NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Drives

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
jonghotti

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by jonghotti »

Poor attempt at humor please disregard thank you.
Last edited by jonghotti on Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
aloha

Re: NEW OPTION: 'UHD Friendly' Firmware Downgrade / Cross-Flash Using Official (Modified) ASUS Flasher for ASUS & LG Dri

Post by aloha »

Hello:

@jonghotti

Not wanting to be combative but...

After reading your comment several thoughts/questions came to mind. First, let me qualify, I don't know if aacs 2.1 is used on DVD, Blu ray, and/or 4K disks, but on the surface your comment seems to be full of FUD.

1. Please provide two (2) separate links citing the information you have presented. Please don't say Google it. Obviously you already did, OR you came across it somewhere. Save everyone the time and effort and supply the link(s).
2. Given a person has paid for a disk, a "royalty fee" has already been paid (in part). Said "fee" has to allow for numerous plays or an invoice would be receive for overages. Anyone receive an invoice for excessive use of disk media?
3. No where on the packaging does it indicate use of the disk require future "royalty fee" entitlements. So exactly how is the "movie studios" going to get said person who purchased the disk address to send them an invoice? Remember, there is #2 above regarding a "royalty fee" already paid.
4. What is the magical number of allowed plays BEFORE the "movie studios" deem YOU have exceeded the allowed count?
5. Where is this magical number disclosed?
6. Are disks not allowed to be played via a computer system (vs a "normal" stand alone player)?
7. Why are disks played via "1.02" charged a fee (even for one time use) vs standard player (many times use)?
8. If 1.02 does contain a tracker, can't the tracked be "blocked" via the on-site router? (This would automatically defeat ALL future "calling home to movie studios" and is easily accomplished with a Wireshark sniff.)
9. If 1.02 is used by "MakeMKV" to make a media shift OR backup of said disk for legitimate purposes, and then said media shifted content is played, how does the "movie studios" count the number of times said content was played so as to properly "bill" the viewing party/parties for excessive viewing over the allotted views that were never disclosed as to the count, actual "allowed player" and "call home" blocked for the proper "royalty fees" to be paid (#2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8)?
10. Just where did the "movie studios" get said viewers address to send an invoice for "royalty fee" to be paid?
11. What if said viewer moved BEFORE invoice was sent?
12. What if the viewer viewed the content at a different location (IE parents house, significant other's house, summer/winter home, hotel room etc.)? Does that address get a separate allowed usage count? Does that address get an invoice? How does the "movie studio" know in fact the person being sent the invoice for viewing is/are the one(s) that actually viewed said content?

Lastly
13. What happens if the invoice received from the "movie studios" if not paid?

Sorry but to me this has way to many holes that need to be plugged BEFORE it would even be considered credible, hence the FUD comment above. I'm no attorney but I'm sure there is a few amongst this crowd that are and I'm sure they are churning ideas as to all sorts of (legal) ways this could be (easily) combatted/defeated.

Have a great day!

A
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

aloha wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 am
Hello:

@jonghotti

Not wanting to be combative but...

After reading your comment several thoughts/questions came to mind. First, let me qualify, I don't know if aacs 2.1 is used on DVD, Blu ray, and/or 4K disks, but on the surface your comment seems to be full of FUD.

1. Please provide two (2) separate links citing the information you have presented. Please don't say Google it. Obviously you already did, OR you came across it somewhere. Save everyone the time and effort and supply the link(s).
2. Given a person has paid for a disk, a "royalty fee" has already been paid (in part). Said "fee" has to allow for numerous plays or an invoice would be receive for overages. Anyone receive an invoice for excessive use of disk media?
3. No where on the packaging does it indicate use of the disk require future "royalty fee" entitlements. So exactly how is the "movie studios" going to get said person who purchased the disk address to send them an invoice? Remember, there is #2 above regarding a "royalty fee" already paid.
4. What is the magical number of allowed plays BEFORE the "movie studios" deem YOU have exceeded the allowed count?
5. Where is this magical number disclosed?
6. Are disks not allowed to be played via a computer system (vs a "normal" stand alone player)?
7. Why are disks played via "1.02" charged a fee (even for one time use) vs standard player (many times use)?
8. If 1.02 does contain a tracker, can't the tracked be "blocked" via the on-site router? (This would automatically defeat ALL future "calling home to movie studios" and is easily accomplished with a Wireshark sniff.)
9. If 1.02 is used by "MakeMKV" to make a media shift OR backup of said disk for legitimate purposes, and then said media shifted content is played, how does the "movie studios" count the number of times said content was played so as to properly "bill" the viewing party/parties for excessive viewing over the allotted views that were never disclosed as to the count, actual "allowed player" and "call home" blocked for the proper "royalty fees" to be paid (#2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8)?
10. Just where did the "movie studios" get said viewers address to send an invoice for "royalty fee" to be paid?
11. What if said viewer moved BEFORE invoice was sent?
12. What if the viewer viewed the content at a different location (IE parents house, significant other's house, summer/winter home, hotel room etc.)? Does that address get a separate allowed usage count? Does that address get an invoice? How does the "movie studio" know in fact the person being sent the invoice for viewing is/are the one(s) that actually viewed said content?

Lastly
13. What happens if the invoice received from the "movie studios" if not paid?

Sorry but to me this has way to many holes that need to be plugged BEFORE it would even be considered credible, hence the FUD comment above. I'm no attorney but I'm sure there is a few amongst this crowd that are and I'm sure they are churning ideas as to all sorts of (legal) ways this could be (easily) combatted/defeated.

Have a great day!

A
It's just a prank bro
But we recommend 1.00 because of the wider ripper compatibility that's all.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
aloha

Post by aloha »

Hello:

@Billycar11

OK, jokes on me. Haha, no worries. But what if a newbie comes by, reads that post and is not as aware as said veterans such as yourself? If it was April 1... different outlook.

But, more importantly, your comment "...we recommend 1.00 because of the wider ripper compatibility..." has me curious. How does it offer "wider ripper compatibility"? I flashed my WH16NS40 - NS50 to WH16NS60 1.02 and other than DVDFAB pitching a fit, it works flawless (both reading and burning all varieties of disk - CD / DVD/ Blu ray / 4K). My guess why DVDFAB pitches a fit is because they would like to sell you a "crossgrade/downgrade". I don't know this for a fact, but their website sure leads one (well at least to me) to believe that. That makes me wonder if someone uses DVDFAB's solution does it prevent MakeMKS for working with 4K disks using DVDFAB's flash method?

Also, if memory serves correct, I thought I read somewhere that 1.02 was the same as 1.00 (could be wrong) and that 1.02 avoided the sleep bug. Am I mistaken? If yes, then where does one get the 1.00 bin and does the 1.00 bin avoid the sleep bug also? I hate the sleep bug! Drives me insane! Hence, the reason I went with the 1.02 flavor.

From all the reading I have done regarding this subject, things have become jumbled no doubt. Fortunately, there are individuals such as yourself that help us so that we don't stay to far. The problem I see is fairly simple... There has been a ton of info written on how to side/down grade. As that info has changed (read: become more current), some of the older posts are no longer relevant (or still could be depending on how one goes about doing the side/down grade). This can lead to HUGE confusion as the instructions now have pages upon pages of what to do or NOT to do vs a post/page that clearly states (and is continuously updated) what to do given a particular drive brand, model, etc. AND the desired firmware wanted to be flashed based on the latest safest way. Granted this is a tall order as things seem to be changing rapidly at times.

One old method case in point is DOSFlash. When flashing first started it was the norm, now it's considered not safe. I just recently learned MakeMKV command line has a "secret" (safe) feature that can read a drive's firmware via "sdftool". This AFTER I spent a whole day trying to read the drive's firmware via the now unsafe way of DOSFlash (along with it's requirements), only to find out that for me it was a complete waste of time. All because I wanted the "virgin" drive's 1.04 firmware.

In the end, I used the new safe way as I gave up on the virgin firmware and just used "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and flashed "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin", reboot, and viola! 4K capabilities enabled.

Do I really care I lost the virgin firmware? Not really, as I normally would just install an optical drive and NEVER deal with its firmware. Case in point my WH16NS40 - NS40 drive works just fine with its original 1.00 firmware for regular Blu ray / DVD / CD disks both reading and burning.

For those not wanting to explore, do it on their own, etc. they have your services (and from what I read, they are SUPER FANTASTIC!). NOTE: I have never contacted Billycar11 for any assistance or used his services. BUT, that doesn't mean I have not thought of using his services now or in the future. Always nice to know there is a safety net!

Have a great day!

A
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I'm sorry my comment upset you I was fairly sure it was too preposterous for anyone to take seriously but I was wrong and have removed it. You have a great day!
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

aloha wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:39 pm
Hello:

@Billycar11

OK, jokes on me. Haha, no worries. But what if a newbie comes by, reads that post and is not as aware as said veterans such as yourself? If it was April 1... different outlook.

