Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Sgt Hartman wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 am
badrobot wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 am
If the moive contains more than one m2ts file, use tsmuxer to merge those m2ts files first.
Noted, thanks mate!
Just drag the mlps in to tsmuxer that will auto merge all the files on output.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

whats the reason to go for each profile? what is the best to take with mp4muxer? i'm using now profile 7 on my LG C9.
kws53

Post by kws53 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:08 am
Grencola wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:00 am
tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:32 am
This is basically just what mp4muxer does (for an mp4), that's why the actual .exe is so small.
Pretty much, though with .ts / .m2ts now working with dv I'm not sure we need mkv. I suppose PGS subtitles and proper chapter support is handy to some people (pgs to srt is such a simple conversion, and who even uses chapters? :lol:).
I still use chapters! to the point of digging up an old plex metadata plugin to add them onto ts files during the import process :lol:
Chapters are particularly useful in concert videos, as they delimit each song. How does one "add them onto ts files". I own a Plex Pass.
kws53

Post by kws53 »

Sgt Hartman wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:44 am
badrobot wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:44 am
If the moive contains more than one m2ts file, use tsmuxer to merge those m2ts files first.
Noted, thanks mate!
Drive the remux from the mpls playlist (easily found by using eac3to ".../eac3to a:"). And if using tsmuxer already, why not directly create a DV/Atmos compliant M2TS file directly?
tr000

Post by tr000 »

kazuma wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 pm
whats the reason to go for each profile? what is the best to take with mp4muxer? i'm using now profile 7 on my LG C9.
Whatever works on your device.

But seriously—just keep it simple. You'll drive yourself crazy looking for the best profile, audio codec, stream container, etc. etc. The only thing that separates profiles in terms of quality is use of BL, EL, and RPU, and how it affects FEL and MEL (Google), but even that is highly debatable. Theoretically one more accurately represented the 12-bit DV mastering color space but I still doubt there is a meaningful difference on current hardware.
Angryunibrow

Post by Angryunibrow »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 am
tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:19 am

Yeah, just throw it in TSMuxer like Grencola said.

I agree, even the atrocious Roku Media Player plays .ts files. Though, It doesn't change much for me since it doesn't do DTS or True-HD, just E-AC3.
I use a shield, but the Plex app on LG TV's will not play a .ts DV file. So mkv would help others
Plays M2TS though.
Not on my C8, .ts or m2ts DV only trigger HDR
jcdr428

Post by jcdr428 »

FYI, the request for support of Dolby Vision in MKVToolNix has been accepted by Moritz Bunkus:
https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/issues/2784
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:48 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am
Angryunibrow wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:26 am

I use a shield, but the Plex app on LG TV's will not play a .ts DV file. So mkv would help others
Plays M2TS though.
Not on my C8, .ts or m2ts DV only trigger HDR
Hi, I serve to the internal Plex app on my C7 & C9 from a shield and M2TS play fine in DV, do you use Plex or LG player, if LG player I will try it, don’t want to digging about at the back of them to plug in usb cables unless I have to.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:44 pm
kazuma wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 pm
Whatever works on your device.

But seriously—just keep it simple. You'll drive yourself crazy looking for the best profile, audio codec, stream container, etc. etc. The only thing that separates profiles in terms of quality is use of BL, EL, and RPU, and how it affects FEL and MEL (Google), but even that is highly debatable. Theoretically one more accurately represented the 12-bit DV mastering color space but I still doubt there is a meaningful difference on current hardware.
I was in this a while ago, I was an advocate for Dolby Vision ripped from UHD disk to mp4 and then played back from new Shield via Plex.

At some point I got pissed off with not being able to successfully mux Atmos into the mp4 files, so I bought the Oppo 203 clone, being a previous Oppo 203 owner I knew the player had a few bugs that never got fixed and a really uninspiring interface, bought the clone anyway.

Even now we are muxing Atmos into TS/M2TS files I can’t go back to the Shield, there is something off putting about its colour reproduction of any Dolby Vision file ripped from UHD disk, when you see it next to the ChinOppo you can clearly see it is doing some sort of nearest neighbour with the UHD BD colour profile.
I’m not sure if there is anything Nvidia can do about it TBH.
daddy

Post by daddy »

tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:09 am
So after 10+ hours of agonizing labor, Jumanji did not work through any method in mkv form or m2ts form. I will begrudgingly watch it in HDR10.
DV never worked in mkv files.
I did Jumanji last year and it works in .mp4 profile 7 (play by dlna on LG C7)
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

So I'm watching dolby vision remuxes on my c9 oled tv (stored on an external hdd connected via usb, played using the tv internal player) without audio, because I use headphone on my pc so everytime I have to play the same film on the pc to get the audio through headphone. Is there an easy way to synchonize between the video on the tv and the audio coming from the pc?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am
So I'm watching dolby vision remuxes on my c9 oled tv (stored on an external hdd connected via usb, played using the tv internal player) without audio, because I use headphone on my pc so everytime I have to play the same film on the pc to get the audio through headphone. Is there an easy way to synchonize between the video on the tv and the audio coming from the pc?
uhhmm plug your headphones into tv
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:01 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:42 am
uhhmm plug your headphones into tv
I use dolby atmos for headphone on pc to get virtual surround sound though.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 am

I use dolby atmos for headphone on pc to get virtual surround sound though.
that is an inferior experience to having the headphones plugged into the tv
its just wrong in so many ways
sound that just works is better, atmos is best on a real surround setup not the virtualized widows thing the other tracks on the movies are professionally down mixed not some on the fly windows stuff it will sound better and be much easier to use and all be insync
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
tr000

Post by tr000 »

daddy wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 am
tr000 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:09 am
So after 10+ hours of agonizing labor, Jumanji did not work through any method in mkv form or m2ts form. I will begrudgingly watch it in HDR10.
DV never worked in mkv files.
I did Jumanji last year and it works in .mp4 profile 7 (play by dlna on LG C7)
I mean mkv to mp4, of course. It may just be my source files, and the fact that my TV does 4 and 5 only.