcat.txt file will be created in the same adb folder. You must attach this to your post (use pastebin) so that I can read it.

Who wants to help, can take a look at the source code and with the logs available help me understand what's wrong.

I remind you that I cannot compete with a team of full-time developers. I worked on the app 3h in total over three days and I can spend a few minutes each day (it's still a hobby).

I remind everyone to go and vote for FusionNeo's request because DV + ATMOS inside MP4 is possible!
Last edited by yusesope on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THX-UltraII

Post by THX-UltraII »

Hi guys,

I bought the Nvidia Shield 2015 + Denon x3600h + Sony OLED tv. I have a bunch of BDMV structure folder Blu-Ray rips on my local HDD that have Dolby Vision. Is my only option the Oppo 203 to get Dolby Vision with the Shield and these Blu-Ray rips?

I tried to get it working with Kodi 18.4 but only the HDR is played
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

First the 2015 shield has no dv support at all. Second kodi doesn't support dv on the 2019 shield at this time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

kws53

Post by kws53 »

Is there a piece of software (perhaps a driver for WIN8.1) that could determine whether a video file is producing compliant Dolby Atmos and compliant Dolby Vision? For example, something that would acknowledge that ATMOS would be shown on an equipped AVR, and DV on an equipped TV.

My 4K set is not DV compliant, but I plan to grab one during the Black Friday/Cyber Tuesday rush. In the meantime, I'd like to determine if my muxed files comply.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

yusesope wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:14 pm
Who wants ATMOS + MP4 on Android? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I created a custom codec for MX Player (based on the work of USBhost from XDA).
My Android tablet (Huawei Mediapad M3) is now able to correctly reproduce the TrueHD/ATMOS track inside the MP4 file.

To confirm what I said in my previous posts, the implementation is purely software.

HERE you will find the codec
the file has been removed from the host site, and I didn't manage to snag it quick enough. could you reupload it when you get a chance?
dubsta

Post by dubsta »

I would like to thank all of you guys for working on this and everyone testing and providing feedback. Big thanks to yusesope. Since the first time I have seen a Dolby Vision clip it has been my dream to be able to enjoy DV content directly from my Shield and it seems that we are getting closer to this by the day.
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

Grencola wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 am
the file has been removed from the host site, and I didn't manage to snag it quick enough. could you reupload it when you get a chance?
Of course, HERE are the codecs for MX Player.

baker99 wrote:
justinadams wrote:
I also fixed the "CleartextTraffic" issue.
Find the new player HERE.
Let me know in case of problems (For the DV freeze issue I need the logs).

PS:
I update the download links also in the original posts (both for MX and for the custom player)
hydrad

Post by hydrad »

yusesope wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 am
Grencola wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 am
Of course, HERE are the codecs for MX Player.

baker99 wrote:
justinadams wrote:
I also fixed the "CleartextTraffic" issue.
Find the new player HERE.
Let me know in case of problems (For the DV freeze issue I need the logs).

PS:
I update the download links also in the original posts (both for MX and for the custom player)
I tested your demo file and another one I generated myself with your new Exoplayer.

My receiver shows the correct Audio info and the TV shows the Dolby Vision logo but the image goes black and it won't play.
justinadams

Post by justinadams »

Here's logcat.
logcat.txt
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 484 times