But, more importantly, your comment "...we recommend 1.00 because of the wider ripper compatibility..." has me curious. How does it offer "wider ripper compatibility"? I flashed my WH16NS40 - NS50 to WH16NS60 1.02 and other than DVDFAB pitching a fit, it works flawless (both reading and burning all varieties of disk - CD / DVD/ Blu ray / 4K). My guess why DVDFAB pitches a fit is because they would like to sell you a "crossgrade/downgrade". I don't know this for a fact, but their website sure leads one (well at least to me) to believe that. That makes me wonder if someone uses DVDFAB's solution does it prevent MakeMKS for working with 4K disks using DVDFAB's flash method?

Also, if memory serves correct, I thought I read somewhere that 1.02 was the same as 1.00 (could be wrong) and that 1.02 avoided the sleep bug. Am I mistaken? If yes, then where does one get the 1.00 bin and does the 1.00 bin avoid the sleep bug also? I hate the sleep bug! Drives me insane! Hence, the reason I went with the 1.02 flavor.

From all the reading I have done regarding this subject, things have become jumbled no doubt. Fortunately, there are individuals such as yourself that help us so that we don't stay to far. The problem I see is fairly simple... There has been a ton of info written on how to side/down grade. As that info has changed (read: become more current), some of the older posts are no longer relevant (or still could be depending on how one goes about doing the side/down grade). This can lead to HUGE confusion as the instructions now have pages upon pages of what to do or NOT to do vs a post/page that clearly states (and is continuously updated) what to do given a particular drive brand, model, etc. AND the desired firmware wanted to be flashed based on the latest safest way. Granted this is a tall order as things seem to be changing rapidly at times.

One old method case in point is DOSFlash. When flashing first started it was the norm, now it's considered not safe. I just recently learned MakeMKV command line has a "secret" (safe) feature that can read a drive's firmware via "sdftool". This AFTER I spent a whole day trying to read the drive's firmware via the now unsafe way of DOSFlash (along with it's requirements), only to find out that for me it was a complete waste of time. All because I wanted the "virgin" drive's 1.04 firmware.

In the end, I used the new safe way as I gave up on the virgin firmware and just used "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and flashed "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin", reboot, and viola! 4K capabilities enabled.

Do I really care I lost the virgin firmware? Not really, as I normally would just install an optical drive and NEVER deal with its firmware. Case in point my WH16NS40 - NS40 drive works just fine with its original 1.00 firmware for regular Blu ray / DVD / CD disks both reading and burning.

For those not wanting to explore, do it on their own, etc. they have your services (and from what I read, they are SUPER FANTASTIC!). NOTE: I have never contacted Billycar11 for any assistance or used his services. BUT, that doesn't mean I have not thought of using his services now or in the future. Always nice to know there is a safety net!

Have a great day!

A
1.00 and 1.01, 1.02 wh16ns60 do not have the sleep bug no official UHD firmware has the sleep bug
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
aloha

Post by aloha »

Hello:

@johghotti
You did not offend. I took it at face value and ate it hook line and sinker (and I'm a veteran IT person). Hey, it happens. I feel like a moron for not seeing it for what it actually was and I overreacted. My apologies to you! Now I feel like I must delete / kill my response so that others won't think I'm raging against you. I just got to figure out how.

I would say repost it but identify it from the get go as a humor attempt (so newbies don't get suckered) and express the real intention as being that firmware 1.00 is a little better suited compatibility than 1.02.

The one thing good that did happen out of it was that I learned firmware 1.00 is a bit more "friendly" towards other competitive software as well as normal drive usage software (hope that makes sense). I'm considering re-flashing my drives (yes plural - multiple machines) in case I ever I encounter a software that does not like 1.02.

@Billycar11
Is there a BIN file for the 1.00 WH16NS60 firmware? If yes, where? I know if I use "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and don't select any firmware it defaults to version 1.00-A4. Problem is I can't tell if this is for WH16NS60 or WH16NS40 - NS50 (my drive). I have tried looking through all the referenced firmware that I could find (mk-firmware-pack-20190319.zip, mk-firmware-pack-20191206.zip, mk-firmware-pack-20200214.zip) and none seem to offer a MH16NS60 1.00 firmware variant, so any help you may offer would be greatly appreciated.

So, in summary, my apologies to all for the overreaction. I did not mean to cause undo alarm or offense. If moderator(s) want to take appropriate action I totally understand and throw myself upon their mercy.

Regards,
A
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

aloha wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:44 pm
Hello:

@johghotti
You did not offend. I took it at face value and ate it hook line and sinker (and I'm a veteran IT person). Hey, it happens. I feel like a moron for not seeing it for what it actually was and I overreacted. My apologies to you! Now I feel like I must delete / kill my response so that others won't think I'm raging against you. I just got to figure out how.

