Ultimate UHD Drives Flashing Guide Updated 2023

Forum for discussions about UHD-capable dives
st4evr

Re: Ultimate UHD Drives Guide Updated 2019

Post by st4evr »

sadalius wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm
Hello and thank you to all that help out here. I'm new here and this looks like a great place to learn about these drives and such. I have an LG BP50NB40 on the way. I'm trying to wrap my head around the flashing procedure though. I know I have to use the Marty's modified Asus flasher and that there is a firmware pack available just for that model. I have downloaded both and the MK firmware pack as well. Do I need to flash the MK bp50nb40 1.02 first and then flash the HBD bp50nb40 1.01 and then finally take it to HDB bp60nb10? If not what would be the correct procedure to obtain both a libredrive and UHD friendly drive? My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I've been reading every chance I get and can only find bits and pieces scattered everywhere. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to take care of a site like this and to maintain the guts of everything else to make it work.
Have you read what Marty previously advised here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... B40#p87349

And here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... B10#p82911

for that particular drive?
sadalius

Post by sadalius »

Yes, I did. I've read quite a bit as per my post, but all I've found still isn't clear as to if HBD BP60NB10 1.00 firmware will enable both libredrive and ripping UHD's. I want to think that is that it should be, but wanted to see if I could find out for sure. From my original thinking, I believe I should be on HBD BP60NB10 1.00 and not MK BP60NB10. Please correct me if I am wrong.

"To enable libredrive, you need to flash the BP50NB40 1.02 MK firmware from the MK folder.

To rip UHD, after flashing 1.02-MK, you can cross-flash using the hybrid BP60NB10 1.00 firmware."
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Mikesp2 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:22 pm
asmcom wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:25 am
Hi Marty

It is a Hitachi LG-BU40N-N inside. Great design. PM me if you want more info.

Asmcom
Would anybody be so kind to help me out with this drive. I, bought it after seeing it here but i am unable to make it work.
Thanks a loit!
St4evr has been very kind and has pointed you in the right direction. Martymcnuts made this drive possible to flash and updated the patched ASUS flasher and did a brilliant job may I say. So, you should have no problems.

Happy Easter
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

asmcom wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:56 pm
Mikesp2 wrote:
asmcom wrote:
Hi Marty

Asmcom
Would anybody be so kind to help me out with this drive. I, bought it after seeing it here but i am unable to make it work.
Thanks a loit!
St4evr has been very kind and has pointed you in the right direction. Martymcnuts made this drive possible to flash and updated the patched ASUS flasher and did a brilliant job may I say. So, you should have no problems.

Happy Easter
I agree, Everyone here did a very nice job to make this happen.

However when I try to flash the Hitachi LG-BU40N-N to HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_BP50NB40-NB50-1.02-NM00700-211811011016 as per the advice here I get "Checksum is mismatched error"
sadalius

Post by sadalius »

I actually did read it. I've read quite a lot, but like I said, the information is scattered, and I'm sure it's just me but I'm just trying to figure out if I flash it to HBD BP60NB10 and stop or take it to MK BP60NB10. I appreciate every little bit. Just making sure I get it right.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

sadalius wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Yes, I did. I've read quite a bit as per my post, but all I've found still isn't clear as to if HBD BP60NB10 1.00 firmware will enable both libredrive and ripping UHD's. I want to think that is that it should be, but wanted to see if I could find out for sure. From my original thinking, I believe I should be on HBD BP60NB10 1.00 and not MK BP60NB10. Please correct me if I am wrong.

"To enable libredrive, you need to flash the BP50NB40 1.02 MK firmware from the MK folder.

To rip UHD, after flashing 1.02-MK, you can cross-flash using the hybrid BP60NB10 1.00 firmware."
As Marty advises in that post, you need to flash it to BP50NB40 1.02 MK first. Once that is successfully completed, jump onto hybrid BP60NB10 1.00 firmware second. In other words, you need to execute both flashes (one after the other in the order mentioned by Marty) to make it UHD capable.
Last edited by st4evr on Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

sadalius wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:39 pm
I actually did read it. I've read quite a lot, but like I said, the information is scattered, and I'm sure it's just me but I'm just trying to figure out if I flash it to HBD BP60NB10 and stop or take it to MK BP60NB10. I appreciate every little bit. Just making sure I get it right.
This is MartyMcNuts forte, as he is a developer on MakeMKV and a very talented one at that. I suggest you contact him directly as he made flashing this drive possible with the ASUS patched flasher and he takes the full credit for this. He is a genuine and helpful person who I'm sure will be glad to help you.
Asmcom :mrgreen:
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

Mikesp2 wrote:
asmcom wrote:
Hi Marty

Asmcom
Thanks a loit!
You gotta help us help you and be more detailed as to exactly what problem(s) you are experiencing. No mind readers in this forums, so simply saying "it does not work" or "I am unable to get it to work" and nothing else makes it difficult to properly advise within an internet forum.

