Spider-man Far From Home and ASUS BW-16D1HT

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
darkedgex

Spider-man Far From Home and ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by darkedgex »

So I bought this, and after spinning for some time, it fails to load and MakeMKV says "No disc inserted" when there very surely is. So I exchanged the disc for another disc from another copy and I get the same error again (first disc came from a steelbook, second disc came from a regular 4K release). Anyone else having this issue? My FW is 3.01 official. Here's the other info from MakeMKV:

Code: Select all

OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: ASUS
Product: BW-16D1HT
Revision: 3.01
Serial number: xxxx
Firmware date: 2117-03-31 14:26
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Firmware type: Original (unpatched)
Firmware version: 3.01
DVD all regions: Yes
BD raw data read: Yes
BD raw metadata read: Yes
Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled
SamuriHL

Re: Spider-man Far From Home and ASUS BW-16D1HT

Post by SamuriHL »

The new batch of steelbooks gave me some trouble, as well. I cleaned them with a microfiber cloth and was able to read them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

darkedgex

Post by darkedgex »

Yeah, I tried restarting my PC (I usually run it 24/7), and initially it read the disc, but couldn't load it (then refused to acknowledge the disc after that). It read the other new 4K MCU movies fine, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and GOTG (no keys for some of those, but it didn't struggle on the discs).

I did notice after holding it at an angle there appeared to be small micro-scratches that run along the middle of the disc (scratches that run parallel to the data). I'll see if they'll let me exchange it because I'm seeing some reports at the Blu-ray forums of people having this disc fail to play/load correctly..
Hopest

Post by Hopest »

Did you get anywhere with this?

I've just purchased Cinematic universe Phase three and the only disc it can't read and says "no disc" is Spider Man Far From Home.

I have the same drive so wondering if you resolved this or if anyone else is experiencing this with different drive or same drive?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Hopest wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:24 am
Did you get anywhere with this?

I've just purchased Cinematic universe Phase three and the only disc it can't read and says "no disc" is Spider Man Far From Home.

I have the same drive so wondering if you resolved this or if anyone else is experiencing this with different drive or same drive?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
i know this sounds extreme but take your drive apart and clean the lasers with some alcohol.

also that is the only triple layer disk in that whole set

back story,
just the other day i got a brand new drive it would read dual layer discs fine but a bit slow starting a read at about 2.3x instead of the normal 3.3x and maxing out at 6x instead of the normal 8x not an unacceptable drive but slower than the norm. so i went on with my testing and got to my known good triple layer disk i put it in and it shows no disk, ok i clean the disk ,still no disk, ok defective drive add it to the 35+, but i got curious and opened it up and looked at the laser lens looks perfect no smudge or dust this drive is brand new it should be it was built 7/22/19 but i cleaned it anyway and put it back together. i expected the same result but it could read the triple layer disk no problem and the other disk were now reading at the full 3.3x and 8x. really makes me wonder what lg has floating around in the factories for some of these drives to need a lens cleaning on the first disks it has ever seen.

side note,
i wonder if this would also fix drives that get read errors with known good disks next time i get a drive like that i will try this and see if that fixes it.

this also reinforces the my disk is perfect it just came out of box complaints even if we cant see it, it can mess up the laser reading it
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Do you want to document pulling one of these apart and cleaning it for people? I suspect that process would make people nervous if they've never done it before.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am
Do you want to document pulling one of these apart and cleaning it for people? I suspect that process would make people nervous if they've never done it before.

Sure maybe I'll start a UHD drive troubleshooting thread
But for now the basic process is:

Eject the tray while powered or the emergency eject port

Disconnect drive

Pop off the drive bezel not tray bezel 3 clips 2 on sides and 1 bottom just leave it hanging on tray it can't come off unless you remove tray bezel or tray

Remove 4 screws on the bottom

Flip back over and lift the top straight up it can take some jiggling and pulling out on the sides a bit

You then have access the laser right away

Assemble in reverse order

Or if you have a BU40N eject the tray and you can clean the laser right there lol it's part of the tray

Additional info
the disk hold down mechanism is part of the top case so you can not run disks without the case on unless your an ultra haxor

The bottom of the case has thermal pads if you remove it make sure they go back

Don't do
Ultra haxor junk:

The drive hold down mechanism removes from the top of the drive under the sticker not from inside the case it is a simple plastic disk with a pice of medal in it to stick to the magnetic drive motor head so the disk does not slip or fly off.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Thanks, that'll be nice to know in case I ever get motivated to pull my ASUS apart and clean the damn thing. That's the drive that gives me the most trouble.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Its almost like I'm asking for it got a BU40N today got read errors on a triple layer disk and a dual layer but could read another dual layer fine

Cleaned the laser with some alcohol and it works fine on all of them now.

Now I feel kinda bad i sent all those drives back, but at the same time I shouldn't have to take apart new drives to clean them and Asus drives come with a void sticker (I know the ftc says companys can't void warranty with those stickers now :D)
But I'm sure most customers won't appreciate that.

Idk why I even post this people will be like eww Billy opens your drive don't buy from him. rip me
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

They should be thankful you take the time to improve the read quality of their drive! You're right that it shouldn't be necessary though.

Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

well not all drives can be saved got an NS60 today read errors on bd 100s took it apart cleaned it and same thing oh well
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Billy, consider longer cotton swabs. While you usually can't get them at local stores, they make cotton swabs for cleaning things up to 30cm long. They MIGHT have them in a Walmart that sells guns still, or other store with a gun shop.

No need to open the drive if you can reach the laser assembly.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ohhhhh that's a good point. I got a bunch of those kicking around for other cleaning purposes. Never thought to try that. Nice!
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:20 pm
Billy, consider longer cotton swabs. While you usually can't get them at local stores, they make cotton swabs for cleaning things up to 30cm long. They MIGHT have them in a Walmart that sells guns still, or other store with a gun shop.

No need to open the drive if you can reach the laser assembly.
It is definitely a good idea but on these drives you are working blind the lasers are almost directly behind the spindle so you can reach it but you can't see what you are doing. this would work much better on drives that have the lasers on the front or sides because then you could see.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

https://www.depstech.com/endoscope

The 5m wifi one I use for stuff would be WAY overkill for drive work, but one of the USB ones would give you pictures on a larger screen than a phone or tablet.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging