Problems converting from file structure to mkv

Everything related to MakeMKV
Bmirak

Problems converting from file structure to mkv

Post by Bmirak »

I have a ton of movies that are either in video_ts (dvd) or BDMV (blu ray) file structure on my old media server. I want to use MakeMKV to convert them to lossless MKV so I can use them in Plex.

Problem is, I’ve tried a few conversions and they’re not working. For one, the audio is getting compressed from original format such as Dolby Digital / DTS down to a two-channel “PCM” format.

Also, in some cases the blu ray video is garbled upon conversion.

Am I messing up some settings? Is my only solution to re-rip directly from the discs?
Woodstock

Re: Problems converting from file structure to mkv

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV won't do any conversions on video, and audio conversions are limited.

The audio conversions are NOT done unless you chose either the FLAC or AAC-stereo profile, under the Advanced options (Expert mode needs to be enabled to see it).

When you're playing back the MKV files, are you doing it from a local folder, or via wireless network? Wireless (or other slow) network can introduce playback artifacts if the network cannot deliver the video fast enough.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bmirak

Post by Bmirak »

When I enable “expert mode” in settings, I now see a “profile” drop down just below the make mkv button. This drop down is set to default.

I have run a number of tests and I’m getting the same result.

First, I tested my existing blu ray rip (BDMV) and it is flawless. DTS audio, perfect video. Playing it in Total Media Theatre.

Next, I tried using MakeMKV to convert that BDMV to MKV, and now the audio is compressed to two channel PCM, and I’m getting big blotchy patches of pixelation, especially when I change chapters.

Next, I tried using MakeMKV to rip directly from the blu ray disc. The process took longer, but resulted in the same exact problems as above.

I’ve tried playing the MKVs using VLC Player and Media Player Classic. Makes no difference. Same problem with both. I am running Windows 7 64 bit.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Very strange, because the only options MakeMKV has for PCM is whether a (L)PCM source track is copied as "raw LPCM", or "LPCM in a WAVEX container". Using the FLAC profile adds "save LPCM as FLAC", and the ability to convert TrueHD and DTS HD MA as FLAC. There is no option to convert DTS to LPCM.

Now, question - have you read this topic yet? Have you looked at which tracks are being selected for each title?
Bmirak

Post by Bmirak »

I skimmed through that thread but didn’t see anything useful. I’ve already ripped the correct track to BDMV and am just trying to convert to MKV. Likewise, when I used MakeMKV to rip direct from disc, I selected the correct track. In both instances, the result has been exactly the same.

I tried updating all my codecs. I also downloaded some DTS test MKVs and have confirmed that they play great.

For whatever reason, when I use MakeMKV to convert to MKV it is messing up the video. There are occasionally bands of blocky redish pixelation that occur across the screen, and pressing chapter forward causes the movie to restart.

I guess I can’t speak for the PCM - usually that indicates 2 channel stereo on my receiver. When I play the movie from BDMV using Total Media Theater, it shows DTS on my receiver. The MKV says PCM and it doesn’t sound as rich.

I’m annoyed because I want to get a Plex media server up and running but it requires MKVs and I want lossless MKVs that won’t sacrifice AV quality. For whatever reason, I can’t seem to make these MKVs. Any help would be appreciated.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Is your receiver being fed by the TV, by chance? On my TV, it spits out 2-channel PCM back to the theater amplifier, because PCM is the only thing the optical link allows. I have to have the amp intercept other audio codecs on their way to the TV by feeding the HDMI through the amp.
Bmirak

Post by Bmirak »

Nope. Direct HDMI from PC to Receiver.

More testing with more movies, same results. Pixelation. Always at the same places no matter which player I use. There’s a problem occurring with the encode.

But I also tried a different BDMV to MKV conversion program and am getting the same exact problems.

So I am hoping this is a problem with my old Win7 PC. I just really wanted to verify that I can convert my library *before* shelling out money to build a new Plex server. Ugggggg. I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and hope the conversion works on the new rig.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Bmirak wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm
Next, I tried using MakeMKV to convert that BDMV to MKV, and now the audio is compressed to two channel PCM, and I’m getting big blotchy patches of pixelation, especially when I change chapters.
Have you checked the created MKV file with MediaInfo? As Woodstock says, MakeMKV has no option to cnvert DTS to PCM.

What do you mean with "Receiver"? If a component is not supporting a specific audio format, it is in most cases downmixed to PCM. Most TV cannot support DTS, so the Blu-ray player convert it to PCM. The first is to verify the created outfile file.

Please post a screenshot from the MakeMKV Title selection with the track infos and also the MediaInfo Text output.
Good Luck :)

Post by Bmirak »

I'll try MediaInfo tonight. I can't say for certain that MakeMKV is messing up the audio. All I know is that when I play the movie directly from BDMV, my receiver shows DTS-HD. When I play the MKV version, my receiver shows PCM. Maybe the audio is just as good - I didn't test that thoroughly. Hopefully the MediaInfo will bear out that the audio is still being converted lossless.

Then there is still the problem of the corrupted video. But given that the same result occurs with both MakeMKV and another MKV conversion program, I really really hope the problem is residing somewhere in my old Win7 rig and not with the program. Nobody else seems to be having this issue, so hopefully I won't either after shelling out $800 to build a new Win10 Plex Media Server (knock on wood). Going with an AMD Ryzen 3 3200g chipset, which should hopefully be massive overkill. I'll bring my old HDDs into the new machine to copy over the BDMVs and try converting from there. If that doesn't work I'll be re-ripping from the blu ray which takes a lot longer.

If anyone else has run into this problem, would appreciate thoughts and suggestions!
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Please do not always mix your two problems with PCM audio and the corrupt video display.
And we still not know what your "Receiver" is (this can be anything). Once more, if the "Receiver" did not notify the PC about the supported video and audio formats, the PC can downmix the audio to PCM. Maybe the plex setup is wrong .... So it is important to know what formats are in the created MKV file. How is the folder structure created? With MakeMKV backup?

Problem determination starts at the beginning and not somewhere in the middle. If the base if faulty, the result is always garbage.

Post by Bmirak »

I’m not mixing the problems. I’m experiencing two problems, and posting about them both. It is possible that one - the audio - isn’t actually a problem at all. The corrupt video certainly is.

I thought the word “receiver” was pretty self-evident. I’m referring to an AV Receiver. In my case a Sony STR-DN1080. This is the big black box that multiple AV sources fees into, and it then passed along the video to my TV while feeding the audio to my speakers.

As I explained, I have tested the MKV conversion with MakeMKV in two different ways: (1) by converting from a previously ripped BDMV (I ripped it using DVDFab), and (2) by ripping directly from the blu ray. In both cases, the video corruption is exactly the same, so I know the culprit is not the use of DVDFab to rip the BDMV. I am also experiencing the same corruption using a totally different conversion program, so I suspect the culprit isn’t MakeMKV, either, but rather some other problem with my 10 year old PC’s hardware or software.

Now onto the second issue - which to be clear is a separate issue. The audio. When I play the movie directly from disc or from BDMV, my receiver (see explanation above for what a receiver is) says the audio is DTS-HD (and it is). After converting to MKV, my receiver (see foregoing definition) says the audio is PCM.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

I know what an "AV Receiver" is ... but "Receiver" without any specification can be any kind of an "Receiver" :)

But, still waiting for the MediaInfo listof the created MKV file.

Post by Bmirak »

Ok. Built the new HTPC, it boots, it’s got a trial version of Win 10, and it’s screaming fast. Step 1 complete!

Step 2, just used MakeMKV to rip one of my blu rays (Disney Planes - first thing lying around). The video played back in VLC is flawless. The new system has solved the video corruption!!

Step 3, the audio on my receiver still says Linear PCM 2/0 48kHz. However, VLC says I’m playing a Dolby 7.1 track and I can also select a Dolby 5.1 track (doesn’t change what’s on the receiver).

MediaInfo says the MKV has six audio streams: DTS XLL / DTS / AC-3 / DTS XBR / DTS / AC-3

So.... it looks like this is NOT a problem with MakeMKV. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time.

If anybody has suggestions of why I can’t get the MKVs in VLC to play in DTS or Dolby on my Sony STR-DN1040, it would be much appreciated!!
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Nice to hear that the problems, except the PCM, are gone.

I do not use an HTPC, but I think something in the HDMI audio config is wrong. Maybe it is configured to always pass PCM and not RAW data.

Post by Billycar11 »

Change vlc to bit stream the audio
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com