I would say repost it but identify it from the get go as a humor attempt (so newbies don't get suckered) and express the real intention as being that firmware 1.00 is a little better suited compatibility than 1.02.

The one thing good that did happen out of it was that I learned firmware 1.00 is a bit more "friendly" towards other competitive software as well as normal drive usage software (hope that makes sense). I'm considering re-flashing my drives (yes plural - multiple machines) in case I ever I encounter a software that does not like 1.02.

@Billycar11
Is there a BIN file for the 1.00 WH16NS60 firmware? If yes, where? I know if I use "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe" and don't select any firmware it defaults to version 1.00-A4. Problem is I can't tell if this is for WH16NS60 or WH16NS40 - NS50 (my drive). I have tried looking through all the referenced firmware that I could find (mk-firmware-pack-20190319.zip, mk-firmware-pack-20191206.zip, mk-firmware-pack-20200214.zip) and none seem to offer a MH16NS60 1.00 firmware variant, so any help you may offer would be greatly appreciated.

So, in summary, my apologies to all for the overreaction. I did not mean to cause undo alarm or offense. If moderator(s) want to take appropriate action I totally understand and throw myself upon their mercy.

Regards,
A
Second link under UHD drives firmware and flashers and it's also in my how to video all all in the uhd drive guide that's pinned
aloha

Post by aloha »

Hello:

Thank you for responding. Sorry I don't mean to be dense, but today has been one of those days (I'm sure all can relate). Just to make sure, to flash my WH16NS40 -SVC:NS50 (currently with "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin" firmware) to WH16NS16 1.00

I would do the following:

1. Execute "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe"
2. Select the "DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00.bin" firmware
3. Flash the optical drive WH16NS40 SVC:NS50
4. HOLD BREATH!
5. Reboot when requested.
6. Confirm 1.00 firmware using MakeMKV
7. If confirmed, do happy dance!

I'm sure to you this all so trivial. To others (myself included) this is kind of scary stuff. But, ask me to hack the Windows registry, walk in the park!

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and valuable time in advance.

Regards,
A
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

aloha wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 pm
Hello:

Thank you for responding. Sorry I don't mean to be dense, but today has been one of those days (I'm sure all can relate). Just to make sure, to flash my WH16NS40 -SVC:NS50 (currently with "HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH16NS60-1.02-NM00100-211810291936.bin" firmware) to WH16NS16 1.00

I would do the following:

1. Execute "BH14NS40_N1.00-A4_patched.exe"
2. Select the "DE_LG_WH16NS60_1.00.bin" firmware
3. Flash the optical drive WH16NS40 SVC:NS50
4. HOLD BREATH!
5. Reboot when requested.
6. Confirm 1.00 firmware using MakeMKV
7. If confirmed, do happy dance!

I'm sure to you this all so trivial. To others (myself included) this is kind of scary stuff. But, ask me to hack the Windows registry, walk in the park!

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and valuable time in advance.

Regards,
A
yeah thats what to do or you can use the flasher in the thread you are posting in either way works
aloha

Post by aloha »

Hello:

@Billycar11

Thank you. I didn't want to put in the category of receiving help, and then not coming back to show my appreciation. I know it's not much but, THANK YOU so much! It worked flawlessly.

Have a great day,
A
GixxxerFanBoy

Post by GixxxerFanBoy »

Hi I am new to this thread, I am trying to reply to MartyMcNuts thread to downgrade/cross-flash my drive Asus i am running the program you suggested and when i am running the program my drive ejects and then a pop up window appears and says "Undating Failure #4" what do I need to do to fix that.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

GixxxerFanBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm
Hi I am new to this thread, I am trying to reply to MartyMcNuts thread to downgrade/cross-flash my drive Asus i am running the program you suggested and when i am running the program my drive ejects and then a pop up window appears and says "Undating Failure #4" what do I need to do to fix that.
Show us your drive info section in makemkv
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

GixxxerFanBoy wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm
You need to provide more information. Let's start with:

What OS?
What drive model?
What is current drive firmware?
How is drive connected to PC?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
BRDawg

Post by BRDawg »

I am trying to flash a brand new ASUS BW-16D1HT using the latest updater listed in the edit of the first post of this thread as well as a couple others I have found. I have used a USB to SATA adapted that was listed as know flashing friendly as well as directly attaching this to a serial port on a desktop. I have tried both DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.01 and DE_ASUS_BW-16D1HT_3.02.

Everytime I try to run the tool, the drive pops open and I get a error message saying "Updating Failure #4". I have tried searching for this error with no luck. Anyone seen this before or know what to try next?