Failed title - Log attached

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
ana2451

Failed title - Log attached

Post by ana2451 »

I am very new to MakeMKV (this is my first attempt at ripping).
I tried on the Polar Express DVD I have - there are 3 tracks for 3 different languages. I only selected the one for English and deselected everything else.
Every time I run, I keep getting an error and it not working.
I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong or how to remedy - I've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything helpful for my issue.
The disk isn't exactly in mint condition - some slight smudges - but I was able to get it to work with other programs so I'm not sure if it's the program or what.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
Log File
(7.94 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
Woodstock

Re: Failed title - Log attached

Post by Woodstock »

Smudges cause read errors, so it is best to thoroughly clean the disk. Scratches too; they're worst when they follow the curve of the disk.

I believe Polar Express is a Disney title, and the 3 versions share almost all the same video, so an error in the wrong place will cause problems no matter which version you chose.

SOMETIMES, though, deselecting an audio or subtitle track can let the rip pass by a bad spot; it may be that the bad spot only affects one of the tracks in the title.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ana2451

Post by ana2451 »

I can get it to work with HandBrake but not with MakeMKV - should I just use that program instead?
None of the DVDs I have are without at least some minor scratches, unfortunately, due to use over the years. Does this program only really work on brand-new or like-new discs?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

ana2451 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 pm
I can get it to work with HandBrake but not with MakeMKV - should I just use that program instead?
None of the DVDs I have are without at least some minor scratches, unfortunately, due to use over the years. Does this program only really work on brand-new or like-new discs?
Can you please test the newly-released 1.14.6, and if it still fails then post the updated log file. Thanks!
ana2451

Post by ana2451 »

Downloaded the new release and tried again - still failed unfortunately..
Attached is the log for this go-around!
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(6.81 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
deetce

Post by deetce »

I know this is an older post, but i too have been having issues with Polar Express. We even went so far as to purchase a brand new disc to rule out any condition issues. We're able to get the program to successfully open and recognize data on the disc, but the second we try to move beyond that step, we get a failure error. here's the most recent log data from our new disc. Thoughts/help would be appreciated.

Complex multiplex encountered - 16 cells and 2623 VOBUs have to be scanned. This may take some time, please be patient - it can't be avoided.
Title #1 was added (53 cell(s), 1:39:26)
Title #4 has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #6 has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 has length of 12 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8 has length of 62 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory B:/Video/THE POLAR EXPRESS DISC 1
Failed to save title 0 to file B:/Video/THE POLAR EXPRESS DISC 1/THE POLAR EXPRESS DISC 1-A1_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Make sure that you have "Log debug messages" checked on the first page of Preferences (the wrench-shaped icon). This will show more detail of WHY the rip failed.
deetce

Post by deetce »

I'll be honest, i have no idea what any of it means...
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(45.61 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Code: Select all

001002:0020 LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
---- Failed B:/Video/THE POLAR EXPRESS DISC 1/THE POLAR EXPRESS DISC 1-A1_t00.mkv
Essentially, there is a problem with reading the file. MakeMKV couldn't read it after several attempts, so it's a "permanent error" (permanent as long as it's trying to read it that time), which likely can be cleaned.

Clean, damp, soft cloth, maybe with a little dish soap, across the disk (sideways, not circular!) should help.