Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

MastaG wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:20 pm
Thanks a lot for doing all these tests..
I'm having the exact same outcome.

I don't know if Gemini Man (HFR) is a FEL or MEL movie.. but that one was working when I merged it in mode 1 and used a broken/bugged rev of TsMuxer which gave it (wrongly) profiel 08.

Another question, did you also test a FEL movie using an usb-stick/drive?
Gemini man is FEL according to list here: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=276448. Have not tried playing off of usb yet as I don't currently have a thumb drive big enough to fit a full movie, but I don't suspect that could be the source of the problem since if it's an issue with bandwidth, you'd expect the stuttering to be more randomized rather than evenly timed between pauses.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:38 pm
Edit: Just tried Anna (FEL) with profile 6 and it stuttered as expected on my B9.
@shawnc22 does FEL stutter as well with profile 4 ?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

jcdr428 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:06 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:38 pm
Edit: Just tried Anna (FEL) with profile 6 and it stuttered as expected on my B9.
@shawnc22 does FEL stutter as well with profile 4 ?
Yep, all the remuxes I've made in profile 4 have all stuttered on the LG internal player, regardless of MEL/FEL. I still think the sample size is a bit small to conclusively say the stuttering in profile 6 videos is caused by MEL/FEL. I have only tested 2 of each for full length titles.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm
Yep, all the remuxes I've made in profile 4 have all stuttered on the LG internal player, regardless of MEL/FEL. I still think the sample size is a bit small to conclusively say the stuttering in profile 6 videos is caused by MEL/FEL. I have only tested 2 of each for full length titles.
The player probably does not detect the FEL condition. The way FEL is triggered in the RPU of profile 7 and of profile 4/6 seems to be different. So it is not as simple as copying the EL/RPU from the second track to the first.
This is what the Dolby documentation says:

Edit: if anyone is interested in parsing RPU information https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 9132A1.pdf
Last edited by jcdr428 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Ah that does seem like a plausible explanation. I personally have never gotten profile 7 files to work on my B9, but people previously in this thread have reported that dual track dual layer profile 7 mp4 remuxes made with mp4muxer play without issue on their LG C# internal players. If anyone with a C# TV can try a mp4 prof7 remux of an FEL movie, that would be helpful.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

Eg in the RPU patent:
"rpu_type specifies the type of this RPU and must be 2 for the BDA Ultra HD Blu-ray Option-A HDR coding system."
"rpu_format specifies further information related to the prediction and coding process given rpu_type. The value of rpu_format must remain the same for the entire sequence. For BDA Ultra-HD Blu-ray, rpu_format must be set to 0."
"vdr_rpu_profile and vdr_rpu_level specify the profile and the level constraints that the Dolby Vision reference processing conforms to, and must be 1 and 0, respectively, for BDA Option-A HDR."
"For BDA Ultra-HD Blu-ray, vdr_seq_info_present_flag must be set to 0."
"chroma_resampling_explicit_filter_flag must be equal to 0 for Ultra-HD Blu-ray."
etc. etc.

These values/RPUs are valid for profile 7 but may not be for other profiles.
So somebody must parse the RPU metadata for profile 7 and profile 4/6 and analyse the difference.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm
Ah that does seem like a plausible explanation. I personally have never gotten profile 7 files to work on my B9, but people previously in this thread have reported that dual track dual layer profile 7 mp4 remuxes made with mp4muxer play without issue on their LG C# internal players. If anyone with a C# TV can try a mp4 prof7 remux of an FEL movie, that would be helpful.
I just watched Knives Out which is FEL on the LG C8.
This was Profile 7 with DTS-HD MA 7.1 audio.

Zero issues.
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:57 pm

Zero issues.
:) So the best option is still to keep profile 7, until RPU info has been checked to be fully compliant.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Angryunibrow wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

Zero issues.
Made with separate tracks in mp4muxer without going through yusecope's tool first, right?
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

jcdr428 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:00 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:

Zero issues.
:) So the best option is still to keep profile 7, until RPU info has been checked to be fully compliant.
Agree, I just wish my TV could play Atmos :)
I'm converting all Atmos to DTS-HD MA 7.1 and it streams the core DTS so its something I guess.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

Zero issues.
Made with separate tracks in mp4muxer without going through yusecope's tool first, right?
Correct, this was mp4muxer and mp4box. - the old fashion way from a month ago :)
ragico

Post by ragico »

shawnc22 wrote:
If anyone with a C# TV can try a mp4 prof7 remux of an FEL movie, that would be helpful.
Yes, I did many mp4 and all play perfectly in LG C8 via plex/emby webOS apps, Some titles: First Man, Gemini man, BlacKkKlansman, Mission Impossible - Fallout, Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation, The Deer Hunter, Transformers, and many more.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

jcdr428 wrote:
Angryunibrow wrote:

Zero issues.
@jcdr428

If I use the latest tsmuxer I can drop in the BL.hevc and EL.hevc and then the blu-ray playlist to select the Atmos and make a correct Profile 7 .ts with Atmos correct?
I know if will not play on my TV, but I can select the core .ac3 file and in theory it should be just fine.

This I would prefer right now because I have no issues playing them and I know i'm playing the movie with out alteration in its true form.

I shouldn't need any other tool in this case right?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:10 pm
jcdr428 wrote:
Angryunibrow wrote:

Zero issues.
@jcdr428

If I use the latest tsmuxer I can drop in the BL.hevc and EL.hevc and then the blu-ray playlist to select the Atmos and make a correct Profile 7 .ts with Atmos correct?
I know if will not play on my TV, but I can select the core .ac3 file and in theory it should be just fine.

This I would prefer right now because I have no issues playing them and I know i'm playing the movie with out alteration in its true form.

I think that should be the expectation and worth a try, but if I'm remembering correctly, I believe that @RESET_9999 has said in the past that those prof 7 .ts files made straight from the original m2ts will only play on the x700 or oppo. If that is the case, then there's a question of what's being done different between mp4muxer and tsmuxer to create prof 7 dual track files.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 pm
Angryunibrow wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:10 pm
jcdr428 wrote:

@jcdr428

I think that should be the expectation and worth a try, but if I'm remembering correctly, I believe that @RESET_9999 has said in the past that those prof 7 .ts files made straight from the original m2ts will only play on the x700 or oppo. If that is the case, then there's a question of what's being done different between mp4muxer and tsmuxer to create prof 7 dual track files.

You know what I did try this and it only played HDR, I remember now - I've done so many tests I can't keep track.
I do not think the LG player can do DV in .ts, I even tried .m2ts for the hell of it and that was also only HDR

I would love Profile 7 with Atmos to play on my TV, even if I could only use the core .ac3 right now.
HDMI 2.1 Earc will solve that someday and it would be nice to have a full profile 7 with Atmos working.

I made the comment that tsmuxer was assigning profile 7.05, while mp4muxer was profile 7.06 - I do not know if that matters.