Virus Total showing trojan in installation file

Everything related to MakeMKV
Grif595

Virus Total showing trojan in installation file

Post by Grif595 »

Hi
wondering if anyone might know what the deal is, every av is showing it clear apart from one I've never heard of. Still putting me off though.
SamuriHL

Re: Virus Total showing trojan in installation file

Post by SamuriHL »

If you're downloading it from this website, you can be sure it's a false positive.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

Grif595 wrote:Hi
wondering if anyone might know what the deal is, every av is showing it clear apart from one I've never heard of. Still putting me off though.
Make sure your download is coming from:
https://www.makemkv.com/download/

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have any doubts, you should submit the file you downloaded to your favorite AV vendor for them to review.

Some AV vendors will flag files for certain characteristics - these "heuristic" scanners are generally set to generate false positives, in order to avoid giving a false negative response. Don't know? FLAG!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
m_x_a

Post by m_x_a »

Just to say that for the first time ever, I'm also getting a virus warning from both Windows and from my virus package (TrendMicro) when I try and run today's update.

I have of course downloaded from this site and ensured that I'm working https:// etc, so it is strange why both Windows and TrendMicro are today logging this false positive, but not yesterday.

Max
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Well, TrendMicro doesn't trigger when I submitted the download file to virustotal a few minutes ago. Cannot say why they'd detect on a local machine. I use AVG locally, and it didn't trip, either.

As mentioned before, if your AV program complains, submit the file to them and have it reviewed. As Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."
m_x_a

Post by m_x_a »

Thanks, will do.

PS: Ironically, given that your handle is Woodstock, I've just been watching CSNY performing Ohio!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, different Woodstock. Have a friend who attended THAT Woodstock, probably the only Woodstock resident that was there. He even paid to attend, rather than crashing the gate like so many others.
m_x_a

Post by m_x_a »

Amazing. I would have loved to be there.
m_x_a

Post by m_x_a »

Good news (I think?) below from Trend Micro on the "trojan" situation (I say good because Trend are one of the larger players in the protection space):
I understand that your Trend Micro program is detecting the software as a threat. Let me help you with that.

Regarding the website we have checked it and it is already classified as safe.

As for the program if it is still being detected by Trend Micro you can try to add it to the exception list.
You may refer to this link here for the exception list https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/h ... 59964.aspx

You can also file a reclassification for the software by following the link below.
https://esupport.trendmicro.com/en-us/h ... 96819.aspx
Jsauerii

Post by Jsauerii »

Glad this was posted, Windows 10 refused to run the latest saying it was a threat. Never had that before. Hopefully we can get comment from the Admin as I have had such a thing happen in the past and the site had been hacked so the safe download all thought to be safe really was a danger....

Just realized this was a necro thread uprising....