Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
fitbrit

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019

Post by fitbrit »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:52 pm
fitbrit wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm
I take it there is no current way to flash a SLIM official drive to a friendly one?
What model and what firmware?
Hi Marty
Thanks for the response!
I have a couple of external LG BP60NB10 drives with ROM ver 1.00. I've managed to use the MK firmware on these. However I would like to be able to use them with AnyDVD-HD as well like I can with the flashed non-slim drives. And that ability requires a friendly drive, not an official one.

More important would be the ability to use LG BU40N drives this way. ROM version: 1.03
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Allistah wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:36 pm
Yeah I’ll be flashing it on a VM.

What are the drawbacks between these two drives, outside of cost?

LG WH16NS60, UHD Official Internal 5.25
LG BU40N, UHD Official Internal Slim Sata 9.5mm

Are their speeds the same or is the NS60 the best one? I’d prefer the slim one for portability and it’s a bit cheaper but not if I gimp myself out on drive abilities. Hope that makes sense... Any insight is appreciated.
i do not recommend flashing it in a vm if you don't have a windows pc or are not willing to bootcamp your mac i would recommend you buy one preflashed

the BU40N is only slightly slower than an NS60
but if you want faster and cheaper go with WH14NS40 with WH16NS60 firmware the only thing you lose is UHD official playback capability that you cant use on a mac anyway.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

fitbrit wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:31 pm
MartyMcNuts wrote:
fitbrit wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm
I take it there is no current way to flash a SLIM official drive to a friendly one?
Hi Marty
Thanks for the response!
I have a couple of external LG BP60NB10 drives with ROM ver 1.00. I've managed to use the MK firmware on these. However I would like to be able to use them with AnyDVD-HD as well like I can with the flashed non-slim drives. And that ability requires a friendly drive, not an official one.

More important would be the ability to use LG BU40N drives this way. ROM version: 1.03
Nope. Neither of those drives can be flashed to a "UHD Friendly" firmware. They are stuck as "Official UHD" drives.

The problem is that there aren't any laptop drives that are "friendly". They are all "official". The BP60NB10 cannot be cross-flashed at all. The others I can think of (Buffalo, Archgon) also contain a BU40N inside their respective enclosures.

If you want to use AnyDVD, your best bet would be to buy an internal 5.25" drive.

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
fitbrit

Post by fitbrit »

Thanks. That's what I thought.

The problem is that the cases I use (for work) can only take slim drives. And even that is a step-up from only being able to use slot-loading drives which had been the case so far. I do use external full size drives out of necessity, but a one-box solution is much more appealing to customers. What I'm really looking for is the ability to play a UHD disk in JRiver Media Center without having to rip it first. Sadly, MakeMKV's ability to decrypt the video stream for playback by another application has been abandoned.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:34 pm
fitbrit wrote:
MartyMcNuts wrote:

Hi Marty
Thanks for the response!

Nope. Neither of those drives can be flashed to a "UHD Friendly" firmware. They are stuck as "Official UHD" drives.

The problem is that there aren't any laptop drives that are "friendly". They are all "official". The BP60NB10 cannot be cross-flashed at all. The others I can think of (Buffalo, Archgon) also contain a BU40N inside their respective enclosures.

If you want to use AnyDVD, your best bet would be to buy an internal 5.25" drive.

Cheers
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

fitbrit wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 am

The problem is that the cases I use (for work) can only take slim drives. And even that is a step-up from only being able to use slot-loading drives which had been the case so far. I do use external full size drives out of necessity, but a one-box solution is much more appealing to customers. What I'm really looking for is the ability to play a UHD disk in JRiver Media Center without having to rip it first. Sadly, MakeMKV's ability to decrypt the video stream for playback by another application has been abandoned.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
fitbrit wrote:

Hi Marty
Thanks for the response!

Cheers
I don't think firmware 1.03 is any good for UHD.

The only thing I can think of, is flashing the BU40N to Buffalo BU10 (or apparently they now support BU40N 1.01) firmware. This is compatible with DVDFab's software, so you could then use their "Passkey" software instead of AnyDVD.

Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
fitbrit

Post by fitbrit »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:52 am
fitbrit wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:42 am

MartyMcNuts wrote:

Cheers
I don't think firmware 1.03 is any good for UHD.

The only thing I can think of, is flashing the BU40N to Buffalo BU10 (or apparently they now support BU40N 1.01) firmware. This is compatible with DVDFab's software, so you could then use their "Passkey" software instead of AnyDVD.

Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful...
Not at all. That last post could be very helpful indeed. If Passkey will work - that's fine. I did flash the BU40N to the MK 1.03 first, and then to 1.00. That allowed me to rip 4K discs. If I can crossflash to BU10 and make it PassKey compatible, that would be ideal.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

fitbrit wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 am

Not at all. That last post could be very helpful indeed. If Passkey will work - that's fine. I did flash the BU40N to the MK 1.03 first, and then to 1.00. That allowed me to rip 4K discs. If I can crossflash to BU10 and make it PassKey compatible, that would be ideal.
1.00 works with dvdfab no need for bu10
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
Allistah

Post by Allistah »

Billycar11 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:16 pm
i do not recommend flashing it in a vm if you don't have a windows pc or are not willing to bootcamp your mac i would recommend you buy one preflashed

the BU40N is only slightly slower than an NS60
but if you want faster and cheaper go with WH14NS40 with WH16NS60 firmware the only thing you lose is UHD official playback capability that you cant use on a mac anyway.
Ok so the BU40N is only slightly slower than the NS60. I’m fine with that, currently I only have the internal SuperDrive in the MacBook Pro which is rip locked. The BU40N will be pretty portable, and still pretty fast.

Anything else I should know about this BU40N slim drive? I’m going to get the Vantec slim USB case that works with flashing as well.

Hah, just thought of something, this drive works on a Mac doesn’t it?! Haha
fitbrit

Post by fitbrit »

Billycar11 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:02 am
fitbrit wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:59 am

1.00 works with dvdfab no need for bu10
Thanks for that tip. When I was finally able to navigate the mess that is the DVDFab site to get the right software, I did indeed confirm that the BU40N with 1.00 firmware works with PassKey. I bought the 5-license full package DVDFab bundle as a result. Pretty cool to be able to play a disc without ripping it first.
bosknet

Post by bosknet »

Hi,

one short question:
I want to buy the "LG BH16NS55" to rip my UHD-Blu-Rays.
In the Buyers Guide on the first site is this Drive recommended.

Is this still OK?
Thank you to all
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

bosknet wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 am
Hi,

one short question:
I want to buy the "LG BH16NS55" to rip my UHD-Blu-Rays.
In the Buyers Guide on the first site is this Drive recommended.

Is this still OK?
Thank you to all
yes as long as it meets all the requirements
troyBORG

Post by troyBORG »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:18 am
You can only flash the drive if it is newer than late 2015 and has the NS50 service code on the drive label. If neither of these are true, then do not flash it.
Yeah I bought it back on 9/18/2016 according to newegg.
It had 1.02 on it originally, and I flashed 1.03 on it a while ago.

I got it flashed back to 1.02 so I'm good.
kherg

Post by kherg »

i crossflashed a LG BU40N (slimline, internal) to ASUS BW-16D1HT. Worked with no other FW. Tried then to downgrade to LG 1.0 FW but was not possible.
I can see the device in the MKV screen with the ASUS FW, but the device doesnt work.

Any ideas?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

kherg wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:59 pm
i crossflashed a LG BU40N (slimline, internal) to ASUS BW-16D1HT. Worked with no other FW. Tried then to downgrade to LG 1.0 FW but was not possible.
I can see the device in the MKV screen with the ASUS FW, but the device doesnt work.

Any ideas?
Crossflashing Warnings:

1. Don't crossflash desktop drives to slim drives or the other way around

You need to use dos flash to recover your drive now or send it to me to recover otherwise it's ruined

And most likely the new dosflash at that if your drive had 1.03 that you need to boot in a real dos environment
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

kherg wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Any ideas?
Why would you do that!! Why not flash BU40N 1.03-MK??? As Billy said, you will now have a very hard time recovering the drive!