What is the exact drive information as listed/presented to you by MakeMKV?

Is this connected via an USB enclosure, mounted internally, or other?

What flasher are you trying to use?

Which firmware pack did you download?

What errors are you getting if any?

Why are you trying to flash BP50NB40 firmware instead of the BU40N firmware(s) provided in the firmware packs within this forum?

Any additional relevant information you can provide as to what is happening on your end will be useful for someone to help/advise better.
sadalius

Post by sadalius »

Gotcha, I haven’t received my drive yet, but it’s in its way. I was confused about whether I needed to end up on HBD firmware or MK firmware. I guess for most it’s pretty straight forward but for me, it’s a little confusing. But with your help st4evr, I think I’m square with it. It’s a two step process instead of the original three that I was thinking. It’s to end up on BP60NB10 1.00 HBD.

Thank you so much!! I will update once my drive arrives and I get it flashed as to the results. I appreciate everyone that’s helped!!
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sadalius wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm
Hello and thank you to all that help out here. I'm new here and this looks like a great place to learn about these drives and such. I have an LG BP50NB40 on the way. I'm trying to wrap my head around the flashing procedure though. I know I have to use the Marty's modified Asus flasher and that there is a firmware pack available just for that model. I have downloaded both and the MK firmware pack as well. Do I need to flash the MK bp50nb40 1.02 first and then flash the HBD bp50nb40 1.01 and then finally take it to HDB bp60nb10? If not what would be the correct procedure to obtain both a libredrive and UHD friendly drive? My apologies if this has already been asked and answered, I've been reading every chance I get and can only find bits and pieces scattered everywhere. I appreciate the time and effort it takes to take care of a site like this and to maintain the guts of everything else to make it work.
Yep, try:

BP50NB40 1.02-MK then
HBD BP60NB10 1.00

If you get an error when trying to flash the HBD BP60NB10, flash the HBD BP50NB40 1.01 then the HBD BP60NB10 1.00.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

st4evr wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:05 pm
Mikesp2 wrote:
asmcom wrote:
Hi Marty

Asmcom
Thanks a loit!
You gotta help us help you and be more detailed as to exactly what problem(s) you are experiencing. No mind readers in this forums, so simply saying "it does not work" or "I am unable to get it to work" and nothing else makes it difficult to properly advise within an internet forum.

Why are you trying to flash BP50NB40 firmware instead of the BU40N firmware(s) provided in the firmware packs within this forum?

Any additional relevant information you can provide as to what is happening on your end will be useful for someone to help/advise better.
I probably did something wrong because The techpulse120 is listed as BW-16D1HT now in makemkv and i am unable to switch it back to BU40N. It says "Checksum is mismatched"
It will not work anymore? Can someone still solve it remotely? Of course, I pay for that!
asmcom

Post by asmcom »

Mikesp2 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:22 am
st4evr wrote:
Mikesp2 wrote:

Thanks a loit!

I probably did something wrong because The techpulse120 is listed as BW-16D1HT now in makemkv and i am unable to switch it back to BU40N. It says "Checksum is mismatched"
It will not work anymore? Can someone still solve it remotely? Of course, I pay for that!
PM me please.

Asmcom
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

asmcom wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:48 am
Mikesp2 wrote:
st4evr wrote:

PM me please.

Asmcom
Done
Mikesp2

Post by Mikesp2 »

Mikesp2 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:53 am
asmcom wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:48 am
Mikesp2 wrote:

PM me please.

Asmcom
Done
Wow I've been helped by Asmcom this morning. This guy is fantastic.

He spent quite some time using remote desktop to get my drive in order which I messed up myself. There I could see that he really knows what he is doing. Because I flashed a completely wrong firmware myself, it was no longer possible to remotely get it right again.

But it doesn't end there. He suggested that I send the drive to him to fix it at his place with his tools. For someone I didn't know yesterday, I have to say that this is incredible service. After all, I did not buy this drive from him and yet he helps me so well. Top, really top!

I buy a new UHD friendly drive from him anyway, just for backup.

Recommended!
sadalius

Post by sadalius »

ok, I got my new drive in (B50NB40) and got it flashed to BP60NB10 1.00 HBD successfully, thanks too all for that. In the drive info of makemkv it says Unrestricted read speed: Possible, not yet enabled. Is that anything to worry about? I know it's going to be limited to USB speeds, but anything that can help speed it up would be great!!