John Wick 3 and 3 other BRs, "unknown volume key"

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
irishrOy

John Wick 3 and 3 other BRs, "unknown volume key"

Post by irishrOy »

I have to manually select the "index.bdmv", and after loading for a few minutes, I receive the error message
"Volume key for the Bluray is unknown - Video can't be decrypted.
Debug: Code 0 at blablablabla"

Can anyone help here?

I received the same error message on 3 other BRs I'm trying to get onto my PC.
Woodstock

Re: John Wick 3 and 3 other BRs, "unknown volume key"

Post by Woodstock »

If you're ripping from the original BD, you don't need to open the index.bdmv file.

If you're trying to rip a disk copy of a disk, such as an ISO, MakeMKV needs information that was on the original disk to do the decryption.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
irishrOy

Post by irishrOy »

Thanks for the reply!
Ah, didn't know that!

Yes, I'm ripping directly from the original BR I bought.
What file(s) do I need to open with MakeMKV, to import them onto my PC, then?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When the disk is inserted, you should have a big button that looks like a drive, and "spins" when the disk is being read.

Clicking that will have MakeMKV analyze the disk so you can select the titles to extract to MKV files.

If you click the "Backup" button instead, it will copy the whole Bluray data structure to disk, which is useful if you want to play extras and such.

With John Wick, the most likely play list you want will be brought to the top of the list.
irishrOy

Post by irishrOy »

The problem is, the big drive-icon remains unclickable.

At the start, the debug-console tells me "No usable optical drives could be found" and doesn't automatically start once I insert a disc, no matter if it's a DVD or a BR.

And when I manually try to maneuver to the "index.bdmv".

A few weeks ago this wasn't a problem, but now it suddenly happened.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Did you recently do a Windows update?

Microsoft introduced something they call "ransomware protection", which basically shuts off certain permissions like accessing optical disks directly from any program they haven't sanctioned, and you have to re-enable such access.

Searching for "Ransomware protection" will come up with a number of sites that tell you how to enter exceptions for programs, such as MakeMKV.
irishrOy

Post by irishrOy »

Yes, that must have been the problem! thanks for the tip, I will look into that.
irishrOy

Post by irishrOy »

Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Microsoft introduced something they call "ransomware protection", which basically shuts off certain permissions like accessing optical disks directly from any program they haven't sanctioned, and you have to re-enable such access.

Searching for "Ransomware protection" will come up with a number of sites that tell you how to enter exceptions for programs, such as MakeMKV.
Dude, you are my hero, your tip fixed the problem. Now all is fine again in the world!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

irishrOy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 pm
Woodstock wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Dude, you are my hero, your tip fixed the problem. Now all is fine again in the world!
For those that may come across this issue, can you please tell us all what Windows settings you changed.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
irishrOy

Post by irishrOy »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:11 pm
For those that may come across this issue, can you please tell us all what Windows settings you changed.
Ah, yeah.

I just opened the Windows Defender (the anti virus software) and maneuvered down to the Ransomware-protection and deactivated the "Prevent altering of already existing files". I will switch it back on again after I loaded my BRs onto my PC. And I will just deactivate it again once I have more BRs or DVDs to copy :D

That seemed to do the trick, my PC lists the BR-drive as available again and MakeMKV loads the BR on its own and I can click the big drive symbol.