Forced Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
Taddeusz

Forced Subtitles

Post by Taddeusz »

How about an option to extract only forced subtitles? As sometimes forced subtitles are mixed in with the regular ones.
mike admin

Re: Forced Subtitles

Post by mike admin »

Thanks for suggestion, we'll investigate. Do you know any specific disc that uses this feature?
foghat

Post by foghat »

Has a forced subtitle option been added yet or does mkvmake include them by default? After Christmas I will be starting to rip and mkv my blurays and would love to use makemkv, as it seems like the most elegant solution out there. But not having forced subtitles is a deal breaker. Reason being, while some I know for sure, I simply won't be able to remember (or won't know) all the movies that have forced subtitles in them.

I guess, my question is, will mkvmake pickup and display only forced subtitles? If I have to include subtitles to get forced subtitles that is fine - as long as I can view only forced subtitles when watching a movie.

Thanks.

Darren.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

There is no distinction yet. But if subtitles are hard subtitles (burnt into video) then of course they will be always preserved.
foghat

Post by foghat »

To make sure we are talking about the same thing when I say forced subtitles and you say hard subtitles. Assuming a movie with english dialogue, I am talking about a movie that does not have subtitles turned on, yet in some scenes, where a different language is being spoken, subtitles will appear. I believe we are talking about the same thing.

My reason for confusion about your comment, is when I was doing my dvd conversions to mp4 using Handbrake, I has to specifically select the 'Forced subtitle' option or these hard subtitles would not appear. So, if the hard subtitles are 'burnt into the movie' as you put it, i don't understand what selecting forced subtitles would have done - unless without selecting it, handbrake somehow stripped them out?

Is it a correct statement to say that forced subtitles are always burnt into the movie and will thus appear in the mkv that mkvmaker produces?

Thanks.
Mikep

Post by Mikep »

mike admin wrote:There is no distinction yet. But if subtitles are hard subtitles (burnt into video) then of course they will be always preserved.
HI, I just started using MakeMKV today. My first project was Angels and Demond BluRay. I let the program find the BluRay in my drive and pressed the button to get it going. The result was a great MKV of the title I chose which was the theatrical version, picture and sound were great, however the hard subtitles are missing. What did I do wrong?
ringobob

Post by ringobob »

"Hard" subtitles and Forced subtitles are different things. "Hard" subtitles wouldn't technically be considered subtitles per se... it's like the opening credits, it's text that is just part of the video, and sometimes movies include "subtitles" to translate a foreign language in like that.

"Forced" subtitles are proper subtitles, they are part of their own subtitle track that is separate from the video, and they are set to only appear at certain times (such as when a foreign language is spoken.

What I don't know is if Forced subtitles are their own unique subtitle track that is always running and only has data for certain points of the film, or if they are somehow mixed in with regular subtitles and there is some trigger to show them only at certain times.
Mikep

Post by Mikep »

OK, then when I converted Angels and Demons, I guess it is the forced subtitles that are missing. When there is French spoken, on the original BluRay, there are subtitles, but on my resultant MKV, they are missing. Is there a way to have them appear in the MKV with MakeMKV?
ringobob

Post by ringobob »

Unfortunately I'm not completely sure how DVDs do forced subtitles, or what the mkv format supports. When you look at the track list for the main movie title, are there multiple subtitle tracks listed for the language you want (presumably english)? If there's only one, then I would assume that there is some kind of flag that the DVD uses to know when to display those subtitles and when not to. I would assume that makemkv doesn't support that in its current incarnation. If there is more than one, one of them might be the forced subtitle track.
GWWhale

Post by GWWhale »

When trying to convert Angels & Demons Extended to MKV format, I notice several instances where Titles less than 120 seconds are systematically ignored. I believe these titles maybe the "forced subtitles" that are suppose to appear where a foreign language (French) is spoken. I have tried to change the minimum title length to less than 120 seconds so that these titles can be included with no luck. Is there anyway that the minimum title length can be adjusted down? I tried under Preferences - DVD - Options; however the program willnot retain the setting.
Mikep

Post by Mikep »

I have experience with DVDs, but am a noob with BluRay. Where in the file list do you find the subs and what is their file extension? I was looking at some of the subtitle websites and they only offer subs for DVDs and not sure if they would sync correctly with the BluRay rip. Also, when I have done it with DVDs in the past you would have to have subs on all the time just for the few instances another language was spoken, which is a pain. There's got to be an easier way for movies like this(or learn other languages!!) :D
pennant

Post by pennant »

I know the Stars Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace DVD employs forced subtitles during some alien dialogue. The Godfather is another such title. Movies such as Inglorious Basterds are actually encoded into the video, so there isn't an issue. It would be great if MakeMKV could detect the forced subtitles and set them to auto-on in the MKV file.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

I see the problem - request noted, sometime in future MakeMKV will recognize forced flag and show it in GUI.
dbone1026

Post by dbone1026 »

Another example would be District 9
Cheers,
Damian

blog - http://dbone1026.blogspot.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
ldoodle

Post by ldoodle »

Surely if the language is different, as in films like Apocalypto or District 9, the text should be burnt into the video, as no one would want to not see it.

I've just ripped Fast and Furious (2008) Bluray using 1.4.10 and the spanish guys foreign language is subtitled, so why would it be different for District 9?