4K Quality and Blu-ray ??

Everything related to MakeMKV
Four1Seven

4K Quality and Blu-ray ??

Post by Four1Seven »

I was wondering when I make a copy of a Blu-ray and it's in MKV format straight from this program is it the same quality as playing the Blu-ray itself? I know the files are just as big being 20-30gb. I will sometimes use Handbrake to make a MP4 of it and that comes out to 4gb or so at it's highest setting that I see.

My second question is will this make copies of 4K? I don't have a 4K player or TV but plan on getting one here in a few weeks and was wanting to know if that is even possible and if you can keep original video and audio quality?

Thanks all!
oddeyeball

Re: 4K Quality and Blu-ray ??

Post by oddeyeball »

To the first question on the quality of the rip, yes it will rip at the quality of the Blu-ray itself, there is no conversion.

For the 4k video, as far as I know, currently 4k video is available on disk as UHD Blu-rays and will require a UHD compatible drive to rip. To playback 4k content at lower resolutions, that will depend on your video player. There are some 4k samples you can download to try and see if will play on your TV or your video player of choice.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

To be as clear as possible. MakeMKV is not an encoder/transcoder. What does that mean? For the long drawn out, detailed explanation Google is your friend. It will provide detailed definitions and guides on what transcoding/encoding video files with apps like Handbreak do with video quality.

This was also discussed/mentioned in your original post from November here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 207#p81207

There is advise from forum members on there that may be helpful for you to read. But in short, apps like Handbreak (which unlike MakeMKV are video encoders/transcoders) can reduce video quality depending on the compression settings chosen and file size output.

And yes, MakeMKV can backup 4K content. There are entire forum sections dedicated to this. Take the time to read the stickies/guides and posts in these subforums:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

There is already tons of information in this forum to guide you through the UHD process. You just have to take the time to read them and learn.
philb1701

Post by philb1701 »

Generally speaking, a Blu-ray will be 1080p, and 4K will usually be 2160p.
So to answer your question, no. The blu-ray will NOT be the same quality as a 4K.
If you have a 4K TV/Monitor that upscales however, the perceived quality will be
pretty close. Most people can't tell the difference between an upscaled blu-ray and a 4K.
I have noticed a difference in the quality of the audio between the two however.

So pick your poison. If it's picture quality you are mainly concerned about, use blu-ray with
an upscaling TV. If it's better dynamic audio you want, go with 4K.