HL-DT-ST_BD-RE BU50N

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
luger

HL-DT-ST_BD-RE BU50N

Post by luger »

What is this really? It has stickers that say it was made 23 July 2016 by Hitachi-LG. I've tried the Hitachi ODD Auto Firmware Updater, it just reports the firmware is up to date.

From the info screen from makeMKV, I see this:

OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: BD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BU50N
Revision: AS00
Serial number: KZAG8GJ4516
Firmware date: 2116-08-04 14:24
Bus encryption flags: 1F
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959

I've found somewhat similar drives on this forum, but not this one. I bought it to use with PowerDVD as part of a spec HTPC that can actually play regular 4K discs, and this errored out. Switched in a new WH16NS60, that works fine.

Really not sure if I should try to keep this, would only do it if there is a reliable path to make this a good UHD ripper - or get it to cooperate with PDVD. I've got another 10 days or less to decide if it goes back. Ideas, please.
mike admin

Re: HL-DT-ST_BD-RE BU50N

Post by mike admin »

You should have gotten a message like "saved FW dump as FW_xxxxxx.tgz. Please send this file ..."
Can you please check your MakeMKV data directory if you have any files named like that? You need to actually open a disc with this drive to get a FW dump.
luger

Post by luger »

mike admin wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:40 pm
You should have gotten a message like "saved FW dump as FW_xxxxxx.tgz. Please send this file ..."
Can you please check your MakeMKV data directory if you have any files named like that? You need to actually open a disc with this drive to get a FW dump.
Got it! I think I've attached the right one.
dump_FW_575820AF2BC1C1912236.tgz
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 563 times
TIA
luger

Post by luger »

BTW, Just wondering...

I've got a new WH16NS60, it works great with my PowerDVD, and I don't want to change that. But, why does it not throw a firmware rip as the BU50N did when trying to Backup my Alien disk with makeMKV? Is that because it is already in the database?
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

luger wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:46 am
BTW, Just wondering...

I've got a new WH16NS60, it works great with my PowerDVD, and I don't want to change that. But, why does it not throw a firmware rip as the BU50N did when trying to Backup my Alien disk with makeMKV? Is that because it is already in the database?
It’s a currently supported drive. Read the guide for the current and more popular supported drives:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

The forum search will also return dozens of discussion regarding that drive.
luger

Post by luger »

st4evr wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:13 am

It’s a currently supported drive. Read the guide for the current and more popular supported drives:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634

The forum search will also return dozens of discussion regarding that drive.
Yes, I get that much, that's why I bought it, really. Just wondering why makeMKV didn't extract another copy of the firmware. That's all. I've got the option to use IDE and do firmware the old fashioned way, so thought it might give me a .bin that I could put back after screwing around with MK versions, etc. The dang thing DOES do the freakin' sleep bug, which is ridiculous. Oh well...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

luger wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 am
Got it! I think I've attached the right one.dump_FW_575820AF2BC1C1912236.tgz
Thanks! Will be supported in a couple days. No flashing required for this one.
luger

Post by luger »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 am
luger wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 am
Got it! I think I've attached the right one.dump_FW_575820AF2BC1C1912236.tgz
Splendid! i guess i won't be sending it back, then. Was seriously looking at a BU40N at NewEgg - with vy good price from MemoryC atm - and one at Bezos.com with "Firmware version- Taiwan R1.01", wondering which would be better. Still not sure why this BU50N won't cooperate with PDVD, but i guess i'll leave it to the WH16NS60. One for the HTPC, one for the storage master! This one is reasonably quiet, and the icy dock 5.25 bay gives me a nice place to put my second Startech 35FCREADBU3. All is good!
andy864

Post by andy864 »

Hi Mike,

First off, love MakeMKV and all that you do to support it.
I have a BU50N drive and running into the same thing, with a slightly different firmware it would seem.

Drive Information
OS device name: F:
Revision: GE03
Serial number: KZZI5MG2731
Firmware date: 2118-01-22 14:36
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information

Not sure if you need this, but the firmware file dump that was created when I tried to rip a 4K disk is attached.
Attachments
dump_FW_A9F8481971AD1EF49B6F.tgz
(426 Bytes) Downloaded 512 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This one would require fw update. Please see email...
luger

Post by luger »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:22 am
Well, I must say it is nice to have working LibreDrive! Firmware version: 0.AS00U popped in when I went to test last night. Thank You!!

Was making a final check in the HTPC box, moved the WH16NS60 out of the way - the effing BU50N still errored, even though Cyberlink UHD Advisor stated all was good. Switched to makeMKV, and backup kicked right in!

That was my professed criteria, so I think I'm still keeping it. It runs quiet enough. I put it back in the Fractal Design R5, when I put the sides back on I probably won't hear it - well, almost. Nice quiet woosh right now.

Curious about one thing, though. The LibreDrive info says 'Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled'. If/when higher speed is available, can the rip speed be controlled? I don't see anything in preferences. A two layer disk backed up in ~40 minutes, three layer in ~60 minutes - this is not bad at all, IMO. Faster wouldn't break my heart, but if the little darling starts to rattle or airplane, that wouldn't be good.

Again, giant Thank You for enabling LibreDrive for my BU50N. Third disk in there now - Woo Hoo! Woosh...
Last edited by luger on Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

luger wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:26 pm

Curious about one thing, though. The LibreDrive info says 'Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled'. If/when higher speed is available, can the rip speed be controlled? I don't see anything in preferences. A two layer disk backed up in ~40 minutes, three layer in ~60 minutes - this is not bad at all, IMO. Faster wouldn't break my heart, but if the little darling starts to rattle or airplane, that wouldn't be good.
Riplock is currently not enabled for any drive outside of testing at least. It will eventually be enabled/released and support announced.
luger

Post by luger »

st4evr wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:59 pm
Riplock is currently not enabled for any drive outside of testing at least. It will eventually be enabled/released and support announced.
Thanks for that information. That is reassuring! I've never had a drive I thought was really handicapped, but I've read lots about folks changing firmware to fix riplock over the years.

As stated before, I think the current speeds are just fine, and the woosh is the right sound to hear. No need to eliminate riplock here!

Thanks again to all involved.
grazza

Post by grazza »

Howdy Mike,

I just thought I might jump on the BU50N bandwagon as my BU20N died and I didn't think to check if it was a supported drive. Sorry! I'm pasting the details as the previous users have... Really appreciate any help you could provide please :-)

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Revision: CC02
Serial number: 812HS008441
Firmware date: 2118-01-24 13:14
Highest AACS version: 72

LibreDrive Information